New LDS site

Items of general interest

Moderators: Global Moderators, Pandabean

StewL

Re: New LDS site

Post by StewL » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:30 am

Hello MB
I just had a look at the new LDS site, looks like I will have to learn how to use the new one now :D
I noticed it brings up more information, next try I will be more specific with the search criteria.
Like everything new, we will all have to learn how to use it, then I think it will be like an old friend :)
Nothing stays static in this world of the internet.
Remember when TS changed!
Stewie

Searching for: Anderson, Balks, Barton, Courtney, Davidson, Downie, Dunlop, Edward, Flucker, Galloway, Graham, Guthrie, Higgins, Laurie, Mathieson, McLean, McLuckie, Miln, Nielson, Payne, Phillips, Porterfield, Stewart, Watson

Alan SHARP

Post by Alan SHARP » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:23 am

Greetings,

This is the link to UK research I was doing in December 2009, and saved in my favourites.

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/default.asp

It was right on the changeover.

Alan SHARP.

Andy

Post by Andy » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:30 pm

I've still got my bookmarks and favourites for the the old site but can't get into the old IGI (Home page) or even my direct link to the IGI (not pedigree, submitted lines etc.) I can't access the old search engine.

The new search engine is far more advanced than the old one but has become so "User Friendly" and powerful that it's become "User Unfriendly". Blanket searches by county, for instance, are nearly impossible because pop-ups appear to "help" you search by parish.

On the plus-side literally millions of extra records are available - just harder to find.

A few of the older posters will attest to the fact that I manipulate Databases better than most - I've got a few days off so will try to draft, a draft, of how I get the best out of the the new Family Search system.
Searching for Keogh, Kelly, Fitzgerald, Riddell, Stewart, Wilson, McQuilkin, Lynch, Boyle, Cairney, Ross, King, McIlravey, McCurdy, Drennan and Woods (to name but a few).

Also looking for any information on Rathlin Island, County Antrim, Ireland.

jgmills

Post by jgmills » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:38 am

Hi,

On the new LDS site front page, there is a link at the very bottom of the page that says remote assistance, follow this link, again on the very bottom of the next page you will see a link to ' Use the previous version of FamilySearch.org' this takes you to the old site, via a popup that suggests you try the new site, just click the link to carry on to the old site. You can then go into the advanced search, though you will have to use the 'all resources search' as the IGI search does take you to the IGI on the new site. I haven't tried the other options, as I promised myself I would try and get to grips with the new site, but it's hard. :(

As an aside, Peter Cameron and Anne Doull of Paisley LDS Family History Centre gave a talk on the new FamilySearch website to the Glasgow & West of Scotland FHS recently. Anne was very competent on the use of the new site, so you could contact them I'm sure they would be able to point you in direction of online tutorials in the new site. I believe they did pass out a document with useful tips in using the new site, you could ask them about that.

Cheers
John

Andy

Post by Andy » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:36 pm

Thanks John,

It's hard to keep up with everything that is going on so any posts that saves me time is a bonus.

Cheers,

Andy
Searching for Keogh, Kelly, Fitzgerald, Riddell, Stewart, Wilson, McQuilkin, Lynch, Boyle, Cairney, Ross, King, McIlravey, McCurdy, Drennan and Woods (to name but a few).

Also looking for any information on Rathlin Island, County Antrim, Ireland.

gwennypenny

Post by gwennypenny » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:12 pm

is this a better site to use than the ancestry one? I have had NOT any luck finding people, but then I come here and people find for me...not sure what I do wrong or if the ancestry site is not good

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:07 pm

gwennypenny wrote:is this a better site to use than the ancestry one? I have had NOT any luck finding people, but then I come here and people find for me...not sure what I do wrong or if the ancestry site is not good
It really depends what you are looking for.

A wee bit about the LDS site from the TS Library -

What Scottish records are on the IGI?

There are different sets of records found on the IGI. Referring specifically to the Scottish entries, there are those extracted from the records and those submitted by LDS members. The ones that are readily proved are the extracted ones which are from the Old Parochial Registers (OPRs) for pre-1855 and from the civil records 1855-1875. The extracted records are specifically births (or christenings for the majority of the pre-1855) of 1855-1874 and marriages (or proclamations of banns for the majority of pre-1855) of 1855-1875. The extracted records on the IGI do not include the deaths.

The site is indexing more and more records - for instance some Scottish census records can now be found there but for those I would recommend searching Ancestry for census transcriptions which will help when you want to view the original at Scotland's People.

The new LDS site is taking a wee bit of getting used to but you'll eventually get the hang of it. Once you get back a wee bit further back in your research (ie before 1875) you'll find the site to be an amazing free resource. One way I use the LDS is for a 'parent search' - this brings up all the children registered (1855-1875) or christened in an established church (pre 1855) to a couple. I then use that info to search for the children on census records at Ancestry.

All that said both Ancestry and the LDS site can give you a help along the way but only SP can provide the concrete evidence you need to validate the info you find. I know you've discovered this already with Flora. :D

Hope that's helped a bit.

Regards,
Annette

mallog

Post by mallog » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:30 pm

I hated the new site. Maybe they thought if they made it awkward it would encourage folk to go to ancestry. It will do the opposite for me. Feel they are taking over the free sites :(
Anderson, McAlpine, Blue - Argyll
Dunn Fife /ML
Coutts, McGregor - Perth/Govan
Glen, Crow, Imrie - Angus
Scott & Pick ML
Mason - Co Down