Blackfriar

Items of general interest

Moderators: Global Moderators, Pandabean

Dennis

Blackfriar

Post by Dennis » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:11 am

Hi,

Is there an area in Scotland known as Blackfriar and di it have a legacy of gangsterism?

All the best. dennis
Names of interest: Lennox McKenna Airth Skirving Veitch Laird Drysdale Bennett Colledge Baird Blades Barker Dow Mitchell Perkins Rielly Stewart Tulloch Wright Ure, Ritch Richardson, Whyte
Places of Interest: Dunbarney, Forfar, East London (S.Africa)

ninatoo

Post by ninatoo » Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:33 am

Blackfriars was a registration district in Glasgow but I don't know about gangsters. Others here will probably be able to tell you more.

Nina
Researching: Easton ( Renfrewshire, Dunbarton and Glasgow), Corr (Londonderry and Glasgow), Carson (Co. Down, Irvine, Ayrshire and Glasgow), Logan (Londonderry and Glasgow)

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:38 am

Hi Dennis
I think the name Blackfriars is quite common in Scotland, just as is Greyfriars - there is a street named Blackfriars in Edinburgh, and an area in St Andrews, and one in Perth; there are probably lots more!

As far as I remember the Blackfriars were a Dominican order, whereas Greyfriars, also a common name for streets or areas in Scotland, were Franciscan.

Do you have any other clues to go on with the Blackfriar you have seen mentioned?

Best wishes
Lesley

Merlot
Global Moderator

Post by Merlot » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:56 am

Hi Dennis,

Here is a map showing the area of Blackfriars which, I assume, has been swallowed up by surrounding districts.

http://www.douglasbrown.co.uk/glw74map.html

Cheers,

Merlot
Researching:- Cameron, McMillan, Gray, McLean, More, Hastie, McLiver, Dunipace.....

joette
Global Moderator

Post by joette » Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:39 pm

Just going by it's location I would hazard a guess it was a fairly "rough" area whether that equates to Gangsters??
Researching:SCOTT,Taylor,Young,VEITCH LINLEY,MIDLOTHIAN
WADDELL,ROSS,TORRANCE,GOVAN/DALMUIR/Clackmanannshire
CARR/LEITCH-Scotland,Ireland(County Donegal)
LINLEY/VEITCH-SASK.Canada
ALSO BROWN,MCKIMMIE,MCDOWALL,FRASER.
Greer/Grier,Jenkins/Jankins

Dennis

Post by Dennis » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:42 am

Hi:)

I had received some information thru GR that the Blackfriar area of Glasgow had some 'gangsters' with the surname Bowes.

dennis
Names of interest: Lennox McKenna Airth Skirving Veitch Laird Drysdale Bennett Colledge Baird Blades Barker Dow Mitchell Perkins Rielly Stewart Tulloch Wright Ure, Ritch Richardson, Whyte

Dennis

Post by Dennis » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:45 am

Merlot,

Thank you for that map reference; it makes a number of places of BMD easier to locate.

dennis