Local history groups

Items of general interest

Moderators: Global Moderators, Pandabean

kennethm

Local history groups

Post by kennethm » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:28 pm

A friend and I are going to start a local history group in Eaglesham later this year.

To get started we're planning to hold a talk about the history of Eaglesham together with a mini local history exhibition. There's appears to be a lot of interest locally especially generated by the recently launched Eaglesham Heritage Trail so we're hopeful it'll be successful. I guess a range of interesting talks will be important.

I'd love to hear from anyone who's been involved with a local history group or similar.

Best wishes,

Kenneth

Russell

Re: Local history groups

Post by Russell » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:32 pm

Hi Kenneth
I started a local history group here in Kilbarchan about three years ago but it has gradually modified into a family history group generally. we started with fairly small numbers but a couple of folk dropped off as they were mainly interested in maps rather than history. I use the local history as much as possible if I'm explaining some aspect of genealogy e.g. church secession episodes, Old Parish Records, burial grounds.
Lots of the detailed village history is already covered within the broader context of Renfrewshire by the shire history group so I accepted the inevitable and now stick to genealogy.
It sounds like you have wider local interest than I have here. Good luck with the new project.

Russell
Working on: Oman, Brock, Miller/Millar, in Caithness.
Roan/Rowan, Hastings, Sharp, Lapraik in Ayr & Kirkcudbrightshire.
Johnston, Reside, Lyle all over the place !
McGilvray(spelt 26 different ways)
Watson, Morton, Anderson, Tawse, in Kilrenny

Alan SHARP

Starting a like minded group.

Post by Alan SHARP » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:41 am

Greetings Kenneth.

Good on you for putting your hand up, and giving the local history a go. Future generations will come to thank you.

When I left school, to work on the family farm, I was invited to join the local Young Farmers Club. When the first AGM came up, the retiring Chairman [single year terms] phoned me and advised me, who in my area had cars out of action, and asked if I could round them all up. I filled Dad's 1958 Morris Oxford Station Wagon up to overflowing, and attended my first AGM.

Suffice to say they ran a blackboard nomination system, of writing down names, with mover and seconder, and seventeen year old self, did not know how to stand up for myself, to say no. Fortunately they had elected the Chairman , Vice Chair and Secretary, before my group of happy travellers spotted an opportunity to block vote, so I found myself duly elected Club Treasurer, Ploughing Committee Secretary / Treasurer, 3rd delegate to District Council [instead of Vice Chair] liaison with Country Girls etc etc.

Being thrown in the deep end, it was sink or swim, but proved to be a great training ground for years of service, on a host of community activities, including being an annually, since the early 1980's, elected committeeman, on the large international NZ Agricultural Fieldays.

From my experience, I would suggest you start with a small group, like you would a local house Church, to see where the collective will and direction lies. Be low key, but formal enough, to obtain a bank account, and have a simple formalized structure of aims and objectives.

All such groups, are hard work and dedication, behind the scenes, to make all meetings appear well organized, and seam less. My late wife and I, would spend hours each week, preparing within their formalized programme of achievements, the next two hour weekly meeting of activities for Brownies & Girl Guides. Plus many more, organizing the away activities.

Strong leadership is an advantage, but with that sometimes comes disenfranchisement and division, so a formalized constitution becomes essential once a group grows in momentum. To keep a freshness, encourage formal, and informal, exchanges with other like minded groups. You will find that if you can keep a group together of over say twenty regular supporters, then organizing activities is easier. You don’t need a very high percentage of support, for any one activity, to still have a viable group to host a guest, or for organizing an away activity and transport. [Hire a mini buss, group travel discounts etc.] It can be surprising what is achievable by even a small group of like minded people. Doors will open, that would otherwise be closed to the individual.

Don’t be afraid to get the local politicians involved as guests, [it’s called net working] and if a family member has the ability, rope them in for setting up a simple web page as your means of communicating with your public. Otherwise if you already have a good local community web page site, see if you can get a regular spot to present your news and activities therein. Keep it fresh and regularly updated.

Nothing worse than to revisit a site, only to see the same old – same old copy.

They, like your group, will need a measure of public support.

All the best for your project.

Alan SHARP.

kennethm

Post by kennethm » Wed May 09, 2012 9:06 pm

Many thanks Russell and Alan for your words of encouragement and suggestions.

We're looking forward to getting a local group established - going to get our launch meeting organised and use the months ahead to promote the idea. We've got the support of the Eaglesham and Waterfoot Community Development Trust which is great. We're lucky to have a good community spirit in the Village.

Best wishes,

Kenneth

Russell

Post by Russell » Wed May 09, 2012 10:17 pm

Hi Kenneth
I hope your inaugural meeting goes well. I left things a bit too informal so our draft constitution hasn't been adopted yet despite everyone agreeing with the contents. Try and pick out potential executives so that you set out with a working committee as soon as possible otherwise folk will back off and leave everything to you. Try to bring in a little business at each meeting until members are accustomed to working within the framework of a constitution. Whatever yo do don't get suckered into trying to hold down all the potential committee positions even if you have to teach them how to do things.

Russell

kennethm

Post by kennethm » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:58 pm

Plans are advancing to form a history society in Eaglesham. Hoping to hold an open meeting with an illustrated talk towards the end of September.

Best wishes,

Kenneth

Russell

Post by Russell » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:18 pm

Hi Kenneth
Wearing my hat for another local charity I have been trying to develop a submission to the Heritage Lottery Fund.they are happy to fund local activities which advance understanding of, and participation in local history provided it includes as many local people as you can persuade to join up. You must have a specific focus and your talk might trigger a proposal to set up some kind of display, even if only temporary.

Good luck with things

Russell

Hibee

Post by Hibee » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:13 pm

www.adams-of-adamsrow.com
Adam(s): Newton, Midlothian
Brock: Orkney/Leith
Bridges: Leith
Sweeney: Ireland/Leith
Brown: Edinburgh/Hamilton

Alan SHARP

Post by Alan SHARP » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:55 pm

Greetings, for a moment there I thought you must have found Guy Fawkes, however I then looked at the news clip. Todays incident becomes history, to look back upon, by future generations.

We look fowrward to Kenneth's report. Thanks for the news flash Hibee.

Alan SHARP.

kennethm

Post by kennethm » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:59 pm

Anyone got a hardhat?

There was a big bang and my house shook!

...then a shower of rock.