Problem with My Heritage

The technical section

Moderator: Global Moderators

Lorna Allison

Problem with My Heritage

Post by Lorna Allison » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:10 pm

Hello

I lost my sister in December and while clearing her house found some lovely photos many named and some bits of memorabilia regarding her husband's family. Unfortunately I can find no addresses for his family but I know that a relative attended his funeral 7 years ago.

A search on Google using "Easton Girdwood" shows a tree on My Heritage which I am sure is his family. Thought I had nothing to do but ask Heritage to put me in touch - not as easy as that. I have tried to join their "Free" access as advertised but it seems I must ,in times past, have joined up with them (I have no recollection!) and they keep on saying there are problems with my password. I try to answer their questions and suggestions but to no avail. If only I could speak to a voice - attached to a body preferably :roll:

I am not on Facebook but do have Google Chrome both of which I could use to join apparently but you can also join using your own email address - still no joy.

Now that I know there is someone out there who would probably be interested in having this really lovely collection of small portraits I would really like to get in touch. Any ideas for the way forward ?

Regards

Lorna
Researching:

PAUL: Lanarkshire;
TORRANCE: Lanarkshire
CROSGROVE: Ayrshire, Glasgow
ALLISON: Glasgow
PRICE: Monmouthshire
CURZON: Staffs, Monmouthshire
TAIT, HUME, MIDDLEMAS,: Roxburghshire
PRINGLE: Glasgow, Central Belt, Edinburgh

SarahND
Site Admin

Re: Problem with My Heritage

Post by SarahND » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:35 pm

Hi Lorna,

I currently have a subscription to My Heritage, but when I search for Easton Girdwood, there are only two "results:" one an Easton Grathead and the other a William Easton Greathead who died in 1961. So, in fact, no actual results of interest. :roll: In fact, I can't replicate your Google search results either... I'd be glad to help if you can think of a way for me to do so!

[cheers]

Sarah

Lorna Allison

Post by Lorna Allison » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:22 pm

Thanks so much for picking this up Sarah.

I haven't found the tree I found on My Heritage yesterday :oops: but this is a link to the same one I think.

https://www.myheritage.com/search-recor ... in=profile

I should have explained that Easton and Girdwood are both surnames on the same family tree.

This is what I got on Google for "Easton Girdwood family tree" this evening:

www.myheritage.com › person-1000052_247018151_247018151 › joh...
John George Matthews - Easton Web Site - MyHeritage
Martha Girdwood (born Matthews) His sister ... Source: Ancestry Family Trees ... http://trees.ancestry.com/pt/AMTCitatio ... 570&pid=52 ...

Nice to be in touch it's been a long time.

Kind regards

Lorna
Researching:

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:07 am

Dear Lorna,

It is indeed good to be in touch again! I'm so sorry for the loss of your sister.

I thought that Easton Girdwood was an individual! So no wonder I couldn't find him :roll: I now see the tree you mention. Martha Matthews(1906-1972) married Robert Clelland Girdwood (1907-1994) in 1934 in Uddingston. If you tell me what you would like to say to the owner (perhaps in a PM if you don't want to say it on the public forum) I will try to send a message.

Best wishes,
Sarah

P.S. I should mention that the source for the My Heritage tree is a tree on FamilySearch.org. If you go there (and if you have a free account), you can click on the contributor and perhaps get in touch with him. At least when I do so, one of the choices is to send him a message.

Currie

Post by Currie » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:17 am

Hello Lorna (& Sarah).

If you don’t have any luck with that maybe there’s a clue in the newspapers.

You can access recent Scottish newspapers via NewsBank available here https://auth.nls.uk/eresources/browse/title

It says that paid advertisements are excluded but from my own local access I can find death notices for the following male Girdwoods in the 2012-13 period.

Edward - Motherwell Times - 21 Nov 2013
Ian - Southern Reporter - 22 Nov 2012
Brian - Scotsman - 12 Sep 2012
Ian Johnstone - Southern Reporter - 9 Aug 2012
Frank - Edinburgh Evening News - 24 Jan 2012
Lawrence James - Edinburgh Evening News - 16 Jan 2012

Let me know if you need any help with that.

All the best,
Alan

Anne H
Global Moderator

Post by Anne H » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:58 pm

There are also two trees on Ancestry you might like to contact.

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/ ... 9091/facts

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/ ... cessSource

Regards,
Anne

Lorna Allison

Post by Lorna Allison » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:24 pm

Hello

Thank you very much Sarah for the email address. I have sent off an email to Colin and hope that I will get a reply.

Thanks to Alan and Anne. I shall beaver away at thweekend on those suggestions. The Motherwell obituary looks "hopeful" in that it is in a good area for the family- hope it was not for Colin Easton ! I will think about an Ancestry membership. Wish I could just join for a month. I think that used to be possible.

Brilliant to have your helping hands. =D> Regards

Lorna
Researching:

Anne H
Global Moderator

Post by Anne H » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:55 pm

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/ ... 9091/facts tree owner is Colin Easton with many photos you might recognize.

Good luck making contact!

Regards,

Anne

Lorna Allison

Post by Lorna Allison » Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:29 am

Hello Sarah, Alan and Anne

I think this post should be in a different heading now since Sarah sorted out the My Heritage request for me. If a moderator wants to change it that is fine. Sadly I have not had any contacts so far.

I know that I am now searching for someone who does not come within the allotted timespan for TS but I just want to let you know that I have dug deep into my sister's attic and unearthed a box containing a Family Tree that I did for my brother in law many years ago and which I managed to lose off my own laptop. After I gave them it I was thanked but I didn't really hear anything more about it. Clearly, though, my sister worked with it, separating out Family Views and inserting letters, photos, details they knew of the various family members and general relevant info then bringing each section with additions together.

I will hopefully use this to find someone interested in having it and caring for it.

Thank you for your guidance and help - much appreciated.

Regards
Lorna
Researching:

Currie

Post by Currie » Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:47 pm

Best of luck with that Lorna.

You would have a much better chance now of finding someone who cares. Better that than going to someone for whom they are just a name on the outside edges of a family tree comprising thousands.

All the best,
Alan