A little moan.....

Items of general interest

Moderators: Global Moderators, Pandabean

garibaldired

Post by garibaldired » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:54 pm

Hi Lesley,
Can't you persuade your son to return to Edinburgh a few days earlier??
A lovely idea and he'd be willing but the cost of 2 nights and all that petrol is my limit I'm afraid. :(

Ann,
so had to stay on the outskirts.Then when we drove in early the next morning
I stay outside Edinburgh and use the excellent park and ride which is easy and cheap. :)

Best wishes,
Meg
Main family lines are Harpers from Midlothian, Fife & Kinross-shire, and Dobies/Dobbies from Midlothian. Also Strathearn, Stobie, Layden and Downie.

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:39 am

Unlike England where most of the holidays apply across the whole country, Scotland has a tradition of local holidays. In September, the Edinburgh Monday holiday is always around this time (I think always the third Monday in September). There is a similar holiday the following Monday in Glasgow.

I agree with the comments above that taking the car into Edinburgh city centre is a hassle - can be an expensive hassle. If I head into NRH or the like, I wouldn't consider taking the car nowadays. Even in the rush hour, there aren't many parts of the city more than 30 minutes from the city centre by bus. If you are near one of the few railway stations in the Edinburgh suburbs, then it is even quicker, but dearer.

All the best,

AndrewP

Russell

Post by Russell » Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:06 pm

Hi Meg
To get back to the original thrust of the thread :roll:

I have a couple of photos of the Piershill layout covering sections B and G. They are not very good because of 'flash' bounce but may be of some use to you. I have sent them by private e-mail to you.

Russell
Working on: Oman, Brock, Miller/Millar, in Caithness.
Roan/Rowan, Hastings, Sharp, Lapraik in Ayr & Kirkcudbrightshire.
Johnston, Reside, Lyle all over the place !
McGilvray(spelt 26 different ways)
Watson, Morton, Anderson, Tawse, in Kilrenny

garibaldired

Post by garibaldired » Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:41 pm

Russell,

Thanks very much. Have replied by email.

Meg
Main family lines are Harpers from Midlothian, Fife & Kinross-shire, and Dobies/Dobbies from Midlothian. Also Strathearn, Stobie, Layden and Downie.

annpa

Post by annpa » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:53 pm

Edinburgh is blessed with a number of park & Ride car parks with a very reasonable fare to get into the city. As far as I could make out it was a standard 1.20 per journey or £3 for an all day ticket which meant you could get on and off at will. They are situated at various points just off the ring Road.
We went up a couple of weeks ago, staying at the Camping and caravanning camp site at Carfraemill, just 4 miles north of Lauder, staying in one of their wooden chalets for a week. we found it extremely handy.
I had a great time at NRH and found some interesting info from the recent entries, which is not available on SP, apart from a bit of an index. Do go there if you can. It is an amazing place and the staff were extremely friendly and helpful. In spite of being there for a whole day, I didn'at get all the details I wanted so we will definitely go back next september.
The Park & Ride bus dropped me off at the end of North Bridge and I just had to cross Princes street (or what ever that end is called) and there I was.
We didn't have to take the car into the city at all. The P&R was at Sherriffhall
I took the opportunity to visit a couple of elderly aunts (83 and 90 - not related) and had a great time with memories of people I had Known and also some I had not known.I made the effort this year as another aunt died suddenly at the end of February just before her 90th birthday. I even managed to get hold of my brother. we also managed several days exploring the Border abbeys and such and altogether had a really lovely time.
When, on entry to the abbeys, Abbotsford etc, they asked if we had heard of the "Homecoming" I said "I have come home". I didn't think I was the sentimental kind but it was a great feeling. Most of those places I haven't seen for 50 years!
and as for the welcome everywhere - I knew we Scots were friendly, but this was amazing. and How the food has improved!
and this is a Weegie praising the Burgers ( is that the right term for those from Edinburgh?

Cheers to all
Annpa
[size=75] Annpa Fincher seeking
[b]FARQUHAR[/b] Paisley, Glenlivet;
[b]CASEY, CRAMPSEY, KELLY, CROSSAN[/b] Glasgow, Stirlingshire, Lanarkshire;
[b]SPARKS[/b] Inverness-shire, Glasgow, Norwich;
[b]MATHESON[/b] Banff, Ross[/size]

walnut

Post by walnut » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:58 am

Ann In the UK wrote: I have to say the Mitchell was the best of the bunch. Easy access, I even managed to get a parking space outside.
Sorry to thread hijack, but just wondered how normal finding easy parking is at/near the Mitchell? I've only ever been by train, and hadn't even looked for car parks/parking lots etc nearby - but an elderly relative wants me to take him there soon, and I think driving in would be better than the train for him. If all else fails I can let him off nearby and pick him up later.

Falkyrn

Post by Falkyrn » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:49 am

There is some on street parking in the area but it generally fills up very early and is metered and patrolled zealously
The best bet for parking would probably be the multi storey car park in Elmbank Street near the Charing Cross station.
~RJ Paton~