AVG giving up free edition?

The technical section

Moderator: Global Moderators

Lorna Allison

AVG giving up free edition?

Post by Lorna Allison » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:01 pm

Hi All

This morning I had to close down my pc quickly while AVG was supposed to be doing its regular update download. When I logged in again up comes a notice to say that AVG will no longer give updates for 7.5 after 18th March and that I should download and update to AVG 8.00. Seems to cost about £34.

This, if true, is sad. I have been very happy with it. Anyone got any info or suggestions - that might cost less than £34? Presumably holding onto AVG 7.5 without updates would not be good?

Lorna
Researching:

PAUL: Lanarkshire;
TORRANCE: Lanarkshire
CROSGROVE: Ayrshire, Glasgow
ALLISON: Glasgow
PRICE: Monmouthshire
CURZON: Staffs, Monmouthshire
TAIT, HUME, MIDDLEMAS,: Roxburghshire
PRINGLE: Glasgow, Central Belt, Edinburgh

PaulaD

Post by PaulaD » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:12 pm

Hi Lorna,

What I know about computers could be written on a postage stamp :? but I have AVG 8.0. I downloaded it free and it did its usual updates about 10 mins ago.
Hope this helps.

Paula
Searching for Barclay Aberdeenshire, Stewart Edinburgh, Brown Edinburgh & Uphall, Finlayson E Lothian, Fairley & Renton E & W Lothian for starters!

marilyn morning
Global Moderator

Post by marilyn morning » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:35 pm

Hi Lorna

Here's the free download

http://download.cnet.com/AVG-Anti-Virus ... 34624.html

Regards
Marilyn

grambo

AVG

Post by grambo » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:19 pm

I would suggest Avast.com. I have been using this for a few years. It use very few resources and updates automatically.

Lorna Allison

Post by Lorna Allison » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:38 am

Thank you all very much. I have just tried to download from the site suggested by Marilyn. It appears to have downloaded. Nothing came up to confirm that all was A-ok so I shall close down and restart and hope that all is well.

Thanks again folks.

Lorna
Researching:

Lorna Allison

Post by Lorna Allison » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:21 pm

Hi

I have had this happen before. I clearly see the computer downloading - timer running etc. but then it finishes and .....vanishes. Maybe I missed seeing some instruction like "run"?

I am sure the whole programme will be taking up space on my computer somewhere, but clearly it is not up and running as I am still getting the "running out" messages.

Can anyone tell me where to look on my Vista to find it and activate it?

What a numpty :oops:

Lorna
Researching:

ninatoo

Post by ninatoo » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:44 pm

I don't know Vista at all, but I thought it might make a difference of you uninstall your original AVG program, then download the new one.

Nina
Researching: Easton ( Renfrewshire, Dunbarton and Glasgow), Corr (Londonderry and Glasgow), Carson (Co. Down, Irvine, Ayrshire and Glasgow), Logan (Londonderry and Glasgow)

speleobat2

Post by speleobat2 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:56 pm

Hi all,

I have Vista and AVG, one of the pay versions. I downloaded and installed the 8.0 update a while back. Seems to me that the 8.0 version took care of uninstalling the 7.5 during the process.

If you click on your AVG icon, it should bring up your AVG window. Look down in the lower left corner and it should tell you which version of everything you are running now.

Also, when you download something and it vanishes, try looking at your download manager to see if it is there or not. Click on View on your toolbar, then on download manager. I just renewed my AVG license which required a new download. I kept clicking on the download because nothing appeared to be happening. When I checked the manager, there were five cancelled downloads and one that was active! :oops: It took forever on dial-up, but once the download was completed, I had to go to the AVG website to click on the installtion link, then everything went smoothly!

Carol :D
Looking for: Clerihew, Longmuir/Longmore, Chalmers, Milne, Barclay in Newhills,
Munro, Cadenhead, Raitt, Ririe/Reary

Lorna Allison

Post by Lorna Allison » Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:52 am

Hi Carol

Hmmmmm. When I click on View in the Toolbar I don't get Download Manager in the drop down list. I'm away to dig out "the book" and see if I find how to get to download manager there.

Lorna
Researching:

Lorna Allison

Post by Lorna Allison » Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:10 am

Me again

I clicked on Start then username at top of list and found a download folder. Opened it and found avg_free_stf_en_. . . . . 60 odd KB dated yesterday, but also on that list were TWO others from yesterday the icon on which I recognise from when I was faffing around. They are both 23 odd KB. The last two don't have the AVG icon but have something like a yellow book with a blue figure 8 lying sideways on the cover. A mystery to me what they are, but the top one with avg free must be the one I want.

I'll see if I can do something with that.

Lorna
Researching: