old kirk session minutes

Items of general interest

Moderators: Global Moderators, Pandabean

shaigh

old kirk session minutes

Post by shaigh » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:37 am

I live in new Zealand and was wondering if there is anywhere closer than Scotland where I could view Kirk session minutes for 1700 and 1800 for Renfrew, Ayr and Lanark (not Glasgow - mainly Carmunnock and Old Monkland). I've come across odd ones but usually only a couple of years. Any help appreciated.
Sue

AndrewP
Site Admin

Re: old kirk session minutes

Post by AndrewP » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:48 am

Hi Sue,

There is an intention for these to be put online at some time. The paper originals are mostly in the hands of NAS - the National Archives of Scotland. They plan to put them online on the ScotlandsPeople website. I think most, or all(?), of them have been digitised, as they can be viewed on screen at NAS in Edinburgh. So in the meantime, apart from an expensive journey, you have to wait on this reaching the top of NAS's 'to do' list.

All the best,

AndrewP

Montrose Budie

Post by Montrose Budie » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:56 pm

Hi Sue

These digitised records can now also be viewed at many major libraries in Scotland, so that, if you have friends in Auld Scotia, one of them may be able to assist you.

It has previously been suggested that, given the Scottish diaspora, it would surely be appropriate to allow such access to major libraries in 'diaspora' countries such as NZ......

I'll have a dig, and see what is the current situation ............

mb

Alan SHARP

Post by Alan SHARP » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:31 am

Thanks for the suggestion mb. Sue has at least one in the UK, who has done quite a bit of family research, and I have another in Edinbrugh, that I could contact, if Sue has a specific request. We are distant cousins, and though she is researching different lines to me, we do keep in touch.

Alan SHARP.

Montrose Budie

Post by Montrose Budie » Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:55 am

A wee burd has suggested to me, not unexpected as regards previous web chat on the subject, - see http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/Conte ... ?r=551&973, for example, as regards various comments in the minutes of the SPUG, - that a subscription based access to kirk session records may be launched at some point during 2012.

mb

Montrose Budie

Post by Montrose Budie » Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:07 am

Hi All

For the moment, the only way of viewing these digitised records in Scotland, apart from visiting NRS in Edinburgh is to visit one of the following archives, -

Aberdeen City and Aberdeenshire Archives: Aberdeen
Ayrshire Archives: Auchincruive, Ayr
Ayrshire Archives: Burns Monument Centre, Kilmarnock,
Highland Council Archives: Archive and Registration Service, Inverness
Highland Council Archives: Lochaber Archive Centre, Fort William
Highland Council Archives: Caithness Archive Centre, Wick
Orkney Library and Archive: Kirkwall
Scottish Borders Archive and Local History Centre: Hawick
Shetland Islands Council Archives: Lerwick
Stirling Council Archives: Stirling
Zeeuws Archief: Middleburg, Netherlands

This list derives from the NRS website at http://www.nas.gov.uk/about/101101.asp .

Glasgow and Edinburgh appear to be sadly lacking !

Why the Middleburg archive?, - because they still hold original Church of Scotland records, deriving from trade with Scotland.

mb

Alan SHARP

Post by Alan SHARP » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:01 pm

Thanks for the update mb. I drove by Sue's place twice in the weekend, but did not have enough time to drop by to see if she was in. My plans for the weekend turned upside down, when I discovered a Cambodian friend was in the country on a visit to his family.

Alan SHARP.

Montrose Budie

Post by Montrose Budie » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:25 pm

I can confirm that it's my understanding that GROS/BrightSolid hope to launch subscription based access to the Kirk Session records on ScotlandsPeople in 2012. When exactly during 2012 as yet unclear, but hopefully sooner rather than later.

In addition, hopefully quite early in 2012 the first of a new set of databases will be launched on ScotlandsPeople, an inter-census valuation roll. The first one may be 1915.

mb

jennyblain

Post by jennyblain » Sun Dec 25, 2011 2:49 pm

Thanks for the update on the KS minutes, Montrose! I'm greatly looking forward to them. Currently have a long list of things to check, but don't know when I'll next be in Edinburgh.

Jenny
(delurking...)
http://wyrdswell.co.uk/ancestors

mallog

Post by mallog » Sun Dec 25, 2011 6:48 pm

I managed to have a short peek at the KS records recently and they will be compulsive viewing. The case I located was quite amusing but I felt sorry for the people concerned whose misdemeanours are going to be read by a nation of researchers !
Anderson, McAlpine, Blue - Argyll
Dunn Fife /ML
Coutts, McGregor - Perth/Govan
Glen, Crow, Imrie - Angus
Scott & Pick ML
Mason - Co Down