help with pic

Items of general interest

Moderators: Global Moderators, Pandabean

derekfrom france

help with pic

Post by derekfrom france » Wed May 31, 2017 7:36 pm

Hi all have acquired an old family pic taken in the 1920s in Dunfermline Fife 1 question what type of dress is the woman wearing any help welcome
http://imgur.com/a/wXvKh

cheers Derek
interests
dumfries+gall menzies/geddes/herring/fleming
erskine/hairstones
ayrshire kerr /brotchie/campbell
fife eadie/johnman/kilgour/bogie/ellis

Currie

Re: help with pic

Post by Currie » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:41 am

Hello Derek,

That's a great photo.

There's Dad in his rolled up shirt sleeves. It looks like it's his day off, and he's just got up from reading his newspaper and smoking his pipe in his favorite chair.

And Mum is with him in the doorway, both look very contented with life, and are smiling at the photographer. She is wearing a dress which comes right down to her ankles, which was probably fairly typical for women of her age group at that time. I think that over the top of her clothes she is wearing an apron. It appears to have a little pocket at the front.

An apron would probably have been a normal part of the costume for such a scene of domestic bliss, where there was no need to dress up. Women didn't get days off, and she would have needed one to protect her clothes. Maybe it fitted like this one. https://www.flickr.com/photos/7914841@N08/7497538402

But it's a very fancy apron, not seemingly the usual home made variety out of a single piece of cloth. I haven't been able to google up an image of one quite like it.

Those are my thoughts, for what they are worth.

All the best,
Alan

A bit later.....

In the Scottish newspapers, starting about 1920, there are occasional reports of prizes being awarded at baby and flower shows etc for best fancy apron. Maybe she made it for something like that and is showing it off?

Alan

carolineasb

Post by carolineasb » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:14 am

If you hadn't said it was Fife, I would nearly have said that it looked a bit "a la Pearly Queen" but obviously not :(

Wee Ann

Post by Wee Ann » Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:21 am

I agree! Definitely an apron! The one you wear when you've finished your work and are going to sit down with your knitting? :)
Roe/Rowe, Kane, Logue, Harkin, Commons, Gillan, Ireland.
McPherson, Richmond, Bowers, Laird, Russell, Cuthbertson, Scotland

derekfrom france

Post by derekfrom france » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:33 pm

Thanks to all this must have been her posh apron not one I think she would done her housework in maybe one to cover her working clothes
quickly for a photo as her husband is not in his Sunday best

cheers Derek
interests
dumfries+gall menzies/geddes/herring/fleming
erskine/hairstones
ayrshire kerr /brotchie/campbell
fife eadie/johnman/kilgour/bogie/ellis

Merna001

Post by Merna001 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:33 am

The second picture.they look like very happy. =D>