Stories memories and people

Moderators: Global Moderators, AnneM

emanday
Global Moderator

Post by emanday » Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:53 pm

Paralitick and moroklus are two that come to mind :lol:
[b]Mary[/b]
A cat leaves pawprints on your heart
McDonald or MacDonald (some couldn't make up their mind!), Bonner, Crichton, McKillop, Campbell, Cameron, Gitrig (+other spellings), Clark, Sloan, Stewart, McCutcheon, Ireland (the surname)

pinkshoes

Post by pinkshoes » Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:39 pm

Steamin' and bloo'ered ( :? don't know how to write a glottal stop, but it was essential) were two in common use in Stirlingshire circa 1970.

No personal experience of either of them :lol:

Pinkshoes

G.Love

Post by G.Love » Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:11 pm

My mother also said that something was "all to the one side like Gourock" if something was squinty.

She also would say that something was "as black as the Earl of Hell's waistcoat", if it was really dirty.

If you were a bit clumsy or dropped something she would say you were "coorie fisted".

I always heard the saying as "Arrocher's Midden" (which is a place at the head of Loch Long, but why it's midden would be archetypal I have no idea). However, I now thing she had got it wrong as everyone else says 'Annaker's'

Physical descriptions of people included: "he's got a heid and shoulders on him like a caster oil bottle" and "he's got a heid like a pea on the top of a mountain". If the weather was good and a women went out without her coat on, my mum would say: "I saw Mrs So-and-so, she was out in her figure'.
seeking McColl from Donegal and Greenock, McKay from Antrim and Greenock;
Whiteford from Ballycastle and Greenock; Tucker from Port Glasgow, and McGinty.

joette
Global Moderator

Post by joette » Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:12 pm

It must have been the "three" that got my memory going.A fav of my Dad's"I see so & so's shot the craw"
When I asked what that meant he said"They've bolted the course"
I had visions off all these people bolting around a racecourse!
Sad but true.
Researching:SCOTT,Taylor,Young,VEITCH LINLEY,MIDLOTHIAN
WADDELL,ROSS,TORRANCE,GOVAN/DALMUIR/Clackmanannshire
CARR/LEITCH-Scotland,Ireland(County Donegal)
LINLEY/VEITCH-SASK.Canada
ALSO BROWN,MCKIMMIE,MCDOWALL,FRASER.
Greer/Grier,Jenkins/Jankins

CathieL

Post by CathieL » Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:27 pm

My mother used that expression too "black as the Earl of Hell's waistcoat. she also said of anyone too big for their boots Lady Muck from Glabber Castle. My father would say of anyone annoying, he's a Cadbury's Fruit and Nut cake.
Cathie
Researching- Stewart. Connolly,McQuade, Coyle,Kelly, Farrell, McKenna, Ward. Kenny.

mistral

Post by mistral » Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:28 pm

We used to say "Lady Muck from STOURY castle" about anyone whose housekeeping standards were not quite up to scratch but who nevertheless had a very good opinion of themselves!!

It's fascinating to see the different variations.........just remembered my Gran Ross from Dundee again describing some old buddie's hat as "like a pea on the Law Hill" Although how that reconciles itself with my mother's strict instruction to never refer to Dundee Law as the Law Hill as Law meant Hill so you were saying it twice!!! Aaghh!!!

Best away and do the dishes before Waking the Dead comes on!!!
Researching Mentiply, Graham, Johnston, Gettings in Fife and Lanarkshire. Ross, McLeish, Callan, Whyte in Dundee, Cromarty and Ayrshire.