Massacre at Monzievaird Church 1490

Items of general interest

Moderators: Global Moderators, Pandabean

Beckenham1

Massacre at Monzievaird Church 1490

Post by Beckenham1 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:01 pm

I'm trying to locate the site of the Massacre at Monzievaird. Apparently it took place at the Kirk of Monzievaird, Perthshire. I think the building may have been in Hosh. Am I correct? Does this building or it's foundations still exist? I think this church may have been closed, and absorbed into the Parish Church. When? Does anyone know about this and the names/locations of these two churches in particular?

Just to make it more complicated. There is a reference to ann incident In 1511 where eight score of the Murrays, with their wives and children, were massacred by a body of Drummonds and Campbells, the former having taken refuge in the heather-thatched church of Monzievaird, while the latter, who were at feud with them, set fire to the church, and prevented their escape from the flames. The mausoleum of the Murrays of Ochtertyre now stands on the site of the church, and is a Gothic building of 1809.

So whats what I wonder? Getting confused here...

Many thanks in advance
Jim

WilmaM

Re: Massacre at Monzievaird Church 1490

Post by WilmaM » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:12 pm

There seems to be some dubiety about the dates, some say one, some say another and others quote both!
Only 21 years apart , which in the light of 500 years ago is nothing.

Old maps only mention the mausoleum as being on the site of a church.
Here's one :
http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=14 ... yers=6&b=1

So I would gather that the 2 events are one and the same.
Wilma

AndrewP
Site Admin

Re: Massacre at Monzievaird Church 1490

Post by AndrewP » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:03 pm

The First Statistical Account of Scotland (1791 to 1799) for the United Parishes of Monivaird and Strowan refers to the above events as having taken place "about the beginning of the last century". So, as much as that was written about 220 years ago, the date of the "skirmish" was vague by then.

All the best,

AndrewP