Shortbread for Christmas

Stories memories and people

Moderators: Global Moderators, AnneM

joette
Global Moderator

Post by joette » Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:58 pm

Re John Barrowman I saw him being interviewed on TV & he said that sometimes he & his siblings would ask for something different for Ne'erday & oft times his Mother would promise something else but come Ne'erday there would be Steak Pie.His Mother told him Christmas dinner could be anything but Ne'erday was Steak Pie.

I love tongue-my Mum would cook a big one & along with Lentil Soup,a big ham & Steak Pie which I always hated would ensure that any visitor could be served quickly & easilly.Felt like we were peeling a mountain of veg & potatoes between Christmas Eve & Ne'erday.

I love the American idea of Jello & Salad too which is now incorporated into our Scottish Menu -oh & Key Lime Pie.
Researching:SCOTT,Taylor,Young,VEITCH LINLEY,MIDLOTHIAN
WADDELL,ROSS,TORRANCE,GOVAN/DALMUIR/Clackmanannshire
CARR/LEITCH-Scotland,Ireland(County Donegal)
LINLEY/VEITCH-SASK.Canada
ALSO BROWN,MCKIMMIE,MCDOWALL,FRASER.
Greer/Grier,Jenkins/Jankins

Tracey
Global Moderator

Post by Tracey » Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:38 pm

Russell wrote:Hi Tracey

If you ever tried a 'fly cemetery' i.e. sugary currants between two layers of flaky pastry, then you'll like Black Bun.
A little bit of spice and cinnamon makes it just great but don't try to eat a big chunk unless you have a really sweet tooth.

Russell
The Ne'erday gourmet.
Hio Russell
The closest i have got to that description is a cinnamon swirl danish ! "fly cemetery" has been mentioned on here before somewhere. When i first saw black bun in the shop it seemed to weigh the same as a house brick and look just as appetising but now i have seen one sliced up (in a photo on their web site) and with your description i think i will have to jump tube at Liverpool Street station tomorrow !

Scotland - Donaldson / Moggach / Shaw / Geddes / Sim / Gray / Mackie / Richards / Joel / Coull / Mckimmie / Panton / McGregor
Ireland and Scotland - Casey / McDade / Phillips / McCandle / Dinely / Comaskey + various spellings