BEDS

Stories memories and people

Moderators: Global Moderators, AnneM

emanday
Global Moderator

Post by emanday » Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:07 pm

Andrew,

Thank you so much for that link.

As a Whitehill School pupil, Coia's was a regular haunt for us lot. My Dad used to take us in there after our regular visits to the Art Gallery. We had to get off the bus, have our treat, and then get on another bus home.

Wet, windy or sunshine, we never missed out on our ice cream at Coia's after our educational toddle around the exhibits!

Bliss :D
[b]Mary[/b]
A cat leaves pawprints on your heart
McDonald or MacDonald (some couldn't make up their mind!), Bonner, Crichton, McKillop, Campbell, Cameron, Gitrig (+other spellings), Clark, Sloan, Stewart, McCutcheon, Ireland (the surname)

joette
Global Moderator

Post by joette » Sat Sep 15, 2007 4:04 pm

Oh an ice drink with ginger beer is there an emoticon with drooling on it??
Love it.Second runner-up is a root-beer float with a tuna sandwich oh I'm drooling again.
Researching:SCOTT,Taylor,Young,VEITCH LINLEY,MIDLOTHIAN
WADDELL,ROSS,TORRANCE,GOVAN/DALMUIR/Clackmanannshire
CARR/LEITCH-Scotland,Ireland(County Donegal)
LINLEY/VEITCH-SASK.Canada
ALSO BROWN,MCKIMMIE,MCDOWALL,FRASER.
Greer/Grier,Jenkins/Jankins

wini

BEDS

Post by wini » Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:00 pm

Mary

You and I used to go to the same school, although I realise you must have gone there after me.
I was there from 1950-1955 and as I know you are a computer expert you didn't learn that at Whitehill in those years.
Apart from Hockey and Netball I can't remember playing any games, but I do remember if you were late for school the gate was locked and you had to stand outside for 15 minutes.
My family had the expectation that only the boys needed to be educated as girls would just get married, so I got to go to Whitehill and my brother went to Alan Glens.
Discrimination was alive and well.
Never the less I was quite happy there, not the best student but not the worse...wini
Munro, McPhee, Gunn, Reid, McCreadie, Jackson, Cree, McFarland,Gillies,Gebbie,McCallum,Dawson
Glasgow, Durness,Kilmuir via Uig, Logie Easter
Old Monkland

emanday
Global Moderator

Post by emanday » Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:24 pm

Hi Wini,

I went in 1963 and, so they told me, it was the first time that all three children from the same family had qualified to go there. Both my brother and sister had been Whitehill pupils before me and I was always being told that they were excellent students! No pressure then :shock:

My brother would have gone there in around 1956 and my sister at around 1958.

I wonder if you had the same headmistress?

I was rotten at netball - too wee! However, on the hockey field was the only time me and my PT teacher got on! Being so wee I could run circles round the opposition :lol:

Truth be told - I hated school, except for hockey and history.
[b]Mary[/b]
McDonald or MacDonald (some couldn't make up their mind!), Bonner, Crichton, McKillop, Campbell, Cameron, Gitrig (+other spellings), Clark, Sloan, Stewart, McCutcheon, Ireland (the surname)

wini

BEDS

Post by wini » Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:32 am

I would have left Whitehill by the time your brother & sister arrived.
My B.I. L's would have been there.
Probably best known for theIR Chess ability., although the youngest one finished his educatiOn in Oz.
The older Alistair Pope would have been school Chess champion.
The only teachers I really remember were Miss Mowat, sewing, which I was hopeless at and she threw bobbins of thread at us, me particularly.
Mr. Wilson, history which I enjoyed but he didn't appreciate some of my exams. I wrote once The Battle of ----was fought, had a memory blank, and he wrote "Fancy that now"
An Art teacher who was obsessed with there being life on Mars
Mr. Craig, Latin, who didn't wear socks, and quite FEW MORE WHO HaD PROBABLY LEFT BY THE TIME YOU GOT THERE.
Never mind I survived it all and by and large I don't think it did me too much harm.
Despite the sub standard buildings. The Main Building, the New building, the annexe the prefabs etc

wini
Munro, McPhee, Gunn, Reid, McCreadie, Jackson, Cree, McFarland,Gillies,Gebbie,McCallum,Dawson
Old Monkland

emanday
Global Moderator

Post by emanday » Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:30 am

Ah Yes! Miss Mowat!

She was still throwing bobbins at folk when I took her classes! Have to say she and I didn't interact much. I could already knit quite well and my sewing was really pretty neat by the time I got there, thanks to my mother and grandmother, so she pretty much left me to it. Sadly she died during my first year. I can still remember Miss Hutchieson coming in to class that morning to tell us.
[b]Mary[/b]

wini

BEDS

Post by wini » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:15 am

Don't supppose teachers are allowed to throw things at students now a days..

Mind you I bet they feel like it sometimes.

wini
Old Monkland

wini

BEDS

Post by wini » Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:07 am

Carol,

I now have a large amount of information for you on James and Ellen Munro.
If you send me your address by PM I will be delighted to send it to you.

There was a trust set up for their 4 orphaned children and I have been given a further address for the inquest.

Please let me know if you want this forwarded to you

Kindest regards wini
Old Monkland

speleobat2

Post by speleobat2 » Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:29 pm

Thanks Anne,

I sent the address by PM. I can't wait to see what you found. I only knew about two children so the other two are news to me.

Thanks for taking the time to hunt up these things for me!
:D
Carol
Looking for: Clerihew, Longmuir/Longmore, Chalmers, Milne, Barclay in Newhills,
Munro, Cadenhead, Raitt, Ririe/Reary