Marriage Certs on Scotlands People site

Items of general interest

Moderators: Global Moderators, Pandabean

sluka

Marriage Certs on Scotlands People site

Post by sluka » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:28 pm

Hello all,
My first post on this forum.
When searching the Scotland's People site for a possible marriage I can put in the brides' name, and dates between 1974 and 1990...that's it.
So the page comes back with about 25 with about half a dozen looking like possible answers.
As you can see it is a search for a possible living relative, but as they are £12 a piece I was wondering if I can narrow the search anyway, as I know the brides' parents names and occupations, her DOB and place of birth. There is no place to use this information to narrow the search that I can see. Any help anybody?

paddyscar
Site Admin

Re: Marriage Certs on Scotlands People site

Post by paddyscar » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:08 pm

A warm welcome to TalkingScot, Sluka [talkingscot]

When you do your initial search and the 25 records are found, you can look at a list of possibilities. This page gives you the place names of the marriage. You may be able to narrow it down there.

On the search page, there is an option in a blue box to the top and right of the search boxes. If you click on this, you will see an ADVANCED SEARCH GUIDE option. There are directions for formulating a query with some additional information that may help you narrow things down, as the marriage records include parent names and marriage date, couple's place of birth, age and profession.

Hope this might be helpful.

Frances
John Kelly (b 22 Sep 1897) eldest child of John Kelly & Christina Lipsett Kelly of Glasgow

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:29 am

Hi Sluka,

As the certificates you are considering belong to the "modern records", you cannot view them online. So, unless you are in a position to visit the ScotlandsPeople Centre in Edinburgh, or one of its outposts around Scotland, then you have to purchase an extract from the register at £12, or have someone visit the SP Centre on your behalf. £12 is a lot to spend on a speculative certificate, that there is no more than a chance of it even being the folks that you are seeking.

The modern records consist of:
  • births 100 years ago or newer
  • marriages 75 years ago or newer
  • deaths 50 years ago or newer
Someone visiting the SP Centre can view the modern records in the same manner that they can view the older records, and transcribe the information. However, they cannot print out or copy to a memory stick from a modern record. If they want a printed copy rather than just their own transcription, then they too would have to purchase the (expensive) extract from the records.

For the marriage search that you are asking about, further details such as the bride's date or place of birth; or parents' names or occupations, cannot be searched as this information is not indexed, either online or in the SP Centre.

All the best,

AndrewP

sluka

Post by sluka » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:10 pm

Thank you both very much for the information. Yes Francis looking at the 25 on the page and the place of marriage may help, but I really don't know where they married. I am just assuming it is in the lowlands belt anywhere from Edinburgh over to Glasgow. I just have the brides name etc. I've tried the advanced search with not much further success. You know, it didn't narrow it down much. Anyway .... Andrew I was wondering about doing the search at the Edinburgh office. I obviously would pay the £12, or whatever at the time, if I new it was the right certificate. But glad to hear you can search and look at the certs without paying for each...that's good news. I did employ a 'professional' genealogist but they couldn't find the marriage.. ah well. I think it would be better having a holiday in Edinburgh and combining a visit to the records office. By the way I live in Northern Ireland and have quite a good tree formed so far...its just the odd blank detail I have and I cant get back beyond around 1818 or so. Anyway I'll not waffle. Thanks for your advice.
regards
Victor