Newspaper look up

Items of general interest

Moderators: Global Moderators, Pandabean

crayspond

Newspaper look up

Post by crayspond » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:26 pm

Hi,
Can anyone who has a subscription kindly do a newspaper look up for me please.
I have a gguncle called Dugald McFarlane who was born in Belfast in 1876 at 24 Grosvenor St (His father's family moved there from Partick Glasgow circa 1865).
His father James married Jane (nee Dickson) in Belfast in 1871.I am following up what happened to the children of the couple which is taking me back and forward to Glasgow. They returned to Glasgow in 1882 . I found a marriage cert for Dugald to Jane Baxter in 1895 he is 22 occ Iron Turner. No death cert in Scotland that matches.
Back on the Irish records i then found a death cert for a Dugald McFarlane age 22 at Newtownards Bangor Co Down. 18/7/1898 Iron Turner - married - accidently drowned. That's all you get on the irish death cert.
If anyone can look at irish or scottish papers on or round about this date i would be grateful.<br/>

<br/>
</t>

crayspond

Re: Newspaper look up

Post by crayspond » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:49 pm

This might be it but as you can see it's unreadable - i can't even log on for 3 free tries.

THE DROWNING ACCIDENT AT BANGOR

... noon, an inque-st ?? held tn ilangor on th.e body of the young moali. ?? Dugald Sirarhue. a native of DunI r'I n ut!x1 was drowned on the prev--ous evening wh.'e me.i-h ig at the gentlemen's bathing statizni, CrC!A Sergeant Karr represented the poiire. ...
Published: Wednesday 20 July 1898
Newspaper: Belfast News-Letter
County: Antrim, Northern Ireland
Type: Article | Words: 750 | Page: 6 | Tags: News

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:43 pm

I have it Ailsa - now all I have to do is figure out how to post it.

Regards,
Annette

crayspond

Post by crayspond » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:00 am

Thanks Annette I've private messages you.

Currie

Post by Currie » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:41 pm

Here be the text.

The Belfast News-Letter, Tuesday, July 19, 1898
MELANCHOLY DROWNING ACCIDENT AT BANGOR.

Yesterday forenoon a very sad drowning case occurred at Bangor. A young Scotchman, named Dugald M'Farlane, an ironturner by trade, residing in Clydebank, Dumbarton, and who, with other members of his family, was spending his holidays in Bangor, went in to bathe at the Clifton gentlemen's bathing station, and after jumping from the springboard, came up struggling. His brother, who was in the water at the time, and who is said to be an expert swimmer, went to the aid of the downing man, but was unable to rescue him. The deceased sank, and the water not being deep at the place, the body was seen lying at the bottom. When it was taken out life was found to be extinct. The body was enveloped in a sheet, and conveyed on a cart by Constables Howard and Hammell to a yard attached to one of the local hotels, where it lies awaiting the holding of an inquest, which is expected to take place to-day. The deceased was about 22 years of age, and it is said that his wife, mother, brother, and father-in-law are at present in Bangor for their holidays. The sad death of the young man has evoked a great deal of sympathy for his friends.

The Belfast News-Letter, Wednesday, July 20, 1898
THE DROWNING ACCIDENT AT BANGOR.

Yesterday, at noon, an inquest was held at Bangor, on the body of the young man named Dugald M'Farlane, a native of Dumbarton, who was drowned on the previous evening while bathing at the gentlemen's bathing station, Clifton. Sergeant Karr represented the police, and Mr. Geo.M'Cracken appeared for the Town Commissioners.

Jas. M'Farlane, brother of the deceased, deposed that he lived at Clydebank, Glasgow. Deceased was twenty-two years of age, and was married. On Monday morning witness and his brother went for a bathe at Clifton Bathing-house. They went into the water practically together. His brother had a lifebelt on him, which he got from the keeper of the bathing-house. After remaining in the water for a short time he came out and took off the lifebelt. He then went in without it, diving off the springboard. Witness was standing at the other end of the board. The deceased was a good swimmer, and always had been a better one than witness. After diving the deceased came up. He did not seem to be weak, but was not swimming well. Witness did not think anything was wrong, but he asked him if he would throw in the lifebelt. Deceased nodded assent, and witness accordingly threw it. He did not catch it, as it was not near him, and witness then jumped in immediately to assist him. He caught hold of him by the neck. Witness let go, as he saw that he was only sinking the both of them. His head was under water when he let him go, and when this happened he rose. Witness went a second time to help him. To the Coroner—What caused you to let him go the second time?—They threw a rope to us, and it did not come within ten yards of us. I swam away to catch it. A spool of thread would have been as good to us. The Coroner—Why? Witness—There should have been something on the end of it to enable it to be thrown. Just as I went out to him the third time and reached him he sank. Witness further said that he did not think the man in charge of the house was fit to throw the buoy himself. Witness did not know what he was fit for. Both he and his brothers were sober. They never tasted drink. The Coroner—Is the man capable of doing any thing?—So far as I saw he was not capable of doing anything. The reason I say that is because he seems to be paralysed , or something of that sort.

A man named Collingwood Clarke gave evidence as to having taken the body out of the water. Alex. Bell, the keeper of the bathing house, was next examined. He saw the deceased in the water, and advised him not to take off the belt. The brother advised him to take it off. Sergeant Karr—What means have you of saving anyone there in case of their getting weak?—Lifebelts and a lifeline are the only means we have. The father of the deceased, who was in court, said he would like to ask a question. He would like to know from the keeper why he did not put out the boat hook, which was quite long enough to have reached the deceased. Witness said he did not think of it. The father said he had nothing else to ask, but he would suggest to those in authority that they should have a competent swimmer at the house, and one who would exert himself with his limbs. Mr. M'Cracken briefly addressed the jury, and, after a short delay, the jury returned a verdict of accidental drowning. They added a rider that in future only competent men should be put in charge of bathing stations. The inquiry then terminated.

Hope that helps,
Alan

crayspond

Post by crayspond » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:14 pm

Thanks Alan and Annette,
I had a feeling it was going to be him - even though they returned to Scotland they still had family in Ireland for there to be a connection. Who knows what happened that day. all the family on holiday as well. I had originally thought it was a ferry or boat that had capsized.
I don't know if you remember Alan but i think you helped me with the newspaper clipping of Dugald McFarlane who took his own life in 1856 by drowning. This was the boy Dugald's grandfather and James's father.
My gt grandmother was Ellen the sister of Dugald who would have been about 17 at this time. James McFarlane father of Dugald and at the inquest died later on that year in Dec 1898 of malignant disease in the glands of the neck.

Thanks again,

Ailsa

Currie

Post by Currie » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:13 pm

Hello Ailsa,

I checked the forum and that was me, and it was over ten years ago. How time flies!

In checking that I stumbled across something I stumbled across some months later in response to a post by Kathy. The drowning and inquest was also reported in the Glasgow Herald, and using the search facility in British Library Newspapers brought up no trace of that. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=13331&hilit=dugald#p105355

The Glasgow Herald - Jul 20, 1898
https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=6 ... %2C1696238

All the best,
Alan

crayspond

Post by crayspond » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:26 pm

I know! it's frightening how time flies - especially doing family history research. I didn't see the post but not to worry i've got the info now.
Thanks again.