Agnes Drummond/McAuslan

Items of general interest

Moderators: Global Moderators, Pandabean

nelmit

Agnes Drummond/McAuslan

Post by nelmit » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:09 pm

Tried all I can think of to find out more about this lady.

Known as Agnes Drummond in 1881. She is living with James Boyce (transcribed as Bryce at Ancestry) and their 2 children, William, born illegitimately in 1872 but both parents registered, and Agnes.

James Boyce 35
William Boyce 8
Agnes Boyce 6
Agnes Drummond 42 B Sub America
James B0yce 43
Helen Burton 22
Mary Docherty 30

James dies in 1887, married to Agnes Drummond but I can't find any marriage. Agnes is at 24 Wilson Street with William and Agnes in 1891. I found a great wee story about William in the Glasgow Herald. :) This time she calls herself Boyce and says she was born at Glasgow. :roll:

William registers her death in 1895 and says she is the widow of James Boyce. He then throws another spanner in the works and says Agnes's parents are Robert McAuslan and Agnes Drummond. :roll:

I know she was staying at 42 Old Wynd in 1872 but cant find her before that or anything to confirm her place of birth.

Regards,
Annette

AndrewP
Site Admin

Re: Agnes Drummond/McAuslan

Post by AndrewP » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:13 pm

Hi Annette,

They don't make it easy for you. On looking at the 1881 census image, James (head of household, age 35) is married, but there is no married woman in the household. Agnes Drummond (servant, age 42) is unmarried, and James (lodger, age 43) is unmarried. The children are listed as son and daughter of James (head of household). They are clearly enumerated as BRYCE on that page.
  1. If this is all as it seems, then who is the wife of James (head of household, age 35)?
  2. Is Agnes Drummond the mother of both children?
  3. Are the children attributed to the right James on the census page?
All questions and no answers. Like you, I see no sign of a marriage between James and Agnes (whichever James).

All the best,

AndrewP