Decyphering a death reg

Items of general interest

Moderators: Global Moderators, Pandabean

billymac
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:12 pm
Location: NSW, Australia

Decyphering a death reg

Post by billymac » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:13 am

I have a death registration I purchased from Scotland's People many years ago and have never been able to see just what a name was.
I am trying to work out what the deceased's mother's maiden name may be. Looks like Gye/Gyer but I cannot find any trace of that name. The notations on the image (below the name) are as I received it from S.P.
Any thoughts super sleuths on what it might be?
Regards,
Bill


https://i.imgur.com/KWmOsIg.jpg
Last edited by billymac on Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

WilmaM
Posts: 1648
Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2004 10:46 am
Location: Falkirk area

Re: Decyphering a death reg

Post by WilmaM » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:24 am

We'd love to help Billy - but the image isn't showing up :?

Moray_Lass
Posts: 187
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:18 pm
Location: Moray

Re: Decyphering a death reg

Post by Moray_Lass » Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:12 pm

If you are right in your reading - could it be Greer? You don't give a date or location but spelling was fluid early on and that could sound like Gyer in some places. Just guessing.
Maggie

Parental -
Moray, Bellie/Boharm:- Symon, Thomson, Davidson, Gordon, Laing, Dick, Thom, Geddes.
Banffshire, Rothiemay:- Lobban, Symon
Maternal -
'Finechty Flett's'
Banffshire:- Flett, Taylor, Wood, Lorimer, Falconer

billymac
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:12 pm
Location: NSW, Australia

Re: Decyphering a death reg

Post by billymac » Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:00 pm

WilmaM wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:24 am
We'd love to help Billy - but the image isn't showing up :?
I wonder why that is? I can see the image in my post.
Death of Jane Smith (March 5th) 1873 reg no. 282/05 054 District of Lochee, Burgh of Dundee

billymac
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:12 pm
Location: NSW, Australia

Re: Decyphering a death reg

Post by billymac » Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:03 pm

Moray_Lass wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:12 pm
If you are right in your reading - could it be Greer? You don't give a date or location but spelling was fluid early on and that could sound like Gyer in some places. Just guessing.
No, not Greer. First letter is definitely a "G" but second letter really seems to be a "y" and there seems to be only 3, maybe 4 letters in all. When I purchased the image some years ago (from S.P.) below the name was the notation Guye? / Gay?

Moray_Lass
Posts: 187
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:18 pm
Location: Moray

Re: Decyphering a death reg

Post by Moray_Lass » Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:00 pm

Could you give us some more details - I'm trying to look for births with a mother's surname starting G and father Smith, but I'm having to guess at Jane's age and that she was born in Fife. Even the Father's full name and the mother's first - if you can read them - would help.
Maggie

Parental -
Moray, Bellie/Boharm:- Symon, Thomson, Davidson, Gordon, Laing, Dick, Thom, Geddes.
Banffshire, Rothiemay:- Lobban, Symon
Maternal -
'Finechty Flett's'
Banffshire:- Flett, Taylor, Wood, Lorimer, Falconer

nelmit
Posts: 3962
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:49 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: Decyphering a death reg

Post by nelmit » Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:22 pm

billymac wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:13 am
I have a death registration I purchased from Scotland's People many years ago and have never been able to see just what a name was.
I am trying to work out what the deceased's mother's maiden name may be. Looks like Gye/Gyer but I cannot find any trace of that name. The notations on the image (below the name) are as I received it from S.P.
Any thoughts super sleuths on what it might be?
Regards,
Bill


Image
This is how your post looks to me.

Regards,
Annette

billymac
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:12 pm
Location: NSW, Australia

Re: Decyphering a death reg

Post by billymac » Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:35 pm

nelmit wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:22 pm
billymac wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:13 am
I have a death registration I purchased from Scotland's People many years ago and have never been able to see just what a name was.
I am trying to work out what the deceased's mother's maiden name may be. Looks like Gye/Gyer but I cannot find any trace of that name. The notations on the image (below the name) are as I received it from S.P.
Any thoughts super sleuths on what it might be?
Regards,
Bill


https://ibb.co/F8SR4Kp
This is how your post looks to me.

Regards,
Annette
Don\t know what I did wrong but I can see the image in your post Annette.
I've tried a different method that a link to the image. Hope you can see it now.

billymac
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:12 pm
Location: NSW, Australia

Re: Decyphering a death reg

Post by billymac » Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:46 pm

WilmaM wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:24 am
We'd love to help Billy - but the image isn't showing up :?
Hope this is better

https://i.imgur.com/KWmOsIg.jpg

AndrewP
Site Admin
Posts: 6021
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2004 1:36 am
Location: Edinburgh
Contact:

Re: Decyphering a death reg

Post by AndrewP » Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:15 am

No - still not showing any image. Just a message saying that the image does not exist, or has been deleted.

AndrewP

Post Reply