can i ask for some help please

Items of general interest

Moderators: Global Moderators, Pandabean

jannette

can i ask for some help please

Post by jannette » Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:59 pm

Hi
i am wondering if anyone can help me please , trying to trace Great Grand Fathers Family ,which i really know very little about ,
nor his DOB ,
i have his death as 25th Feb 1873 at 73 King Street Glasgow aged 40 ,born Paisley Causewayside
Parents Charles and Elizabeth Renfrew both decd at time of his death
i was wondering if anyone could help me with either their deaths or if a marriage or more children ,
i got this information off a poor relief application , which is a confusing thing , as he gives that he isnt married to a Agnes McPherson the Mother of his Children ,
but why i dont know as she was a Elizabeth Cameron who died 1872 at King Street add
on first Childs BC it gives as Charles the Father at same add , Frances Stewart he gives a date oof marriage to Eliz Cameron , nothing found and other papers state unmarried
when James my Grand Father was born he was Reg by his Maternal Grand Mother and reg as James Cameron 71 King Street ,
after the children were taken into Orphange somewhere along the line my Grand Fathers name changes to Stewart , when he marries he states Agnes as his Mother ,
when his Sister died he signed her death Cert and i am sure he has Agnes as Mother as well ,
not sure whats been found to change all this as he always said his Mother was Eliz Cameron , names his first Child After her Mother , Frances ,just dont know where he has found this out , there is nothing on his BC to state that he changed his name and on his death cert it gives James Stewart Formally Cameron, ](*,) its been a long haul trying to work all this out . grateful for any ideads---------------thank you

LesleyB

Re: can i ask for some help please

Post by LesleyB » Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:22 pm

Hi jannette

And welcome to Talking Scot. :D

Have you followed him backwards in the census records to see who he is with and which surname he is using? Very often just being able to place someone with other family members can shed a little light on what the situation was.
James my Grand Father was born he was Reg by his Maternal Grand Mother and reg as James Cameron 71 King Street
What was the date of this birth? Where is King Street (what town or city?)
i have his death as 25th Feb 1873 at 73 King Street Glasgow aged 40 ,born Paisley Causewayside
Parents Charles and Elizabeth Renfrew both decd at time of his death
Can you clarify what you mean here please: What is the name of your great grandfather who died in 1873? How do you know he was born at Paisley? Is this place of birth mentioned in the poor relief document or have you seen it elsewhere too? What was the surname given for the parents? I though initially it must be Renfrew from what you have written, but I'm now beginning to suspect that may be where they lived? The more information you can give us, the easier it is for us to try to help you with your research.

Best wishes
Lesley

jannette

Post by jannette » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:08 pm

Hi Lesley
sorry , its King Street Glasgow ,i have nothing in between his birth and marriage , i went from his death to marriage as i knew this info , definitely no birth cert in Stewart
then i found him as Cameron ,
couldnt be certain but a few of his children used the middle name Cameron , i can only find so much as looking for names like Frances born around 1895 , Janet 1897 these 2 died ,France prob around 1904 as shes noted on a poor relief application , Janet was there as well at that time .
i have some stuff i can send you ,but not willing to share online
i have tried looking for Eliz Renfrew in Paisley 1840 up , hard to narrow which one she can be , i used to have a Free Census site but lost it many years ago and cant find free access do you know if there is any , and as my Grand Father went into the orphanage aged around 6 ,i dont know where he was from 1872 till he married , i know his Sister age 9 went to work in a house as a Domestic , as this info was given , and she was there till her death age 24

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:31 pm

Freecen is free:
http://www.freecen.org.uk

But check here first as not all years are complete.
http://www.freecen.org.uk/statistics.html

It might be worth collecting what you can from there and also from ScotlandsPeople - this is a pay-per-view site but has all the original census pages and also births, marriages and deaths in full. And sometimes, as many of us know, the devil is in the detail, so the more records you can see in thier full, original version, the better as it may help with the problem issue.

Best wishes
Lesley

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:42 pm

James my Grand Father was born he was Reg by his Maternal Grand Mother and reg as James Cameron 71 King Street
What is the date of his birth?

jannette

Post by jannette » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:23 pm

Lesley
i have tried NRH and spent big bucks looking at wrong stuff and finding nothing , i also read somewhere that not everyone Reg BDM ,trying hard on the little i have and proving not very much at this stage ,
this started years ago , i have just come back to it , but not sure i am finding it any easier to find
thanks for the sites
jannette

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:22 pm

Hi Jannette,
Jannete wrote:i also read somewhere that not everyone Reg BDM
Since 1st January 1855, it has been the law that every birth, marriage and death in Scotland is registered in the General Register Office for Scotland via its network of registrars. There may be a very few that escaped registration over the years, but on the whole almost all registrations are there somewhere in the system on the ScotlandsPeople website (or in the ScotlandsPeople Centre).

All the best,

AndrewP

jannette

Post by jannette » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:00 pm

i meant for what i was looking for in 1831 or further back , could be why i am getting no where , i cant find a birth for Charles Stewart born around 1831/33 with parents who are Charles Stewart -Elizabeth Renfrew , her surname isnt showing up , i have no marriage for them , cant find anymore siblings to these parents ,
it says on Charles death cert in 1871 his folks were dead , tried deaths , i cant get this woman at all , and plenty Charles Stewarts but nothing to tie him as correct Father unless they could be younger than i am thinking ,i have Paisley Causewayside , not sure if this is a add or a area of Paisley ,but wondering if there was Family there as my Grandparents moved there from Glasgow after 1905 , i know they ended up in Newton Street till he died ,this is what i have found through some records , and my pc died a death and i lost everything off my hard drive and what i have is little that i had printed off ,i have the death cert for Charles who died 1873 but not sure how to show it
jannette

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:19 am

Hi Jannette,

As his death was in the City Poorhouse, and details given by the governor's clerk, it would be worth trying to verify these details. The best place to start would be in the Poorhouse Records in the Mitchell Library in Glasgow. Was his mother Elizabeth from Renfrew, rather than Elizabeth Stewart, ms Renfrew as given on her death certificate? The poorhouse records may give some other information that would give you more leads to work on.

All the best,

AndrewP

jannette

Post by jannette » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:51 am

thanks andrew
well if she ever was Stewart , i dont have proof of any of this , i just have Eliz Renfew on Charles death cert and not given by a member of his actual family there is no proof really ,
there isnt anything on the web i can check for these records ,that way i can just email them and pay for what i want rather than them search ,i never found any more on NRH site , and being Stewart there is a lot to look through and a costly task when most arent who your looking for , thats why i am trying to gather as much before i use their site
and i do recall seeing my own grandfathers BC and nothing to suggest on it it was changed , so how he went from James Cameron to Stewart is anyone's guess,yet his marriage cert gives then name of agnes mcpherson as his mother so thats on his marriage cert ,but yes she was in that house the day the man for poor relief came and charles told him he was never married to the childrens Mother , its complcated , Eliz Cameron died the year before , just before the man from poor relief came and i take it Charles made out he knew little about her apart from having 2 brothers in America and her parents were both dead , and her cert was signed by a neighbour , but definatley Elizaberh Cameron is the Mother to Frances and James , only he signed Frances BC same add as he died 73 King Street , the maternal GM signed James's same add Mother Eliz Cameron , no mention of Charles on it :roll: confusing isnt it