Outlander

Items of general interest

Moderators: Global Moderators, Pandabean

sheilajim

Outlander

Post by sheilajim » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:20 pm

Hi All,

Because I am interested in mostly all things Scottish, my husband and I rented the series Outlander. Has anyone else watched this series? We are only halfway through the second year and have learned many things about Scotland by watching this TV series. :D
We have learned that halfway through the 18th century, all the people of Scotland were Roman Catholics. There doesn't seem to have been any cities in Scotland at the time, at least they were never shown or so far even mentioned, although there was a mention of Inverness. Before 1745, the Highlands were infested with tons of English "Redcoats" that spent their time there raping or arresting any woman and that dared to venture outside or even stayed inside at home and giving the men terrible beatings. No wonder everybody in Scotland was eager to see Bonnie Prince Charlie on the throne!
I also noted that English women of the 1940's used the F word a lot. I will not even bother to mention the French.
Isn't TV wonderful! I have learned so much of Scottish history from this sterling series. :roll:
Sheila

AndrewP
Site Admin

Re: Outlander

Post by AndrewP » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:16 pm

Hi Sheilajim,

I would strongly question their interpretation of Scottish history. It looks like is based on almost as much historical fact as shown in Braveheart.

All the best,

AndrewP

WilmaM

Post by WilmaM » Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:34 am

and it never rains in Southern California! :lol:

As we do say in Scotland "Aye Right!"
Wilma

Bandirran16

Post by Bandirran16 » Sat May 13, 2017 1:00 am

Believe this was meant as "entertainment" for sure not a documentary.

sheilajim

Post by sheilajim » Sun May 14, 2017 3:35 am

HI Banderin,
It is actually a Fantasy, however, so many people believe what they see on television, fantasy or not. :?

Sheila
Sheila

Melc

Post by Melc » Tue May 30, 2017 3:19 am

Lol
I'm not sure if you are making that statement about the tv series with your tongue in your cheek or your serious !!
I have watched all the series because am descendant of the Frasers ( young Jamie being a distant rellie ) it's just full of wonderful insight isn't it .
If you are interested in all things Scottish might I suggest a better form of information on the lives of our ancestors might be a historical factual book rather than any thing other than true life documentaries you watch on tv
But by all means continue watching the series it is very good entertainment .... Please just don't think it's real šŸ˜

Wee Ann

Post by Wee Ann » Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:28 am

If you had read the books and read Diana Gabaldon's comments, she says at one point,"How can it be historically correct? Do I really expect my reader to believe that Claire saw the Loch Ness Monster?"
Roe/Rowe, Kane, Logue, Harkin, Commons, Gillan, Ireland.
McPherson, Richmond, Bowers, Laird, Russell, Cuthbertson, Scotland