Regional Meet Ups

Stories memories and people

Moderators: Global Moderators, AnneM

pinkshoes

Post by pinkshoes » Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:15 pm

To the Yorkies :

Getting better all the time! Maisie your idea sounds good but I don't know of anywhere that holds more than IGI for Scotland. But if folks have English research to do too, that's a different story.

Borthwick Institute in York is apparently the biggest repository outside London, but exactly what it holds I'm not sure - anybody know? From website it looks to me to be York/shire related (not surprisingly) but they may have more. There is also an LDS Library in York, but limited opening times. Shopping in York is good too with excellent park and ride facilities (suggest not weekend unles you like crowds), but I'm open to any suggestions.

One idea I had that might satisfy the genealogy need to some extent, in the absence of records to trawl - how about we each brought our worst brickwall, throw it open for discussion and ideas. We won't be able to solve them without having access to records (though a library with internet could help there) but we might get new ideas about where we should be looking. I know I have one in particular that I haven't got a clue where to try next. Just an idea ?? :D

Best wishes
Pinkshoes

setait

Post by setait » Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:44 pm

Hi Pinkshoes

I'm within shouting distance of York too (about an hour by train). Can I join in :)

Sheena

pinkshoes

Post by pinkshoes » Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:00 pm

Hi Sheena - brilliant! We may have to hire the Merchant Adventurers at this rate!

Looks like time to run with this :lol: I'm not electing myself to the position of Organiser in Chief, but unless anyone has a burning desire (or the keys to the pub) I'm happy to take on board the collective ideas and sort something out.

Are we looking at sometime early New Year? And is York ok? Ideas by pm will be collated and circulated to all interested Yorkies.

This is exciting :lol:

Best wishes
Pinkshoes

maggie

Post by maggie » Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:30 pm

Hi Pinkshoes
your right it is exciting :)
PM sent :lol:
kind regards
maggie

setait

Post by setait » Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:21 pm

Hi Pinkshoes

You've got another PM :)

Sheena

ASGROOMBRIDGE

Post by ASGROOMBRIDGE » Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:17 pm

Hi,

Anyone out there near Frome in Somerset.

Audrey
Looking for McGowan Anderson Fleming Sommerville Waddell in Lanarkshire. Semple Murray Baird Thompson Hutchinson in Annan Dumfriesshire Baird and Hutchinson also in Kirkinner Wigtonshire and Semple family of Annan Glasgow and Edinburgh

joette
Global Moderator

Post by joette » Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:14 pm

Anybody in the London Area? I keep putting off a trip to Kew.
If not then i hope to make the next Glasgow meet-up.
Nice to meet Jack & David yesterday at the Mitchell.Funny but David was as I pictured him minus the dark hair-though he says it used to be.
Jack was busy beavering away on someones behalf at the Poor Relief Apps.We had a lovely chat.
I was recording my interview with Radio Scotland.Fame at last.
Researching:SCOTT,Taylor,Young,VEITCH LINLEY,MIDLOTHIAN
WADDELL,ROSS,TORRANCE,GOVAN/DALMUIR/Clackmanannshire
CARR/LEITCH-Scotland,Ireland(County Donegal)
LINLEY/VEITCH-SASK.Canada
ALSO BROWN,MCKIMMIE,MCDOWALL,FRASER.
Greer/Grier,Jenkins/Jankins

garibaldired

Post by garibaldired » Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:53 pm

Audrey,

I'm in Dorset so not a million miles from Frome :)

Meg

ASGROOMBRIDGE

Post by ASGROOMBRIDGE » Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:53 pm

Hi Meg,

We must get together for a gossip.

Audrey
Looking for McGowan Anderson Fleming Sommerville Waddell in Lanarkshire. Semple Murray Baird Thompson Hutchinson in Annan Dumfriesshire Baird and Hutchinson also in Kirkinner Wigtonshire and Semple family of Annan Glasgow and Edinburgh

garibaldired

Post by garibaldired » Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:38 pm

Audrey,

No one else in our area then? :cry:
So we're just a twosome?

Meg
Main family lines are Harpers from Midlothian, Fife & Kinross-shire, and Dobies/Dobbies from Midlothian. Also Strathearn, Stobie, Layden and Downie.