GEDCOM-VISTA

The technical section

Moderator: Global Moderators

wini

GEDCOM-VISTA

Post by wini » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:12 am

My new computer has the dreaded Vista.
I transferred my Family Historian on to an external HD, but Vista won't recognise the file, Can I have some help please.

wini
Munro, McPhee, Gunn, Reid, McCreadie, Jackson, Cree, McFarland,Gillies,Gebbie,McCallum,Dawson
Glasgow, Durness,Kilmuir via Uig, Logie Easter
Old Monkland

nelmit

Re: GEDCOM-VISTA

Post by nelmit » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:58 am

wini wrote:My new computer has the dreaded Vista.
I transferred my Family Historian on to an external HD, but Vista won't recognise the file, Can I have some help please.

wini
I'm sure you have - but just in case I'll ask the obvious - have you remembered to install Family Historian on your new computer? :lol: If you have what version?

Regards,
Annette

wini

Post by wini » Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:36 am

Version 3 Annette.
I see the upgrade to Ver. 4 is coming soon but I would just be happy to get Ver. 3 going.
I have also emailed myself FH Ver. 3 but can't open that either

wini
Munro, McPhee, Gunn, Reid, McCreadie, Jackson, Cree, McFarland,Gillies,Gebbie,McCallum,Dawson
Old Monkland

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:54 am

wini wrote:Version 3 Annette.
I see the upgrade to Ver. 4 is coming soon but I would just be happy to get Ver. 3 going.
I have also emailed myself FH Ver. 3 but can't open that either

wini

I take it the programme installed on your new computer with no problems so have you tried just opening the programme (without opening any files) via the shortcut on your desktop.

According to the FH site version 3 runs on Vista.

Regards,
Annette

wini

Post by wini » Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:14 pm

t sends it to Picture Manager and then says it has to be opened in Office 2007
Can't do it.
Same as the email I sent myself, The email will open but not the attachment.
It seems as if itis the Gedcom file it doesn't recognise.

wini
Old Monkland

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:46 pm

wini wrote:t sends it to Picture Manager and then says it has to be opened in Office 2007
Can't do it.
Same as the email I sent myself, The email will open but not the attachment.
It seems as if itis the Gedcom file it doesn't recognise.

wini
I'm hoping somebody with a bit more technical knowledge will step in but it sounds to me like you don't have FH installed on your computer. :?

Regards,
Annette

trish1

Post by trish1 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:33 pm

If FH is installed on your new computer - it would seem vista does not have the correct setup telling it which program to use to open the data file. From your comments it seems to be trying a few.

If it is the program itself you have trouble with, you need to reinstall it from the original CD. You would not be able to directly copy the program from one computer to another - it needs to be installed to update all the correct registry items or whatever.

Once the program is installed (I don't have that program, so don't know the exact command) it must have an option to "open" - as per file/open in most programs, so you should be able to do that and select your data file, which would have been created by FH on your old computer. I don't know what the extension code is for FH data files - but it is presumably these files that have to be transferred to the new computer.

There would also be a method to direct vista to open your ged or other FH extension data files with the correct program - I know how to do this in XP but have no idea re vista

Trish

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:49 pm

trish1 wrote:
I don't know what the extension code is for FH data files - but it is presumably these files that have to be transferred to the new computer.

Trish
They are gedcom files which makes me think wini has nothing installed on her new computer that will read them.

As with most programmes FH automatically creates a shortcut on the desktop for easy access.

Regards,
Annette

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:11 pm

They are gedcom files which makes me think wini has nothing installed on her new computer that will read them.

As with most programmes FH automatically creates a shortcut on the desktop for easy access.
Just thinking aloud here...if you double clicked on the GEDCOM file that will not work. You'd need to launch the family history program first then import the gedcom.

Best wishes
Lesley

wini

Post by wini » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:40 am

Annette, Lesley and Trish,
Thanks for the advice.
I have downloaded the new Ver. 4 and the gedcom can now be opened in FH.
Now I will have to see where my Census details are.
Just hopeless aren't I.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

wini
Old Monkland