MyHeritage problem

The technical section

Moderator: Global Moderators

ninatoo

MyHeritage problem

Post by ninatoo » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:20 am

Hi all,

Firstly I have just posted this at rootschat.com, as there was an existing thread there, but then realised someone asked almost the same question in June and received no answer. So I thought I'd try here, and hope I have posted it in the right place!

Myheritage.com have sent an email recently telling members that they have had a free ride for long enough and now it's time to pay. So I thought...I pay enough for other things, and I will just delete my tree from there, since I haven't had any benefit from it being there anyway (which by the way I myself never PUT there in the first place - it was aquired by them when they bought up Gencircles, despite Gencircles saying in their privacy statement that they would never pass on our trees). :evil:

After a frustrating hour I still couldn't work out how to remove my tree without removing records one by one or cancel membership, and so I emailed them a few days ago. No reply, buit today they sent me smart matches. :evil:

Does anyone knoe how to remove records and membership from the site?

Nina
Researching: Easton ( Renfrewshire, Dunbarton and Glasgow), Corr (Londonderry and Glasgow), Carson (Co. Down, Irvine, Ayrshire and Glasgow), Logan (Londonderry and Glasgow)

Currie

Post by Currie » Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:04 am

Hello Nina,

Is this the right site? If so here’s a list of FAQ’s.
http://www.myheritage.com/help/topics/family-site/en/

And are these the answers you need? http://www.myheritage.com/help/2008/10/ ... site-2/en/

How do I delete my family tree from my family site?
1. Log in and enter your family site.
2. Click on the Family Tree page and then Manage Trees.
3. This page shows a list of all the trees on your family site.
4. The option to delete any tree is located here.

And/or http://www.myheritage.com/help/2008/11/ ... y-site/en/

How do I delete my family site?
If you would like to delete your family site from MyHeritage.com, please visit the site and copy the family site address from the browser and paste it into our support contact form: www.myheritage.com/contact-support.
If you would just like to unsubscribe from email newsletters, then click on the Settings tab in the main menu and change your newsletter preferences.
***Note: It is possible to delete your family tree ONLY. This will save you from having to re-invite all your family site members and create/remember a new website address. It will also take care of mistakes in the family tree, allowing you to start over.

Hope that’s it,
Alan

ninatoo

Post by ninatoo » Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:06 am

Thanks Alan....I am still trying to work out why it was that I never found those instructions anywhere when I looked for them.

I will see how it goes. Deletions seemed successful....now I am hoping I don't hear from them again!

Nina
Researching: Easton ( Renfrewshire, Dunbarton and Glasgow), Corr (Londonderry and Glasgow), Carson (Co. Down, Irvine, Ayrshire and Glasgow), Logan (Londonderry and Glasgow)

emanday
Global Moderator

Post by emanday » Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:15 am

Hi Nina,

One thing to watch out for...

Just because you have deleted your tree might not mean that the information has been deleted from the MyHeritage archive :shock:

I discovered this on another site a few years ago (Sorry, can't remember which one). When I went back to it later and uploaded an updated tree I discovered that my old tree information was coming up as hints :twisted:
[b]Mary[/b]
A cat leaves pawprints on your heart
McDonald or MacDonald (some couldn't make up their mind!), Bonner, Crichton, McKillop, Campbell, Cameron, Gitrig (+other spellings), Clark, Sloan, Stewart, McCutcheon, Ireland (the surname)

ninatoo

Post by ninatoo » Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:23 am

Ooh thanks emanday,

I wonder what could be done about that?

I did check up on gencircles, and the page is still up on the internet where they mention the privacy thing, so I did a 'print screen' with the date showing so I could use it later if necessary. However I have read that the gencircles man was very hard to get in touch with. And Myheritage is based in Iran....

Thanks for the 'heads up'. I will be checking for that periodically.

Nina

StewL

Post by StewL » Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:37 am

Nina
Lucky I read this thread :D I completely forgot I had a tree on Gencircles :oops: I haven't been on the site for a long, long time. It wasn't much help anyway, never got a match if I recall. Must have a look at what is going on now.
Stewie

Searching for: Anderson, Balks, Barton, Courtney, Davidson, Downie, Dunlop, Edward, Flucker, Galloway, Graham, Guthrie, Higgins, Laurie, Mathieson, McLean, McLuckie, Miln, Nielson, Payne, Phillips, Porterfield, Stewart, Watson

ninatoo

Post by ninatoo » Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:56 am

Hi Stewie,

As far as I recall, I did nothing to transfer my tree to My Heritage, so if you go there you might find your tree too, but then why have they not sent you emails...maybe they were filtered into junk mail? My previous user name and password for gencircles were also transferred over I think...so have a go at those.

I first noticed that my tree had moved because all of a sudden MyHeritage started sending me emails, and at the time I managed to find out that Gencircles had been purchased by them - there was NO warning from Gencircles. So as there seemed to be no damage done I let it go, but in trying to find out more lately I realised that Gencircles should never have given anyone's tree to anyone else, as it says explicitly in their privacy policy that they would not.

Reading more on the internet, it seems the owner of Gencircles was a shady character that nobody could get in touch with anyway.

Nina

StewL

Post by StewL » Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:52 am

Hi Nina
My email addy has changed a few times since I was on Gencircles, so that is why I haven't had any emails :lol:
Stewie

Searching for: Anderson, Balks, Barton, Courtney, Davidson, Downie, Dunlop, Edward, Flucker, Galloway, Graham, Guthrie, Higgins, Laurie, Mathieson, McLean, McLuckie, Miln, Nielson, Payne, Phillips, Porterfield, Stewart, Watson