School playground ball games

Items of general interest

Moderators: Global Moderators, Pandabean

MrsP

School playground ball games

Post by MrsP » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:03 am

Hello i am a “newbie”, so hope this question is suitable.
We played a ball game against the wall in 1930s!
Plainsy. Clapsy. Birly, backsy, high cedilla, low cedilla, and rest eludes me. Dumdedumdedum!
Can anyone help ?
I went to Alexandra parade school, Dennistoun 1932-1939, thanh you
Catherine :D

WilmaM

Re: School playground ball games

Post by WilmaM » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:00 am

As did I in the 1970's in Ibrox!

I don't remember the cedilla bit but the rest is familiar. Under knee was another move, double birlie could only be achieved at the school shelter where we stood further back , the more usual close wall was too close!

Some times we played with just one ball but more usually with two, bouncing one as we caught the other.
Give me a couple of bouncy balls and a close wall and no doubt it'll all come flooding back.

We must have driven my mother crazy, we were on the ground floor flat so it was our wall that was best. Though the hour across the close was empty for a few years so we used that, but its door was in the middle of the wall so we didn't have the full length.
Better played in painted closes, the 'wally' tiled closes weren't as good!

Skipping rhyme was " high, low, slow, medium, dolly, rocky, hippy, Skippy, pepper, wishy" either the sang of the rope or the action taken my the skipper in the middle.

Oh dear you've made me all nostalgic =D>
Wilma

Currie

Post by Currie » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:26 pm

MrsP

Post by MrsP » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:04 pm

Thank you for your reply, I forgot. My password and have finally had time to log in !!
The cedilla, Bit is my vague memory but under the knee - yes! The playground shelter was used but not the close wall in my memory . I must think about that.two balls were often used tested you coordination 😀 double long ropes where you all followed in and out was another challenge😀 I think Mary Queenof Scots had her head chopped for that! Oh and salt pepper mustard vinegar was or speed up rhyme, wonder if girls do that now .i left Glasgow in 1954 so am out of touch. I now live in Worcester and don’t see ropes being used is street 😒 hope that means sad!
My 4 year old great granddaughters and some for her last birthday or Christmas and was learning then
I see my battery is low—— not mine - the iPad 😀😀
Tatathenoo
Catherine