Kerr/Scott family Tailors from Glasgow

Items of general interest

Moderators: Global Moderators, Pandabean

Lexie

Kerr/Scott family Tailors from Glasgow

Post by Lexie » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:10 am

Hi
I'm new to this board. I'll be in Glasgow on the trail of the ancestors.
James Kerr n.d. married Marion Scott 1836-1899
1861census Res: 88 Centre St Larnakshire Occ: tailor
Children: David 5
James 3
Marion 1
1871 census res: 86 West St Occ: tailor /farmer
Children: + John 9
Jessie 6
Margaret 2
1881 census res: 3 Melville St Occ: Clothier
Children: + Robert 8
George 6
Stuart 4
1891 Census
James has passed and son, Jams has assumed the role of Head of the family
Household: James 53
Marion 70
Jessie 27
Margaret 21
George 17
Stuart 15
The others - David married Rosina continued as a Tailor 1891 - 101 Aitkenhead Rd Glasgow. 1901 - 4 Gordon Terrace. William (david's son went to Australia but returned following the death of his father.
John Scott Kerr stowed away to Australia where he became prominent in the development of football. He also became a bookmaker at Randwick racecourse. In economic down turns he reverted to tailoring, a trade which he taught to his son.
Stuart went to America where was unsuccessful in setting up in the tailoring business. He went to New Zealand and his wife and children followed. Unfortunately, the marriage did not survive and his wife went to Australia where her family were assisted by her in laws.
I'm trying to trace James Kerr, son of David who I think remained in Scotland in Glasgow.
Has anyone any ideas on how to spend the little time I have in Glasgow searching records.
Thanks
Lexie

nelmit

Re: Kerr/Scott family Tailors from Glasgow

Post by nelmit » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:58 am

Hello Lexie,

Was he born around 1912?

There is a death registered, on Scotland's People, at Ayr in 1980 of a James Aitken Kerr aged 68.

If you think that could be him then you can view the extract at The Mitchell Library Genealogy Centre. From there you can see if he married and hopefully find any children he may have had by forward searching.

Best to book at a place by phoning 0141 287 7655 or by email genealogy@glasgow.gov.uk

Regards,
Annette

Lexie

Re: Kerr/Scott family Tailors from Glasgow

Post by Lexie » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:50 am

Thank you so much for the info. I'll be in Glasgow for 4 days to start look into the Kerr family. Arriving on the 24th from Dublin.
Again many thanks for the assist
Lexie