Pollock

Items of general interest

Moderators: Global Moderators, Pandabean

frank pollock

Pollock

Post by frank pollock » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:34 am

Hi.

In tracing my family tree l have come to a point where l can find no further information:

Grandfather: Francis Milligan Pollock (Born 1882 in Inkerman Abbey Parish) - Married to Lizzie Hood in 1905 at Easterhause
Great Grandfather - James Pollock (Died 1919 in Monkland) - Married to Agnes Bremner in 1902 Shettleton
Great Grandfather - John Pollock married to Catherine Quigley - No details

As l am in Australia l rely on information that has been digitised. Maybe someone local can help?

AndrewP
Site Admin

Re: Pollock

Post by AndrewP » Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:06 am

Hi Frank,

[TS_welcome]

The online IGI shows a daughter Matilda born to a John Pollock and a Catherine Quigley (most probably your great grandparents), in 1851 in Lower Cumber, County Londonerry, Ireland. A contributed entry on the IGI for the same birth shows it to have taken place in Fawny Parish, County Londonderry.

On the 1902 marriage certificate, both James Pollock and Agnes Bremner are listed as being widowed. Unfortunately on James' 1919 death certificate, there is no mention of his first wife.

The Scottish records that you are seeking are all available on http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk on a pay per view basis.

All the best,

AndrewP

frank pollock

Post by frank pollock » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:02 am

Thanks Andrew.

I think the first wife was possibly Wilson but this may also have been Agnes first married name or family name.

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:25 pm

Hi Frank,

James's 1919 death certificate lists his widow as Agnes Bremner or Wilson. The implication of that is that Agnes's maiden name and previous married names were Wilson and Bremner (no implication of which was her maiden name, and which was her previously married name). That question is answered by looking at Agnes's 1932 death certificate.

All the best,

AndrewP

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:09 pm

... a little later ...

James Pollock can be found as a widower in the 1901 census, aged 43 in Baillieston (Old Monkland district) with four of his children. He is found in the 1891 census with his first wife, Elizabeth or Lizzie, and five of their children, also in Baillieston.

His first wife's death can be found in Glasgow (Dennistoun district - where the Royal Infirmary was) in 1900. From that, or their children's birth certificates, you get to their 1877 marriage (indexed as 1878, as it was not registered until after the New Year). The censuses show that he was born in Ireland, which goes along with the information from the IGI regarding his birth. Note the his bride's name is mis-indexed on the marriage index on ScotlandsPeople. You will find her indexed as Milligan rather than Mulligan.

The info given on the 1877 marriage certificate implies that your g-g-grandmother's first name was not Catherine, but Sarah. There is no sign of her death in Scotland. It may be that she never came over from Ireland.

All the best,

AndrewP

frank pollock

Post by frank pollock » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:31 pm

Thank you very much Andrew.

This gives me some clear paths to follow, particularly in the Irish side which I have not been able to follow.

Dannymograptus

Post by Dannymograptus » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:22 pm

Hi there,

I know this thread has been dormant a long while but hopefully the original poster may see this.

I too have been investigating my family tree and until coming across the marriage certificate for James Pollock and Elizabeth mulligan had no idea who James's parents were. I am seeing the same John Pollock and Sarah Quigley.

however, I cannot find any information regarding them. Its almost as if they don't exist!

Did the original poster ever get any further back than them?

Dan

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:53 am

Hello Dan and a warm [TS_welcome]

The original poster hasn't signed into the forum since shortly after his last post, but with luck he will get an email message informing him of your post. Otherwise, you could try a private message.

Best wishes,

Sarah