Ancestry dna

Items of general interest

Moderators: Global Moderators, Pandabean

hg

Ancestry dna

Post by hg » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:13 pm

Hi, Anyone on here had their dna tested with Ancestry.com? They have made some changes to the results using some algorithm. I have to say, I am not impressed, and not sure what to make of it. Mine has changed by increasing my Scottish / Irish by 13% to 74%, I have lost 11% Europe west, 1 Caucasus, 1% Iberian Peninsula but gained 3% Norwegian. At least before, Europe west bordered on Italy where I know for sure some of my ancestors originate from. Helen
researching Glacken, in Edinburgh and Glasgow and Ireland, McCartney and McAnally in Glasgow, Belli in Italy and Edinburgh, O'farrel in Tyrone and edinburgh, Mchendrie, Dawson and Findlay from Banff then Edinburgh, Main in Edinburgh. Mcdonald.

garibaldired

Re: Ancestry dna

Post by garibaldired » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:43 pm

Hello Helen,

Until you posted I hadn't realised it had changed!
I've had a look and mine looks more like I'd expect now - but it's marginal.

Have you found the DNA test useful? I can't say I have as so few respond to my enquiries.

Best wishes,
Meg

hg

Post by hg » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:16 pm

Hi Meg,

The responses have been a bit hit and miss. Some replied some did not. I am meeting a 4th cousinn from the USA in Edinburgh when she visits the UK which is pretty cool. Helen
researching Glacken, in Edinburgh and Glasgow and Ireland, McCartney and McAnally in Glasgow, Belli in Italy and Edinburgh, O'farrel in Tyrone and edinburgh, Mchendrie, Dawson and Findlay from Banff then Edinburgh, Main in Edinburgh. Mcdonald.

Moray_Lass

Post by Moray_Lass » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:58 pm

I will have to go in and check my Dad's again if there has been changes.

I was pleasantly surprised when we did it - found a 2xCousin in the system and solved the mystery of my Grandfather's father. I've been thinking of going back next sale and doing my Maternal Uncles and my own
Maggie

Parental -
Moray, Bellie/Boharm:- Symon, Thomson, Davidson, Gordon, Laing, Dick, Thom, Geddes.
Banffshire, Rothiemay:- Lobban, Symon
Maternal -
'Finechty Flett's'
Banffshire:- Flett, Taylor, Wood, Lorimer, Falconer

garibaldired

Post by garibaldired » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:36 pm

hg wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:16 pm
Hi Meg,

The responses have been a bit hit and miss. Some replied some did not. I am meeting a 4th cousinn from the USA in Edinburgh when she visits the UK which is pretty cool. Helen
Oh how exciting, Helen.
The only people who have replied to me we already knew each other. :lol:

Meg

speleobat2

Post by speleobat2 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:42 pm

Mostly their changes just confused me. How could I suddenly be 64% Finnish when I for sure only had one Finnish parent (Mom). I lost my Iberians altogether along with half of my Scottish and Irish relies, but picked up a few more in Western Europe.

Before all this I have made contact with a couple of distant cousins which has been fun, but like the rest of you most of my emails have gone unanswered.

I do find the Archaic DNA results from GEDmatch fascinating though. Who would have thought that I would be related to two women in Denisova, Russia, a child in Clovis, Montana, and a male somewhere in Brazil, all thousands of years ago! I'm taking these results with a grain of salt. Brazil is a long walk from the rumored land bridge!

Carol :D
Looking for: Clerihew, Longmuir/Longmore, Chalmers, Milne, Barclay in Newhills,
Munro, Cadenhead, Raitt, Ririe/Reary

Moray_Lass

Post by Moray_Lass » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:20 am

I went in to check the updates - certainly narrowed down my Dad's areas but parts of Scotland are now flagging up as UK which is a bit strange, and implies some connection to Shetland (hence Norway) about 1725. 50 Uk and 48 Scotland/Ireland when I have only found one ancester born in England in 1776 and her line. So I suspect more work needed.

I did turn up 2 new 3rd Cousins which weren't there last time I went in there, emailed then so I will see if they reply.
Maggie

Parental -
Moray, Bellie/Boharm:- Symon, Thomson, Davidson, Gordon, Laing, Dick, Thom, Geddes.
Banffshire, Rothiemay:- Lobban, Symon
Maternal -
'Finechty Flett's'
Banffshire:- Flett, Taylor, Wood, Lorimer, Falconer

trish1

Post by trish1 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:20 am

Has anyone found any Irish family through dna? I have found & contacted 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th cousins in US, Canada, Australia, NZ, England & Scotland without using dna. The only branch I haven't been able to trace outside Australia have been my Irish families - whose descendants came here in 1850s and 1860s. Would dna help with this?

thanks

Trish

jgmills

Post by jgmills » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:42 pm

Hi Trish,

It depends, if your Irish families are into genealogy and have had the DNA test done themselves.

But I can give hope in as much as last week I was contacted, through a DNA Match, by someone who was a direct decendant from my Great Great Grandparents in Northern Ireland. He didn't know of my branch of the family and I didn't know about his branch, but now I have found 5 siblings to my Great Grandfather, who all came over to Scotland. And he has also found another family.

So it can work.

John

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:50 pm

Hi Trish,
I have several matches who live in Ireland and the families appear to have been there for a number of generations at least - I just can't figure out how we connect! But that is most likely because my closest probable Irish connection is a GGG grandmother with an unknown surname :(

Best wishes,
Sarah