1880s Watercolour - A H Greig? Where?

Items of general interest

Moderators: Global Moderators, Pandabean

arthurk

Re: 1880s Watercolour - A H Greig? Where?

Post by arthurk » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:47 pm

mac wrote:Just a thought. Would it be worth trying to find out if it was A H Greirson?
That's a good suggestion, though a quick search hasn't brought up anyone likely. Do you know of an A H Greirson who might fit the bill?

Something I'm afraid I forgot to mention here before (though it is in the thread at Rootschat) is that on the back of the mounting board is a scrawled pencil note which appears to say "Miss Greig" with the figure 2 underneath. I presume this is something to do with getting it framed, and while it's not absolutely conclusive, it probably suggests that Greig may be more likely.

Anyway, the search goes on. I've sent a query off to the National Gallery of Scotland, but won't hear back till after the bank holiday.

Arthur
Kennedy (PER > LKS > ARM > England); Campbell, Rutherford, McDonald, Sinclair (all PER)
Wilson, Millar (RFW & LKS); Duncan (LKS); Hastings (KKD) (all > WRY)

apanderson

Post by apanderson » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:35 pm

I don't think it looks anything like the Pap of Glencoe.

I'm up that way pretty often and have seen it from almost every angle and I don't see any similarity at all.

Sorry! :?

Anne

Andersonic

Post by Andersonic » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:08 pm

From just the image shown, the technique may suggest that it could well be the work of a talented amateur rather than a professional artist. That's in no way to denigrate it, just sadly it could mean that it is near-impossible to establish exactly who she was with certainty. It's a nice work, though.

kenspeckle

Post by kenspeckle » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:13 am

Hi The name caught my attention ...

I have a cousin Annie Howell Greig b 1860 in Edinburgh 1881 she was a governess she married Dr Adam MacVie in 1887 and moved to Baildon Yorkshire, She went to Australia in 1933 with her daughter Katherine who married Wilfred Cranswick in 1922 Penzance, Cornwall they also lived in Oxon Cheshire 1953
Annie H died in Queenbyan NSW Australia in 1948
I have no idea if this is her who did the painting and have added her places in case it links with where you bought it
but her sister Christina Clerk Greig was a landscape artist and was an art student in 1881 and an artist (landscape) in 1891 census
her father John had Greig's Engineering Works in Fountainbridge

best regards Lesley
researching : Roddick, Stewart, Combe,Lyle , Wilkie, Budge, Kirkwood,Howat, McKinlay, Gunning, Gumprecht, Mirrlees, Muckersie, Greig, Moncrieff, Pattison, Hornibrook, Teape, Brockhoff,Buchanan,

arthurk

Post by arthurk » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:58 pm

Hi Lesley

Thanks for the reply - that's really interesting. The family it came from lived in Yorkshire, not too far from Baildon, so I wonder if they bought it there, either directly from the artist or via a dealer. I'm not sure exactly who bought it, or when, but my great grandfather Samuel Bartle (1854-1937) was quite a keen art collector, though not in a position to buy anything particularly expensive.

I don't know if you have any examples of your Annie's signature, but this is a close-up of what remains of the one on the painting:

What do you think?

Arthur
Kennedy (PER > LKS > ARM > England); Campbell, Rutherford, McDonald, Sinclair (all PER)

kenspeckle

Post by kenspeckle » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:33 am

Annie signed the census in 1911 and the A looks exactly the same no front arm also looks as if she filled in the whole thing I reckon we are on the money [cheers] can you pm me and I can send you by email the census doc they lived at NETHER HALL hubby Adam was a doctor

the enumerator also has similar A but his J is different

regards Lesley
researching : Roddick, Stewart, Combe,Lyle , Wilkie, Budge, Kirkwood,Howat, McKinlay, Gunning, Gumprecht, Mirrlees, Muckersie, Greig, Moncrieff, Pattison, Hornibrook, Teape, Brockhoff,Buchanan,

kenspeckle

Post by kenspeckle » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:49 am

just looking at her notes Hubby Adam died Feb 1933 in Suffolk and she left for Aust later that year in Dec with Daughter son George Enrnest McVie was a Surgeon and lived in Baildon Bradford area

he died in 1941 was married to a Hilda Atkinson Siddall at Wharfdalle Yorkshire
the other son John Greig Macvie who died in 1964 Birmingham was a Dentist in Erdington and married a Marion Hamilton Black at Stoke on Trent 1926

arthurk

Post by arthurk » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:21 pm

Thanks for the replies. I've found the 1911 census entry myself now, and I agree that the writing looks very similar to what's on the painting - apart from the "r" in Greig. I'm not sure, though, how we can know whether it was Annie or her husband Adam who filled in the form; as far as I know it was normally expected that the head of the household (ie the man) would sign it.

None of the names you mention seem familiar to me, but I do have extensive family connections in the Bradford, Leeds and Wharfedale areas. So if the painting was left with George when she emigrated, it might somehow have made its way to a dealer or saleroom, and then been snapped up by someone in my family.

Anyway, that's all for the public board, but I'll send you a PM a bit later.

Arthur

kenspeckle

Post by kenspeckle » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:28 pm

free ancestry this weekend

http://www.ancestry.com.au/queensbirthday

smiddykilry

Post by smiddykilry » Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:59 am

https://a.msn.com/r/2/BB1fz0aJ?m=en-gb& ... InAppShare

Hi an old post but came across this today, click on the above and scroll down to a view of Ben Nevis.

Smid
Dunn, Rough, Smith, Bruce, Paterson, Paton. Wylie,
Stewart, Reid, Gardiner, Rollo, Turner, Dutch, Laing, Forsyth, Robb, Hardie.
Kennedy, Kandow, Winter, Vollum, Hastie.