Mystery location

Items of general interest

Moderators: Global Moderators, Pandabean

Beckenham1

Mystery location

Post by Beckenham1 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:35 pm

I’m trying to identify the location in this pathe video

Some folk have speculated that its Methil Harbour on the Firth of Forth - during the blessing of the Boats?

I have doubts about that

See

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEY9kA3OYNE

In the video there is a celtic cross which is identical to one which can be found in a Northumbrian website. However that website has taken an unattributed image and it does not verify where it actually is...

All the best
Jim

AndrewP
Site Admin

Re: Mystery location

Post by AndrewP » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:23 pm

Hi Jim,

I cannot place a swing bridge of a (fairly) main road over any of the Fife harbours (I am happy to be proven wrong if anyone knows otherwise).

I thought I had the square church tower as St Monans. I checked that out on the web - similar shape of tower, but no clock on the St Monans church tower. A similar church tower in St Andrews showed up online too, but were not a match to the one in the video.

The boat registrations that I could pick out appeared to be ML (Methil) and BA (Ballantrae). Then searching Google images for these two harbours, and then Fife harbours and then Ayrshire harbours, I didn't see anything that jumped out as being the right place.

However, who knows if the video is from a number of different ports.

Food for thought,

AndrewP

Currie

Post by Currie » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:27 am

The first 55 seconds is of Whitby. http://www.britishpathe.com/video/whitb ... ing+bridge

“Several shots of fishing fleet in harbour of Whitby. Closer shot of fishing boats. Close up shot of a man sitting on edge of boat smoking pipe. Bishop of Whitby and several other priests arriving to bless Britain's fishing fleet. Long shot of fishing boats in harbour. Fishermen on boat looking towards quayside where blessing is taking place. Close up shot of boy looking from wheel house window. Long shot of Bishop of Whitby blessing fleet. General view of Whitby town. Fishermen in boat looking on in foreground. Close up shot of man looking on. Bishop of Whitby blessing fleet. Close up shot of stone cross. Pan along boats in harbour, town in background. Swing bridge opening. Close up shot of fishing boat pulling away from quay. Crowd looking on. Close up shot of boat turning towards swing bridge. Close up shot of two men in boat as it swings towards bridge. General view of fleet in harbour. Town of Whitby in background. “

Alan

Beckenham1

Post by Beckenham1 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:17 am

The stone cross shown is Caedmon's Cross in the graveyard of St. Mary's Church in Whitby; the film Whitby Prays For Fishermen 1948.