Stovies ***birthday bumped post***

Stories memories and people

Moderators: Global Moderators, AnneM

HeatherH
Global Moderator

Post by HeatherH » Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:12 pm

I grew up with Stovies and my bairns love it still .Potatoes , Turnip ,Carrot , and onion with corned beef .Lovely with a fresh homemade loaf and butter .
I'm off to get a turnip .Guess you all know whats for dinner . :D
HeatherH
Looking for ...but not limited to Haldane ,Keir ,McLauchlan ,Walker ,Torrance , Reid ,Clark ,Johnstone ,Holmes ,Laurie ,Lawrie ,Strachan , McIlwee ,Welsh ,Queate ,Stewert ,McNight ,Steele ,Cockburn ,Young ....whew! That's more than enough for now.

rye470

Post by rye470 » Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:58 pm

It was years since I'd had stovies but my trip home in August remedied that. I bought myself a scot's cookbook because I HAD to find a recipe for square slice (Lorne Sausage). Having found the recipe and had a decent breakfast, I had to see if they would stand up (or together at least) to simmering for stovies.

I am now a very happy bunny. Stovies are now regularly on the menu.

Christine. :D :D :D

P.S. Tried 'Millionaire Shortbread' on Sunday. HEAVEN.
Fyfe,Binnie,Stewart,McEwan -Fife, Perthshire, Clackmannanshire.
McFarlane,Reid - Dunbartonshire.
Alexander,Dawson,Hamill,Kennedy,McCulloch - Donegal,Down, Armagh to Renfrewshire,Lanarkshire.

ASGROOMBRIDGE

re stovies

Post by ASGROOMBRIDGE » Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:12 pm

Oh my whay happy day's I can smell them now my Nanny used to make them for me coming home from school. I can still taste them. Her other treat was to make home made chips and put them in a poke with a shake pf salt. Lovely

Guess what I'm off to make, stovies here I come.

Thank you for reminding me.
Audrey :D :D :D
Looking for McGowan Anderson Fleming Sommerville Waddell in Lanarkshire. Semple Murray Baird Thompson Hutchinson in Annan Dumfriesshire Baird and Hutchinson also in Kirkinner Wigtonshire and Semple family of Annan Glasgow and Edinburgh

fmackay

Post by fmackay » Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:31 pm

Audrey
the homemade chips in a bag were one of our Saturday night "treats" aswell" Yum!

We used to have stovies made only from tatties and onions which was lovely. Wasn't until I moved down to Aberdeen that I tasted stovies made with meat/corned beef.
Looking for
Mackay Morrison Manson - Sutherland
Bain Sinclair Gunn Henderson Levack Dunnet Lyall More Corner Miller-Caithness
Wylie Brown Louttit Banks Hourston Spence Drever Bews Irvine Whitelaw/Whitelay Linklater - Orkney

ASGROOMBRIDGE

re Stovies

Post by ASGROOMBRIDGE » Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:51 pm

Must admit ours only had potatoe and onion in them but when I made them tonight I added grated carrot, supper was bliss. :D

Audrey
Looking for McGowan Anderson Fleming Sommerville Waddell in Lanarkshire. Semple Murray Baird Thompson Hutchinson in Annan Dumfriesshire Baird and Hutchinson also in Kirkinner Wigtonshire and Semple family of Annan Glasgow and Edinburgh

StewL

Post by StewL » Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:05 am

Stovies

Oh yes I remember them well, if I recall we had them usually on the Thursday before faither was paid :) We didnt have much money but we were always fed well if not like kings, and of course the school lunch did its job too.

I remember them with potato, carrot, onion and turnips, and a vague recollection that maybe a mutton flap was in it too :?:

As a sickly wee laddie, and when I couldnt go to school. I would watch my mother make them but I was too wee to cut the vegies up with the sharp knife :D . My sister liked them but hated eating what she thought was potato only to find out it was turnip :lol: She wasnt the best lassie at eating her vegetables :lol: Over here in oz we would get them on what mother called the blin week when pay was fortnightly :lol:
Stewie

Searching for: Anderson, Balks, Barton, Courtney, Davidson, Downie, Dunlop, Edward, Flucker, Galloway, Graham, Guthrie, Higgins, Laurie, Mathieson, McLean, McLuckie, Miln, Nielson, Payne, Phillips, Porterfield, Stewart, Watson

dstew

Post by dstew » Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:36 am

I was visiting my uncle & aunts house sometime back with my father and the all started about how thier uncle Bill used to make this recipe call stovies.
I had a look through a scottish recipe book my mother has got and decided to make it .The children had asked what i was making and said something your great Great unlce used to make your grandfather, what a wonderful dish to make for a sunday night dinner
It is quite nice with a few herbs and half a lime squeezed on top with a touch of mild chille
Darren

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:42 am

Hi Darren
It is quite nice with a few herbs and half a lime squeezed on top with a touch of mild chille
Interesting "fusion cookery" variation there!! :lol:

Best wishes
Lesley

Margaret

memories

Post by Margaret » Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:17 am

Hello All
After reading through the pages about stovies i thought why I enjoy TS so much, all the memories that people talk about are just wonderful and even if you hadnt eaten stovies I bet there are folks out there that will now try them :)
Living in New Zealand as a child of scottish parents we enjoyed stovies to
Cheers
Margaret
researching:: Morton, Miller, Finlay, McDonald, Bullock, Forrester. Glasgow and Kilmarnock areas

LesleyB

Re: Stovies

Post by LesleyB » Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:04 pm

It's definitely "stovies time of year" in Scotland just now!

[birthday]
Talking Scot is 10 years old!
To celebrate we are “bumping” selected older posts - posts we enjoyed , posts with knotty puzzles, posts which made us laugh, posts which brought a tear to our eye and posts where the problem solving skills of Talking Scot members won the day. Why not join us in our celebrations by “birthday bumping” some of your favourite posts? Just post a reply to the end of any of your favourite posts and remember to mention in your reply it is a “Birthday Bumped” post!
=D> \:D/ [cheers] \:D/ =D>

“Birthday bumps” or “dumps” are a tradition in Scotland, especially in school playgrounds, where the birthday boy or girl was pursued in order to be given “dumps” or “bumps” - usually a series of bumps on the behind with a knee, corresponding to the number of years the birthday person had now reached (and sometimes an extra one for luck!). For more info about Scottish birthday dumps or bumps, see
http://www.scotslanguage.com/word/Apr-2 ... day_custom_