Childhood songs and rhymes

Stories memories and people

Moderators: Global Moderators, AnneM

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Sat May 06, 2006 8:51 am

Thrall wrote:
DavidWW wrote:
At the risk of thread drift, who would like to identify the very famous Italian opera (male) aria where the subject appears to be "elephants' ears" ?? !!!............

David
I´m afraid that I give up; I don´t know about all you other opera buffs, but I feel we´ve had time enough. Have talked to tenor, discussed it with a repetiteur, and had someone look at the libretto without any joy. Can´t sleep at night. Give us a break, David for pity´s sake...... :cry: :cry: :cry:

A most despondent "Thrall"

Make it easier next time, please.... :wink:
It's a male aria from La Traviata (?), according to my wife, one line of which, ever since she was a wee kid, she is convinced ends in "elephant's ears". To my ear it depends on the actual singer as to just how clear it is!

Daivd
Last edited by DavidWW on Tue May 09, 2006 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AnneM
Global Moderator

Post by AnneM » Sat May 06, 2006 6:11 pm

Marginally better than

La Donna e mobile
My wife had twins today
She gave them both away
La Donna e mobile

Scuze the spelling if it's wrong. My Italian is virtually non existant. I can just aout say I am Scottish.

Anne
Anne
Researching M(a)cKenzie, McCammond, McLachlan, Kerr, Assur, Renton, Redpath, Ferguson, Shedden, Also Oswald, Le/assels/Lascelles, Bonning just for starters

AnneM
Global Moderator

Post by AnneM » Tue May 09, 2006 5:45 pm

BTW The aria is from Rigoletto and is the one paraphrased above. Heard it on the radio while driving this pm.

Anne
Anne
Researching M(a)cKenzie, McCammond, McLachlan, Kerr, Assur, Renton, Redpath, Ferguson, Shedden, Also Oswald, Le/assels/Lascelles, Bonning just for starters

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Tue May 09, 2006 6:59 pm

AnneM wrote:BTW The aria is from Rigoletto and is the one paraphrased above. Heard it on the radio while driving this pm.

Anne
Brilliant.

Ah kent it wis Eeytalian, ken :!:

C'moan, La Traviata wisnae far off....... :wink:

David

PS Did you really hear "elephants' ears" :?:
dww

AnneM
Global Moderator

Post by AnneM » Wed May 10, 2006 9:03 pm

Not exactly but something that sounded gie like it!

Anne
Anne

Thrall

Post by Thrall » Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:28 pm

Just arrived at the crucial year 1851 in the wonderfully puckish (In)complete and Utter History of Classical Music by Stephen Fry.

There I learned that the orchestra rehearsed the opera Rigoletto for some time but always had to jump over a blank page, and when asked about this, Verdi, conductor and composer said "Oh... we´ll... fill that bit in later".
At the dress rehearsal on the day of the opening night, so to speak, he stumped up the missing aria.

The reason?

Well, it seems that Verdi was so convinced he was on to a winning, hit tune, that he wanted to make sure it stayed under wraps until the opening night, for fear of some unscrupulous composer stealing it!

Another piece of fairly useless but perhaps interesting information....

:wink:

Thrall

AnneM
Global Moderator

Post by AnneM » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:44 pm

I think I heard that bit too. You have to admit the man was right about the aria. It has well and truly stood the test of time in whatever version. I guess he knew whether or not he had unscrupulous rivals.

One of the more magical experiences I had was seeing and hearing Rigoletto in the ampitheatre in Verona......even if I did get soaked in a thundery shower. I've never seen string players run so fast with their instruments.

On a more prosaic note, a while ago I was standing the in checkout queue in Sainsbury's and a man in front of me with a small child in his trolley was singing the tune endlessly to the rather repetitive lyrics "Jose Mourinho, Jose Mourinho". That's probably not how you spell it but a close attempt. I'm sure Verdi did not envisage his piece de resistance being pinched as a football chant.

Anne
Anne

mistral

Post by mistral » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:12 pm

Really enjoyed reading all the old songs, skipping rhymes etc

My recollection of the three wee monkeys rhyme goes as follows -

"Not last night but the night before
Three wee monkeys came to the door
One got whisky, one got rum
The other got a skelpin' on his bum!"

A little song I really wish somebody else could also remember, one that my Dundee Gran used to sing to us, is this -

"If a bogeyman should come at night
When you're tucked in bed without a light
Eyes like saucers give you such a fright
How would you like to be a baby girl?"

I'm pretty sure there were other verses but just cannot remember them!!!
Researching Mentiply, Graham, Johnston, Gettings in Fife and Lanarkshire. Ross, McLeish, Callan, Whyte in Dundee, Cromarty and Ayrshire.

mistral

Post by mistral » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:29 pm

Oh dear, now I've just remembered something else - I could only have been about 5 when I first heard this skipping rhyme in the playground - and had no idea who either of the two gentlemen were! Only in later years did I realise what we had been singing about!

"Vote. vote ,vote for Mr Churchill
In comes Atlee at the door
Churchill is the one and we shall have some fun
And we don't want Atlee any more
Close the door!"
Researching Mentiply, Graham, Johnston, Gettings in Fife and Lanarkshire. Ross, McLeish, Callan, Whyte in Dundee, Cromarty and Ayrshire.

mistral

Post by mistral » Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:04 pm

Sorry, will really stop after this!!!

Don't know if this would be considered a bit un-PC nowadays but my husband swears his Granny used to recite this to him and his brother and sister in the 1950's!

"Paddy on the railway picking up stones
Along came an Injun and broke Paddy's bones
Well said Paddy, that's no fair
Well said the Injun, you shouldnae been there!"

Finally, here are my recollections of a couple of previously mentioned rhymes -

"One two three a leary
I saw Mrs Peery
sittin' on her bumbaleery
Eatin' chocolate soldiers"

"Skinny Malinky Longlegs wi' umberelly feet
Went to the pictures and couldnae find a seat
When the picture started
Skinny Malinky Longlegs started to greet"

The End!! I think........