Clan Confussion - MacKenzie Clan

Items of general interest

Moderators: Global Moderators, Pandabean

Girouxtr

Clan Confussion - MacKenzie Clan

Post by Girouxtr » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:30 am

Hello,
I am a beginner to understanding Scottish Clans and am looking for some guidance.
In digging through some of my great grandfather's papers I cam across a certificate that was presented to my great grandmother at the time of my great grandfather's death. I can't seem to figure out how to paste an image here so I will just retype what it said...

CLAN MaCKenzie No. 29
Order of Scottish Clans
New York, NY September 25, 1918

"At our regular meeting held on the above date the following resolution was unanimously adopted.
RESOLVED that the heartfelt sympathy of Clan MacKenzie No. 29 O.S.C. be extended to Mrs. Robert D. Mitchell and family in the sad bereavement they have been called upon to bear in the sad loss of their beloved husband and father, and we pray that God may comfort them in their sorrow, and as a token of respect the said resolution be spread on the minutes of the clan."

And it was signed by the Secretary and the Chief and stamped with the McKenzie Clan image.

My question is... this seems like the reporting of some type of meeting minutes but it is presented in the form of a certificate as if it were presented to my grandmother. Does anyone know what this is? and if it is something that they would do for someone who was NOT a member of the MacKenzie Clan?

My great grandfather (the one who died) was surnamed Mitchell and his parents were named Mitchell and his mother MACDONALD. His wife was not Scottish. There have been conflicting "Rumors" within the family that they were part of either the MACDONALD or INNIS Clan. This is the first time we have seen anything that has to do with the MacKenzie clan.
Anyone have a suggestion?
Thanks in advance.

Currie

Re: Clan Confussion - MacKenzie Clan

Post by Currie » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:25 am

The Order of Scottish Clans is described in this Wiki. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_Scottish_Clans

The Order of Scottish Clans was a fraternal and benevolent society The dual purpose of the Order was to provide life and disability insurance to Scottish immigrants and their descendants, and also to preserve the culture and traditions of Scotland among Americans of Scottish ancestry.
Membership was open to Scotsmen, their sons or male descendents, ages 18 to 50, who were of good moral character and possessed a reputable means of support.

It doesn't seem that the names of the membership necessarily had any connection to the name of the clan.

Hope that's useful,
Alan

Girouxtr

Re: Clan Confussion - MacKenzie Clan

Post by Girouxtr » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:08 pm

Thank you very.much. that is very helpful..