William & Agnes Allison

Items of general interest

Moderators: Global Moderators, Pandabean

rosieno1

William & Agnes Allison

Post by rosieno1 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:57 am

I am trying to trace what happened to my great great grand uncle ( brother of my great great grandfather)!

The family arrived in Muiravonside, south of Falkirk, just before the introduction of civil registration. They have not been found on the 1851 census, but the eldest two brothers Joseph ( approx. 1832 dob), and Hugh (approx. 1833 dob, and my great great grandfather) are both to be found in the opr's for muiravonside in 1854, getting married. All other evidence suggests they were roman catholic, so I was quite surprised to find them in the opr records(but happy too!) Josephs first child was born in 1855, and because of that I know joseph was born in County Tyrone, Ireland.

William ( as above), with a dob approx. 1840 was 3rd of seven children who came to Scotland, with the youngest, Bridget being born in 1850 (approx.) in Ireland. William married in 1870 in Bathgate, to Agnes Wilson (from Polmont, near Muiravonside), and a year later, William also states he was born in Tyrone, (1871 census),confirming that that might be where my Allison forebearers came from!! It was really great when I learned that!!.

In 1881, William & Agnes have 2 young children, and are found on the census at Meadowfield Square, New Monklands, Lanarkshire. ( Not far at all from his home in Muiravonside). The children are James & Agnes ages 5 and 2 years, respectively.

After this I find no trace of them in the records, I've looked for the children in subsequent census, i've looked for death certs, and I've looked for a marriage for Agnes at an appropriate time down the line. I can find nothing obvious, and am beginning to suspect that they might have emigrated. However they were no longer young - William would have been into his 40's by this time. I have looked for them, on and off over the last 4-5 years, but have got nowhere, and because of lots of other more fruitful avenues to pursue, I have never persevered!

I would be most grateful if anyone could help with this wee brick wall - I am not good at dealing with them, as, by and large, my tree has been really easy to trace (well at least till you go back to Ireland).

I may have missed something obvious, but if anyone else finds it, I would be very happy!
Last edited by rosieno1 on Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nelmit

Re: William & Agnes Allison

Post by nelmit » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:25 pm

They are on the 1900 census at Illinois - minus Agnes :( snr plus another child.

I don't know if this link will work but if not you can search the LDS site. https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... n499250888

Regards,
Annette

rosieno1

Post by rosieno1 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:47 pm

Wow Annette! Thanks!!

The link worked! I have looked up the birth certificate for Margaret - and found it too!.
As I am not very au fait with the names involved, could you help me with the specifics at the top of the
certificate.

State:- Illinois, obviously!
County:- Mill/Will/Hill etc.
Reed Township??
City of Braidwood??

Thanks a lot!! for your help!

rosieno1

Post by rosieno1 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:53 pm

I've checked myself, there is a Will county, and a Reed Township therein!

Braidwood is also a city in Will county - so worked it out myself!!

Thanks so much!

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:57 pm

Hi rosieno1,

I'm afraid I'm not too hot at US towns either but here's how it's indexed -

residence: 1900 ED 145
Reed Township Braidwood city Ward 3-4,
Will,
Illinois,
United States

I see you've done it :D but I'll post this anyway.

Regards,
Annette

rosieno1

Post by rosieno1 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:35 pm

Thanks so much - I never think to use Family search as I don't find it too user friendly, but guess I should persevere!! When it comes to searching abroad I tend to hold off until Ancestry has one of their free weekends, etc. - but I either miss them, or forget who it is I desperately need to search for in the US census returns, or Australian records etc!! Must be my age.

Whatever, Family Search seems to have undergone another transformation since I last looked at it. Will have to spend an evening investigating!!