Andersons Of Logie Coldstone

Items of general interest

Moderators: Global Moderators, Pandabean

Chris43

Andersons Of Logie Coldstone

Post by Chris43 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:56 am

What A job I had to get this far !!
Seeking any information about my 3Xggfather John Anderson who married Margaret Gauld on June 3rd 1797 at Logie Coldstone.Margaret Gauld was daughter of George Gauld & Mary Moir.
Margaret Anderson died 1861 at Walkend Leochel Cushnie,where is she buried?
Does anyone know when and where John Anderson died,and who his parents were,and where he was buried?
John and Margaret's last child Duncan born 1820 at Logie Coldstone is my 2Xggfather.He was a carpenter by trade.He married Agnes Stevens Beckwith at Edinburgh 25th December 1848.
Two children born Edinburgh, John and Mary Ann ,my 1X great grandmother.They sailed form Liverpool 1854 bound for Victoria Australia arriving Feb.1855.
I would be very grateful for any help here.
Thank you Chris43

StewL

Re: Andersons Of Logie Coldstone

Post by StewL » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:32 am

llHello Chris43
Welome to Talking Scots, you will find the members on the site most helpful and when they can will lead you in the right direction
[cheers]
Stewie

Searching for: Anderson, Balks, Barton, Courtney, Davidson, Downie, Dunlop, Edward, Flucker, Galloway, Graham, Guthrie, Higgins, Laurie, Mathieson, McLean, McLuckie, Miln, Nielson, Payne, Phillips, Porterfield, Stewart, Watson

AnneM
Global Moderator

Post by AnneM » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:37 pm

Hello Chris,

I think this is your family in the Churchyard of Migvie

booklet: Kirkyards of Coull and Migvie (AA121)
burial ground: Migvie

stone: 92
George Gauld 13 Jan 1822
Betty Gauld 16 June 1866
William Gauld 19 Nov 1866
Donald Moir n.d.
Isobel Gauld n.d.
Mary Gauld n.d.
George Gauld n.d.
Jean Gauld n.d.
Mary Moir n.d.
George Gordon n.d.
John Gauld n.d.
Ann Gauld n.d.
Helen Gauld n.d.
Margaret Gauld n.d.
This is taken from the Aberdeen and NE of Scotland MI index.

Margaret is with her daughter Isabel or Isabella Anderson/ Morrison in Towie in 1851.
ANDERSON Margaret Mother W F 73 Stocking Knitter Aberdeenshire - Migvie
Isabella dies in 1866. In the census her birthplace is given as Ballater.

This can be found on Freecen. Can I just ask how you know that the Duncan Anderson who married in Edinburgh is the son of Margaret and John?
Anne
Researching M(a)cKenzie, McCammond, McLachlan, Kerr, Assur, Renton, Redpath, Ferguson, Shedden, Also Oswald, Le/assels/Lascelles, Bonning just for starters

AnneM
Global Moderator

Post by AnneM » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:44 pm

OK having seen Duncan in the census for Duncan and Agnes in 1851 I agree it is most likely him. John died before 1851. It's therefore quite difficult to work out when and where. Having said that I have not yet tried the 1841 census. Hope you were still hoping for a reply!
Anne
Researching M(a)cKenzie, McCammond, McLachlan, Kerr, Assur, Renton, Redpath, Ferguson, Shedden, Also Oswald, Le/assels/Lascelles, Bonning just for starters

AnneM
Global Moderator

Post by AnneM » Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:02 am

I think that it is likely that john's father was Charles Anderson. There are a couple of John's born to a Charles in Logie Coldstone at around the right time. However it is difficult to decide if either is your John.
Anne

Chris43

Post by Chris43 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:19 am

Hello Anne M.......My very grateful thanks for all your information.I will send another message with details of Aussie Andersons if you are interested.
Chris43

Chris43

Re: Andersons Of Logie Coldstone " take 4"

Post by Chris43 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:12 am

I have a small studio photograph in excellent condition taken by G.W.Wilson of Aberdeen.Never been correctly identified.We thought it was 2 xg/g father George Wright of Clackmannan/Alloa who arrived Aust Nov
1852.Strongly suspect now its 2 x gg father Duncan Anderson who departed Edinburgh Nov 1854.A very handsome guy.Anyone know what the Anderson men of Logie Coldstone looked like?He's wearing a heavy gold
fob watch on chain.His F.I.L. was George Beckwith (Silversmith)of Edinburgh(deceased 1844).Any suggestions gratefully received.

Also searching (Clackmannan) Wrights, Snaddens,Adamsons,Hunter,Ramage,Michie,Izatts(Culross&Clackmannan)Gauld,and many more.
Chris 43

Currie

Post by Currie » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:19 pm

Hello Chris,

Is there an address for G. W. Wilson on the photograph?

In October, 1855, G. W. Wilson, photographer to the Queen, began to advertise in the Aberdeen Journal that he had “removed his operating rooms from 19, Guestrow, to 22, Crown Street.

If no address, what is the format of the photograph? If a carte de visite, for example, it may be later than you think. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carte_de_visite

George Washington Wilson. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Washington_Wilson

Alan

Chris43

Post by Chris43 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:38 am

Hi Allan....Thanks for prompt reply.Photo must be carte de visite.On face of card.G.W.Wilson,outside frame.L.H. corner.Aberdeen same R.H.corner.
Back of card,crest with crown,reorder No 12,faint, in pencil.No address other,than G.W.Wilson,Photographer Aberdeen,below crest.
I obviously have a heap to learn!Biggest surprise of all photo of Fridtjof Nansen,my Norwegian Grandmother was a Postmistress at the time of his
expedition and we have a connection.Wow, always wondered what he looked like....Chris43