Help with Isabella Connor, born Edinburgh 1871.

Items of general interest

Moderators: Global Moderators, Pandabean

Lanarkshire Lassie

Help with Isabella Connor, born Edinburgh 1871.

Post by Lanarkshire Lassie » Thu May 28, 2009 10:27 pm

The above, Isabella, was a younger sister of my gt grandfather, James Morrison, I believe. :?

What puzzles me, is why Isabella was born as Isabella Connor( mother's maiden name ?).

Iam first aware of Isabella, on the 1881 census. She is registered as Isabella Morrison. She is living with her father and other siblings, in Bo'ness, Linlithgow. Her mother, Ann Connor, has died, 22/1/1878.

I had looked for a birth of an Isabella Morrison, around Edinburgh, as listed on census. No results!

Whilst searching my tree, and posting on various geneology sites, it was put to me, that I consider Isabella Connor, as James' sister.
When Isabella is born, her parents are given as Ann Connor and William Connor.

As Isabella was born at Craiglockhart Poorhouse, 3rd July 1871, I wonder if it suited her parents to give these amended names. I should also say, that it was an official from Craiglockhart, who registered Isabella's birth. Not William, her father. William registered earlier and later births, of his children.

I would be grateful for any suggestions. I appologise if I have posted this on any other thread.

Many thanks

Gail :D

ps. I would appear that there is no marriage, listed for William Morrison and Ann Connor. Each child's birth (aside from Isabella) gives a different place/time of marriage. However, when Ann died, her DC lists her as being married to William Morrison.

And when William subsequently marries his housekeeper, Elizabeth Aitken, he is given as widower, at time of marriage!!
Building the family tree, twig at a time.

Wylie/Stirling/Pender/Coventry--Old Monkland
Morrison/Gilchrist/--Edinburgh,Lanarkshire

paddyscar
Site Admin

Post by paddyscar » Thu May 28, 2009 11:38 pm

Hi Gail:

Perhaps there was a break in their marriage at the time? Have you looked at the poor house records to see why Ann was there and the particulars of her circumstances at the time? Was she there alone or with the other children? Perhaps William was absent without leave or a guest of the crown?

You can track down the sources for poor house records for Craiglockhart Poorhouse http://www.workhouses.org.uk/index.html ... urgh.shtml

Frances