Moderators: Global Moderators, AnneM

maggie

Post by maggie » Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:20 pm

Hello Pinkshoes
PM received and it all sounds good to me xmas:smile:

pinkshoes

Post by pinkshoes » Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:32 am

Great stuff Maggie :lol:

Calling the Yorkies again - I have pm'd the newcomers with details of our plans, but they are still sitting in my outbox You'll either receive them several times, or not at all. :?

Would save a fair bit of messing for me if I could have everyone's email address please. I have more info to pass on and the pm system is hard work for multiple recipients :wink:

Best wishes
Pinkshoes

Davie

Post by Davie » Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:18 pm

Greetin's tae the Yorkists.
Is ther a date fawr the Do?
Ah huv tae go doon early next year tae pick up some books.
Or is it jist a Girls thing?
Huvin been in touch wey a few o' youse lot, ah use the term "girls" weyoot a wee bit sniggering.
Well, mibbie jist a wee bit.
If the meet is in Betty's tearoom, in Feburary, Ah'll spring fawr high tea.
Ye cannie beat that. Wee three tiered cake stauns!
Davie

pinkshoes

Post by pinkshoes » Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:37 pm

Hello Davie

The meeting is on Sunday 21 January - I'll pm details of time and place, but I'm afraid it's no' Betty's. Great idea, but have ye' seen it at the weekend :?: We widnae hear oorsels. Never mind, ye can spring fur the crisps'n'nuts'n'at in the pub. :lol:

Hope you can join us - naw it's no' a' lassies, an' less o' the sneeterin [-X

Best wishes
Pinkshoes

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:22 pm

Davie wrote:......snipped ..........Huvin been in touch wey a few o' youse lot, ah use the term "girls" weyoot a wee bit sniggering.
Well, mibbie jist a wee bit.
....snipped .......Davie
Defintutely nae sniggering allowed on TS :!:

The reason for my contribution to the thread was my immediate reaction on finishing a book just after midday today, having started it around 10 pm last night, was that Davie would most certainly enjoy it, as, I'm sure, would many other TS members.

I bought the book on the basis of the (Glasgow) Herald [to their eternal shame, the publishers decided some years ago to delete the "Glasgow" bit :shock: ] Saturday supplement recommendations a couple of weekends ago from sundry weel kent folk anent their best books from 2006, - Ah'm quite a trusting soul, ken, as two of these recommendations so far have turned out to be complete and utter rubbish, - Ah'd hiv used a weel kent Glaswegian 5 letter word starting with "s" and finishing with "e" except that the term involved might no go doon weel here ........ :roll:

The book that diverted me from other required tasks this morning was Christopher Brookmyre's "A Tale Etched in Blood and Hard Black Pencil", - not at all an easy book to get into in terms of the juxtapositon of the tales from primary and secondary schools of the characters involved, but also a much later discovery of an earlier murder ........ but sufficiently intriguing to lock you in to the whole story to the extent, in my case, of spending approaching 4 hours finishing the book this morning, despite several pressing tasks.

David

Davie

Post by Davie » Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:35 pm

The reason for my contribution to the thread was my immediate reaction on finishing a book just after midday today, having started it around 10 pm last night, was that Davie would most certainly enjoy it, as, I'm sure, would many other TS members.
Aye David,
We aw knew you should be chairing Mastermind.
"Ah've started so i'll finish"
like yourself, I have a bit of difficulty reading Brookmyre.
Have three on shelf and only finished one.
When rellies or freens visit and look at my tomes and see a certain author, they assume I must like them.
So at pressie time I end up wey anither wan.
Oanywan interested in Terry Pratchett?
Davie

JackyHSF

Aberdeen "Regional Meet Up"

Post by JackyHSF » Sun Dec 24, 2006 10:36 am

Hi

Just to say that I'm not too far away from Aberdeen and if there's a meet up being planned then I'd love to be there.

Regards

Jacky
Researching:
AIR Coldstream/Edinburgh
BROWN Whitburn
CLUNAS/GORDON Daviot, Petty
CRAWFORD/MUNRO Cumlodden
DYER Cambusnethan
GRAY Slamannan
KERR Lochranza
MACKAY Harris, Lewis
SPENCE - Newburgh, Perth, Govan, Edinburgh

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Sun Dec 24, 2006 11:30 am

Davie wrote:...snipped.........like yourself, I have a bit of difficulty reading Brookmyre. ......snipped.........
Davie
Hmmmmm.... I was half-thinking of doing an Amazon second-hand search for his other books, but methinks I'll put that on ice for the moment, as it sounds awfy like they're all as difficult to get into as "A Tale Etched in Blood and Hard Black Pencil" ........

BTW, anyone who's not familiar with Amazon, or the fact that it's been possible for some while to buy used as well as new books on the site should have a look.

Since Amazon started offering second hand books as well as new, I've bought quite a few "As New" books, in excellent condition, at substantially lower prices than the cover price.

It's also possible to sell your books, so that, unless it's a book that you want to retain in your library, you can can re-sell it for not much less than the price at which you bought it !! [woohoo] - a bit like a library, in a way .........

David

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:57 pm

Any of you New England people up for a regional get-together this spring? I have a tentative plan afoot to do some research at the NEHGS in Boston, probably in early April. :D
Regards,
Sarah

JustJean

Post by JustJean » Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:28 pm

oooohhhhhhh \:D/ ......yes yes! Name the time and place :lol: (Marilyn are you in???????)

Jean