Bridget O'Hara Ritchie

Items of general interest

Moderators: Global Moderators, Pandabean

Historybuff67

Bridget O'Hara Ritchie

Post by Historybuff67 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:22 pm

I am trying to find out anything I can about my great-great grandmother, Bridget O'Hara Ritchie, daughter of Michael O’Hara (farmer) born in Ireland and Margaret Reilly (born in Dundee). Wife of the late Luigi Ricci. They married on April 25, 1888 at St. Andrews, Edinburgh, Scotland.

Bridget O'Hara Ritchie was admitted to Bangour Village Hospital on November 8, 1906 and died there on August 28,1907 at age 41. Birth approx. 1866 in Dundee.

She suffered from a number of different health problems. Previously, she was admitted to the Lanark District Asylum. I was wondering if anyone could find out more about her for me. It was very hard time for a widowed woman with two small children at that time and that it may have just taken its toll on her health.

I would like to find out why she was admitted to the Lanark District Asylum if anyone could help me discover the reason(s).

Many thanks,
Brenda

eilthireach

Re: Bridget O'Hara Ritchie

Post by eilthireach » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:08 pm

Bridget O'Hara was born 18 October 1865 in Dundee. You can look at the birth certificate on ScotlandsPeople (https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk), a pay-per-view site. This will also give you the date and place of her parents' marriage (which was 23 June 1865, and you can view their marriage certificate also and get the parents of both Michael and Margaret). She married Luigi Ricci in the Registration District of Edinburgh, Subdistrict St Andrew (no 's'). St Andrews (with an 's'), as you have in your posting, is another town altogether. Why she was admitted to Lanark District Asylum would, I presume, depend on where she was living at the time, though only a look at the admissions register would help in determining that. The records of Bangour Village Hospital (a psychiatric hospital) are held by Lothian Health Services Archive (http://www.lhsa.lib.ed.ac.uk/collection ... tients.htm). A discussion about access to the records of Lanark District Asylum appeared on this forum some years ago (viewtopic.php?f=36&t=11984).