Problem with My Heritage

The technical section

Moderator: Global Moderators

Lorna Allison

Problem with My Heritage

Post by Lorna Allison » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:10 pm

Hello

I lost my sister in December and while clearing her house found some lovely photos many named and some bits of memorabilia regarding her husband's family. Unfortunately I can find no addresses for his family but I know that a relative attended his funeral 7 years ago.

A search on Google using "Easton Girdwood" shows a tree on My Heritage which I am sure is his family. Thought I had nothing to do but ask Heritage to put me in touch - not as easy as that. I have tried to join their "Free" access as advertised but it seems I must ,in times past, have joined up with them (I have no recollection!) and they keep on saying there are problems with my password. I try to answer their questions and suggestions but to no avail. If only I could speak to a voice - attached to a body preferably :roll:

I am not on Facebook but do have Google Chrome both of which I could use to join apparently but you can also join using your own email address - still no joy.

Now that I know there is someone out there who would probably be interested in having this really lovely collection of small portraits I would really like to get in touch. Any ideas for the way forward ?

Regards

Lorna
Researching:

PAUL: Lanarkshire;
TORRANCE: Lanarkshire
CROSGROVE: Ayrshire, Glasgow
ALLISON: Glasgow
PRICE: Monmouthshire
CURZON: Staffs, Monmouthshire
TAIT, HUME, MIDDLEMAS,: Roxburghshire
PRINGLE: Glasgow, Central Belt, Edinburgh

SarahND
Site Admin

Re: Problem with My Heritage

Post by SarahND » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:35 pm

Hi Lorna,

I currently have a subscription to My Heritage, but when I search for Easton Girdwood, there are only two "results:" one an Easton Grathead and the other a William Easton Greathead who died in 1961. So, in fact, no actual results of interest. :roll: In fact, I can't replicate your Google search results either... I'd be glad to help if you can think of a way for me to do so!

[cheers]

Sarah

Lorna Allison

Post by Lorna Allison » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:22 pm

Thanks so much for picking this up Sarah.

I haven't found the tree I found on My Heritage yesterday :oops: but this is a link to the same one I think.

https://www.myheritage.com/search-recor ... in=profile

I should have explained that Easton and Girdwood are both surnames on the same family tree.

This is what I got on Google for "Easton Girdwood family tree" this evening:

www.myheritage.com › person-1000052_247018151_247018151 › joh...
John George Matthews - Easton Web Site - MyHeritage
Martha Girdwood (born Matthews) His sister ... Source: Ancestry Family Trees ... http://trees.ancestry.com/pt/AMTCitatio ... 570&pid=52 ...

Nice to be in touch it's been a long time.

Kind regards

Lorna
Researching:

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:07 am

Dear Lorna,

It is indeed good to be in touch again! I'm so sorry for the loss of your sister.

I thought that Easton Girdwood was an individual! So no wonder I couldn't find him :roll: I now see the tree you mention. Martha Matthews(1906-1972) married Robert Clelland Girdwood (1907-1994) in 1934 in Uddingston. If you tell me what you would like to say to the owner (perhaps in a PM if you don't want to say it on the public forum) I will try to send a message.

Best wishes,
Sarah

P.S. I should mention that the source for the My Heritage tree is a tree on FamilySearch.org. If you go there (and if you have a free account), you can click on the contributor and perhaps get in touch with him. At least when I do so, one of the choices is to send him a message.

Currie

Post by Currie » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:17 am

Hello Lorna (& Sarah).

If you don’t have any luck with that maybe there’s a clue in the newspapers.

You can access recent Scottish newspapers via NewsBank available here https://auth.nls.uk/eresources/browse/title

It says that paid advertisements are excluded but from my own local access I can find death notices for the following male Girdwoods in the 2012-13 period.

Edward - Motherwell Times - 21 Nov 2013
Ian - Southern Reporter - 22 Nov 2012
Brian - Scotsman - 12 Sep 2012
Ian Johnstone - Southern Reporter - 9 Aug 2012
Frank - Edinburgh Evening News - 24 Jan 2012
Lawrence James - Edinburgh Evening News - 16 Jan 2012

Let me know if you need any help with that.

All the best,
Alan

Anne H
Global Moderator

Post by Anne H » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:58 pm

There are also two trees on Ancestry you might like to contact.

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/ ... 9091/facts

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/ ... cessSource

Regards,
Anne

Lorna Allison

Post by Lorna Allison » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:24 pm

Hello

Thank you very much Sarah for the email address. I have sent off an email to Colin and hope that I will get a reply.

Thanks to Alan and Anne. I shall beaver away at thweekend on those suggestions. The Motherwell obituary looks "hopeful" in that it is in a good area for the family- hope it was not for Colin Easton ! I will think about an Ancestry membership. Wish I could just join for a month. I think that used to be possible.

Brilliant to have your helping hands. =D> Regards

Lorna
Researching:

Anne H
Global Moderator

Post by Anne H » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:55 pm

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/ ... 9091/facts tree owner is Colin Easton with many photos you might recognize.

Good luck making contact!

Regards,

Anne