I'm impressed!

Stories memories and people

Moderators: Global Moderators, AnneM

emanday
Global Moderator

I'm impressed!

Post by emanday » Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:17 pm

I've just watched the Edinburgh Tattoo on telly and...

Who'd have thunk it?

During the singing of Auld Lang Syne the camera settled on a wee Chinese lassie with one of the international groups and, I'll tell you, no skill in lip-reading was needed to realise -

SHE KNEW THE WORDS!! =D>=D> =D>

I reckon that must be the most internationally known song ever written.
[b]Mary[/b]
A cat leaves pawprints on your heart
McDonald or MacDonald (some couldn't make up their mind!), Bonner, Crichton, McKillop, Campbell, Cameron, Gitrig (+other spellings), Clark, Sloan, Stewart, McCutcheon, Ireland (the surname)

frances

Post by frances » Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:32 pm

Eight members of our family had the great priviledge of being at the tattoo on Friday night, it was the occassion of our daughter's first wedding anniversary :D . Her and her husband were delighted to hear the traditional Black Bear at he end of the performance. They walked out to this tune after their marriage last year-don't think many brides would have this as their wedding but my dughter wanted it played as it is her brothers favourite piece of pipe music. It certainly got people talking :o .

Frances
searching for macrae family Black Isle/ Invernessshire

Kelly/Kelley/Burns family -Ireland /Lanarkshire/Edinburgh

Tracey
Global Moderator

Post by Tracey » Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:53 pm

SHE KNEW THE WORDS!!
:shock: All of them :!: (or just the first verse and chorus :wink: )
Scotland - Donaldson / Moggach / Shaw / Geddes / Sim / Gray / Mackie / Richards / Joel / Coull / Mckimmie / Panton / McGregor
Ireland and Scotland - Casey / McDade / Phillips / McCandle / Dinely / Comaskey + various spellings

joette
Global Moderator

Post by joette » Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:30 pm

Hear it sung in Arabic & die-New Year Alexandria Egypt!!! :lol: :lol: Only problem was my Arabic was not that great but it sounded right!!
I've come over all nostalgic as it was my ex-hubby singing it-one of the reasons I fell for him!
Researching:SCOTT,Taylor,Young,VEITCH LINLEY,MIDLOTHIAN
WADDELL,ROSS,TORRANCE,GOVAN/DALMUIR/Clackmanannshire
CARR/LEITCH-Scotland,Ireland(County Donegal)
LINLEY/VEITCH-SASK.Canada
ALSO BROWN,MCKIMMIE,MCDOWALL,FRASER.
Greer/Grier,Jenkins/Jankins

emanday
Global Moderator

Post by emanday » Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:52 pm

Just had a surreal experience...

I was having a telephone conversation with my sister-in-law and she mentioned that she and her husband had watched the Tattoo on the telly as well.

When I told her about my surprise at seeing the the wee Chinese lassie knowing the words of Auld Lang Syne, she immediately started singing it to me in TURKISH!

She, my brother-in-law and my husband were British Consulate (Turkey) brats and the local staff all attended the New Year celebrations!

WOW :shock:
[b]Mary[/b]
A cat leaves pawprints on your heart
McDonald or MacDonald (some couldn't make up their mind!), Bonner, Crichton, McKillop, Campbell, Cameron, Gitrig (+other spellings), Clark, Sloan, Stewart, McCutcheon, Ireland (the surname)

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:44 am

frances wrote:Eight members of our family had the great priviledge of being at the tattoo on Friday night, it was the occassion of our daughter's first wedding anniversary :D . Her and her husband were delighted to hear the traditional Black Bear at he end of the performance. They walked out to this tune after their marriage last year-don't think many brides would have this as their wedding but my dughter wanted it played as it is her brothers favourite piece of pipe music. It certainly got people talking :o .

Frances
I can imagine, being the traditional Scottish regimental tune played during the return to barracks :shock:

I hope the congregation got the "double stamp" and "hoooch" in the right places :!:

David

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:59 am

Every three years or so the Norwegian Kungen's Gård (King's Guard) take part, - they're not professionals, but conscripts of 9 months service at the date of the Tattoo, and they traditionally march off singing, word perfect, "We're No Awa' Tae Bide Awa' ....................... ".

They do a drill routine with 100 year old rifles, bayonets fixed, and fling them to each other; one of these years ...................... :cry:

Here's an interesting question.

What high-ranking member of Kungen's Gård is a permanent resident in Edinburgh?

David

frances

Post by frances » Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:51 am

Hi David

I think that would be NILS OLAF a king penguin who lives at Edinburgh Zoo and is the Mascot and Colonel-In -Chief of the King's Guard.

Frances
searching for macrae family Black Isle/ Invernessshire

Kelly/Kelley/Burns family -Ireland /Lanarkshire/Edinburgh

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:21 pm

frances wrote:Hi David

I think that would be NILS OLAF a king penguin who lives at Edinburgh Zoo and is the Mascot and Colonel-In-Chief of the King's Guard.

Frances
Spot on :!:

Colonel-In-Chief Nils Olaf Edinburgh Zoo king penguin.

Congrats [5 cups] [5 cups]

David

JustJean

Post by JustJean » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:45 pm

So tell me....does this important postion and occasion require him to wear a kilt :?: Please tell me that is a "no"....... :roll:

Best wishes
Jean