Family History Goals for 2018

Items of general interest

Moderators: Global Moderators, Pandabean

chiddicks

Family History Goals for 2018

Post by chiddicks » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:52 pm

Have you set yourself targets or goals for your family history research for 2018?

If not, now is the ideal time to review your work, review what you have already achieved and set yourself some new targets and goals for the next twelve months.

I always like the idea of goals or targets, it keeps you focused and gives you something to aim for. Having said that, there is nothing I like better than deviating off on a new venture, so although it’s good to set goals, don’t be too rigid with what you set out to achieve, allow some “wriggle room” for something that grabs your attention.

Last year when I set myself some goals for 2017, I never for one minute envisaged that I would be here writing a blog, that was never on the agenda for 2017, but here we are now, so a flexible approach can always reap you benefits.

The key thing to remember is don’t over commit yourself, there is also a life outside of family history, well I assume there is?? So don’t set yourself unrealistic targets and likewise don’t beat yourself up too much, if you don’t achieve everything on your list.

So my list for 2018 looks something like this:

I have recently completed a DNA test with Ancestry, the next step for me and on my “to do” list is, to upload my data in as many places as possible and to hopefully make contact with some “new cousins”.

Second on my list is to make a visit to a military cemetery of one of my ancestors overseas, I have two trips in mind, Gallipoli or Ypres.

Another must for me this year is to make a third trip back to Dublin, but this time with the added incentive of meeting my Dublin Daniels family for the very first time, something that I am really excited about doing.

I also hope to continue with one of my new passions, blog writing, both for Family Tree Magazine and of course my own personal blog.

The last item on my list is to knock a couple of brick walls down, which is the ambition of all budding genealogists!

What's your Genealogy goals for 2018? https://chiddicksfamilytree.wordpress.c ... -for-2018/ via @chiddickstree

LynnC

Re: Family History Goals for 2018

Post by LynnC » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:38 pm

That's a good one.

1. Tidy up my tree, particularly standardise place names. I'm keen to play around with mapping software more seriously (have dabbleed with Google maps & QGIS)

2. Set aside some real time to get back into the archives. I've got a list of 4 to visit (Mitchell Library, Paisley, E Dunbartonshire, NRS) - since I didn't get much of that done last year.

3. Also investigate timeline tools - I really want to make more of my research, and make it more user-friendly to the family as a whole.
Researching:
Gilhagie/Glasgow, Leckie/Stirlingshire, McFarlane/Dunbartonshire, Copland & Mcwhae/Kirkcudbrightshire, Algeo/Renfrewshire

Wee Ann

Post by Wee Ann » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:50 am

G'day Lynnc,
Just browsing through for the first time in ages and saw your post. I have been helping my Grand Daughter in law with her family tree, and one of the names she has is 'McWhae". I hadn't come across the name before, but I notice that it is one of 'your' names.
The name I have is John Douglas McWhae Shaw. (Shaw being Beth's maiden name.) I have tried going back a bit to find out where the McWhae came from, but I'm not having a lot of luck. The person I named was born and died in Australia, but there seems to be a mention somewhere of Peebles and Selkirk. I was just wondering if you could be of some help, maybe make a suggestion of some kind?
Looking forward to hearing from you
Ann
Roe/Rowe, Kane, Logue, Harkin, Commons, Gillan, Ireland.
McPherson, Richmond, Bowers, Laird, Russell, Cuthbertson, Scotland

LynnC

Post by LynnC » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:39 pm

Hi Ann

Unfortunately my McWhae is one of my dead ends. However the name seems to be most common in Dumfriesshire, Kircudbrightshire and thereabouts (where mine are from). It's an odd name with many variants including McQua, so it might be worth trying some of those.
Lynn
Researching:
Gilhagie/Glasgow, Leckie/Stirlingshire, McFarlane/Dunbartonshire, Copland & Mcwhae/Kirkcudbrightshire, Algeo/Renfrewshire

Wee Ann

Post by Wee Ann » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:23 pm

Thanks for that Lynn! I have seen a few weird spellings, but that goes with the job in this lark. I will keep looking though!
Roe/Rowe, Kane, Logue, Harkin, Commons, Gillan, Ireland.
McPherson, Richmond, Bowers, Laird, Russell, Cuthbertson, Scotland