AVG scans

The technical section

Moderator: Global Moderators

Currie

Post by Currie » Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:48 am

Hello All,

I just did a manual scan of my XP computer using AVG Free. I have about 45GB of data on a 140GB drive. With the scan speed set to fast rather than automatic it took 55 minutes to scan 243,848 objects.

I’ve disabled scheduled scans and do them manually but you have to remember to do them reasonably often.

If your computer is taking forever to do a scan try clearing your cache (temporary internet files), deleting temporary files, and emptying your Recycle Bin.

You can do this with XP by going to Start – Programs – Accessories – System Tools – Disk Cleanup.

Then try a manual scan with the speed set to Fast rather than Automatic and see if that makes any difference. It’s best to do this when you’re not otherwise using the computer.

You may be scanning huge amounts of data that is nothing more than clutter.

Alan

ninatoo

Post by ninatoo » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:34 am

My purchased version is telling me to upgrade to AVG 8.5 and to be honest I am very wary after reading this thread (and one somewhere else which said the update caused some problems).
Researching: Easton ( Renfrewshire, Dunbarton and Glasgow), Corr (Londonderry and Glasgow), Carson (Co. Down, Irvine, Ayrshire and Glasgow), Logan (Londonderry and Glasgow)

Tracey
Global Moderator

Post by Tracey » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:51 am

I havnt upgraded, i ignored the notice simply because i havnt had the time to do anything about it. At present i am running the "fast scan" which looks like it could be on course to run just under the usual time of 4 ish hours. Despite this blip i am still far happier with this than any of the paid for ones, Norton and McAfee that have had in the past and i have found it to be the least intrusive, touching wood as i speak :lol: .
Scotland - Donaldson / Moggach / Shaw / Geddes / Sim / Gray / Mackie / Richards / Joel / Coull / Mckimmie / Panton / McGregor
Ireland and Scotland - Casey / McDade / Phillips / McCandle / Dinely / Comaskey + various spellings

Ted

Post by Ted » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:55 am

Hi Folks

For what it is worth - I use AVG Pro (subscription version) - and have done so for years. I got a new PC (running Window XP by preference)a few weeks ago and upgraded to AVG 8.5. No problems whatever and it runs very fast. I have 500GB hard drive - a full scan yesterday took 13 minutes and 29 seconds. I have previously used Norton & Mcafee - AVG is by far the best in my experience. I agree with Alan - clean up disc and defragment could help a lot.

Ted
Looking for Allan / Gordon / Troup / McInnes / Grant / Taylor / Jackson from Aberdeen (city & shire) & Banffshire
Alexander / Allan / Stewart in W Lothian
Allan / Burnett in USA and Canada / Davidson & Philp in Fife and Lanarkshire

Tracey
Global Moderator

Post by Tracey » Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:32 am

3hrs 51m 8 seconds to scan 404803 items and i do clear everything once a week sometimes more depending on how much time i spend on here - and defrag etc once a month.

Now its spybots turn ........................Sunday pc chores :wink:
Scotland - Donaldson / Moggach / Shaw / Geddes / Sim / Gray / Mackie / Richards / Joel / Coull / Mckimmie / Panton / McGregor
Ireland and Scotland - Casey / McDade / Phillips / McCandle / Dinely / Comaskey + various spellings

speleobat2

Post by speleobat2 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:39 pm

Well, after 20 hours and 15 minutes with about 175,000 items to go out of 608,000 approx., I've had enough! I'm stopping this scan and emailing AVG.

I've emptied the cache and updated everything and can't find anything relevant in the FAQs. My disk defrag runs regularily. Can't think of anything else to try.

Carol [sigh]
Looking for: Clerihew, Longmuir/Longmore, Chalmers, Milne, Barclay in Newhills,
Munro, Cadenhead, Raitt, Ririe/Reary

Tracey
Global Moderator

Post by Tracey » Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:42 pm

Was that supposed to be a fast scan :shock: !

speleobat2

Post by speleobat2 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:58 pm

The funny thing is yes it was supposed to be fast! I had changed the speed by moving the arrow all the way to the right! Maybe I should have used reverse psychology and moved it all the way to the left instead!

Carol :lol:

speleobat2

Post by speleobat2 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:56 pm

Interesting: I went back and ran a full disk clean-up instead of just deleting the temporary files, then started yet another manual scan. Just checked it and the scan seems to be running super fast. It has scanned right around 300,000 items in 1 hour 40 minutes. At that rate it should finish in about 3 hours which would be an all time record!

Carol :?

Tracey
Global Moderator

Post by Tracey » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:30 pm

Fingers crossed for you.................