Rabbie Burns

Stories memories and people

Moderators: Global Moderators, AnneM

Davie

Post by Davie » Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:51 pm

Things not to do at a Burns Supper in Belfast.

1. Do not sit at the tap table, especially if ye cannie dae yer bit, weyoot readin’ aff yer notes.
2. Definitely keep yer big Glesga gob shut, an’don’t make oany so called funny (even if you think they ur) topical remarks oan the collusion o’ the Polis wey the Proddy paramilitaries.
3. Remember, that unlike Glesga, no everywan has the same haunshake as yersel.(even if they dae aw kick wey the same fitt)
4. And this is the maist important wan o’ aw. Efter ye huve a skinfu’, an go back tae yer china’s fawr a cup o’ tea. Do not in any circumstances try tae teach yer God Children aboot Rabbie Burns an bein’ able tae haud yer liquor. This could result in very bad crack, like “Dae ye know Fat Burns? “ and “Theresa Green”.

Worse still, never get intae a bevvy or dittie session wey young Belfast adults at five in the mornin’
One tequila
Two tequila
Three tequila
FLOOR!

Still in NI
Davie

jennyblain

Post by jennyblain » Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:56 pm

I'm just trying to clean up the house and make space - in the past four years or so it's become 'traditional' for me to host a Burns Supper here in Sheffield for some friends, who come quite long distances for it, so it's always on the nearest Saturday :) . Then it can go on all night...

So the Haggises are reposing in the fridge (regular and veggie), the malts are on the shelf in readiness, and I'm trying to sweep up all the dust and mess that my loft conversion has made and turn chaos into semi-order. And I'll be greeting my friends in my half-painted house tomorrow afternoon. Flu got in the way of preparations, as the house should have been a whole week nearer completion. But never mind. There are higher things in life than painting the house... Better find all the poetry now.

:D

Jenny
http://wyrdswell.co.uk/ancestors

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:00 am

An there was me, an Ayrshire lad, 7 years at Alloway Primary School, passing Burns Cottage 4 times a day, and then 4 years of Latin, thinking that the plural of haggis was haggi :!:

Someone better stop me before I launch into the story of the endangered species nature of the Scottish haggis...... a very sad story, including over-hunting during the open season, - that's Hogmanay snd Ne'rday.

David

Russell

Post by Russell » Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:15 am

Hi Davie

Found your DO's & DONT's at a Burns supper very funny and apt but realised that to get the full implications you had to live on the West coast.
There's rules behind the rules and please ignore the funny handshakes.

Sad that some folks still need secret societies. I gave that up when I was about 12 :?:
Still think the West coast is a great place to stay though.

Russell
Working on: Oman, Brock, Miller/Millar, in Caithness.
Roan/Rowan, Hastings, Sharp, Lapraik in Ayr & Kirkcudbrightshire.
Johnston, Reside, Lyle all over the place !
McGilvray(spelt 26 different ways)
Watson, Morton, Anderson, Tawse, in Kilrenny

Bertha

post subject

Post by Bertha » Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:34 pm

DW
Thanks for the words to TheStar O' Rabbie Burns.
There's something quite rousing about a room fool of men singing it doing the actions (going up one level each chorus thats floor chair table!!), watched by us women who sing along but daren't take part in the acrobatics! However I've never had the words in writing to pass on to my children.
I've cooked many a Burns Supper for upto 100 over the years and fair missed doing it this year.
Bertha
Last edited by Bertha on Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
looking for
Nelson/Neilson,Wood,McDonald,Baillie - East Lothian
McLaren,Ross,Kelly,McEwan,Nicholson,Price/Pryce,Telfer,Robertson, Dickson/Dixon, Gibson,Niven Edinburgh

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:52 pm

See whit ye've done,; naebuddy stoaped me.

http://talkingscot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7748

David

chasward

"Morning, after the night before"

Post by chasward » Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:41 am

Found this on t'net a few years ago, I've no idea who the author is/was, or whether he ever finished it....

"Screamin' Heid an Eyes that gaze, Morn too Bright through Alcaholic Haze.
Oh Rabbi, if ye could only see, Whut yer Booze an' Suppers huv done tae me".

(haggis always gi'es me a sare heid tae !)

Charlie. [pour-drink]
family names:Ward, McArthur, McKeown, Mcguckin.
Veni Vidi Velcro (I came I saw I stuck around )

wini

Rabbie Burns

Post by wini » Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:27 am

Not as eloquent as some,
but we used to Stoat the ba' aff the wa' to this rhyme

Rabbie Burns was born in Ayr
Noo he's doon in Georges Square
if ye want tae see him there
Jump on the bus and pay yer fare

John Anderson my Jo John was often used in School for Burns competitions
nowadays the words are too close to home

wini
Munro, McPhee, Gunn, Reid, McCreadie, Jackson, Cree, McFarland,Gillies,Gebbie,McCallum,Dawson
Glasgow, Durness,Kilmuir via Uig, Logie Easter
Old Monkland

jennyblain

Post by jennyblain » Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:30 pm

DavidWW wrote:An there was me, an Ayrshire lad, 7 years at Alloway Primary School, passing Burns Cottage 4 times a day, and then 4 years of Latin, thinking that the plural of haggis was haggi :!:
Or hagges, my preferred one ... I was playing safe here with a vulgar English plural :D What would that be (hagges), 3rd declension?
DavidWW wrote: Someone better stop me before I launch into the story of the endangered species nature of the Scottish haggis...... a very sad story, including over-hunting during the open season, - that's Hogmanay snd Ne'rday.
David

Oh, go on. You know you want to :D

I'm pleased to report that the Totley (Sheffield) Burns Supper went off very well - we had various poetic contributions from substantially later than The Bard and the tone of the evening was a suitable conflation of whisky, wine, ale, poetry, music and philosophy and stumbling around... :P It's always rather funny when I know that only two people can actually follow the words of Tam o Shanter though!

Jenny
http://wyrdswell.co.uk/ancestors