Laldy

Stories memories and people

Moderators: Global Moderators, AnneM

bobbyinmelbourne

Laldy

Post by bobbyinmelbourne » Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:31 am

Listening to a bad singer squeezing in as many notes as possible, I was reminded of my dad who would have commented that 'she was ge'in' it laldy'.Why? Who or what was 'Laldy'? anybody know?
family names are McEwan,Parlan Stirlingshire;Elliot,Hyslop, Beattie Dumfries/Borders;Ferguson, Grierson Lanarkshire;O'neill, Madill Antrim

SarahND
Site Admin

Re: Laldy

Post by SarahND » Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:01 am

Hi Bobby,
Googling came up with many like this:

http://www.firstfoot.com/dictionary/l.html
Laldy
 To give it Laldy means to do anything with great gusto or to get laid in to someone big style whether physically or verbally.Ye shooda seen big Effie it the karaoke,she wiz geein it laldy aw night.

and like this:

http://literalbarrage.org/blog/archives ... ay-laldie/
laldie
(lall·dy) Dialect, chiefly Scot. ~n.
1. a thrashing; a sound beating, punishment (as in “Jist wait till ah get ma hauns oan ye, ya wee bugger. Ah’ll gie ye laldie“).
 2. gie it – to undertake an action with vigour and vitality (as in “Gaun yersel’, big yin. Gie it laldie“).

To try to get at the root I look in the Concise Scots Dictionary, which has this entry:

Laldie &c n a thrashing, punishment, chf get ~, gie someone ~ ; also gie it ~ do something vigorously or exuberantly
It goes on to say that it may have come from a child's word, or be connected to the Old English word lael a whip, a weal, bruise.

Try googling laldy or laldie and you'll have lots of interesting reading!

All the best,
Sarah

Muriel

Post by Muriel » Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:30 pm

I cherish the memory of being at Cinderella in the old Alhambra Theatre in Glasgow with Stanley Baxter & Ronnie Corbet playing the Ugly Sisters. At one point SB entered Cinders kitchen & spotted her invitation to the ball on the mantlepiece. He minced across, picked it up by one corner & asked "Who gave YOU this" A wee boy, perhaps about 4, in the front row of the dress circle was so caught up in the action & worried that Cinders was going to get into trouble that, with tears rolling down his cheeks, he called out "I did". The audience held it's breath to see what would happen - SB looked up & (with gestures) said "Well just you get doon here & I'll gie ye laldy". Roars of laughter & the panto continued! As good an example of the meaning of laldy as you're likely to get.

Muriel
Searching Ross - Lochwinnoch & Eaglesham, Renfrewshire; Glasgow; Glover - Paisley; Macadam - Glasgow.

bobbyinmelbourne

Post by bobbyinmelbourne » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:30 am

I have fond memories of those Pantos; every Christmas someone -an uncle?- organised a busload ,even one year I went with my face all wrapped up because of mumps. Stanley Baxter and Ricky Thingumy - it's a long time ago!-and the Principal Boy in fishnet stockings. No soapy stars.Most of it would have gone over my head but I'm sure the double entendres were laid on thick.
Bobby in mild Melbourne
family names are McEwan,Parlan Stirlingshire;Elliot,Hyslop, Beattie Dumfries/Borders;Ferguson, Grierson Lanarkshire;O'neill, Madill Antrim

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:07 am

bobbyinmelbourne wrote:I have fond memories of those Pantos; every Christmas someone -an uncle?- organised a busload ,even one year I went with my face all wrapped up because of mumps. Stanley Baxter and Ricky Thingumy - it's a long time ago!-and the Principal Boy in fishnet stockings. No soapy stars.Most of it would have gone over my head but I'm sure the double entendres were laid on thick.
Bobby in mild Melbourne
It was Rikki Fulton, Bobby. He appeared in many a panto as a double act with Jack Milroy - They were know as Francie and Josie. Loved them!

PaulaD

Post by PaulaD » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:31 pm

Oh I remember going to see Rikki Fulton in panto at the Kings theatre in Edinburgh.
Happy days :D
Searching for Barclay Aberdeenshire, Stewart Edinburgh, Brown Edinburgh & Uphall, Finlayson E Lothian, Fairley & Renton E & W Lothian for starters!

joette
Global Moderator

Post by joette » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:07 pm

New Year treat-Ricki Fulton's Rev I.M.Jolly's yearly round-up
.http://www.youtube.com/watch?hl=en-GB&v=0Cpb8rqYFd8.
Enjoy.He does the opposite of giving it laldy.
Researching:SCOTT,Taylor,Young,VEITCH LINLEY,MIDLOTHIAN
WADDELL,ROSS,TORRANCE,GOVAN/DALMUIR/Clackmanannshire
CARR/LEITCH-Scotland,Ireland(County Donegal)
LINLEY/VEITCH-SASK.Canada
ALSO BROWN,MCKIMMIE,MCDOWALL,FRASER.
Greer/Grier,Jenkins/Jankins