using 1881 lds cds

The technical section

Moderator: Global Moderators

Shortfuse

using 1881 lds cds

Post by Shortfuse » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:08 pm

Looking for help again :roll:
I am unable to view my 1881 lds census cds. I have looked on the search function but could not find anything and after using google it would seem that the viewer will not work with Windows 7 ( IE10 ) I was wondering if anyone had found a fix for this problem ?
I read on one post about putting the discs directly onto the hard drive but it looks like a job for someone with some pc knowhow. Sorry if this has been done to death but I can't find anything using the search

regards to all sf

Mike Black

Re: using 1881 lds cds

Post by Mike Black » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:57 pm

Think you will find the problem is with your Windows version. I can use the CD's with Windows 7 and I.E 10 but only with the 32 bit version of Windows. If your system is the 64 bit version then the reader will not work. LDS know of this but apparently have no intention of releasing another version of the reader.

StewL

Post by StewL » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:06 pm

I contacted the LDS also and was told as it is all available online they would not be issuing a new updated viewer
Stewie

Searching for: Anderson, Balks, Barton, Courtney, Davidson, Downie, Dunlop, Edward, Flucker, Galloway, Graham, Guthrie, Higgins, Laurie, Mathieson, McLean, McLuckie, Miln, Nielson, Payne, Phillips, Porterfield, Stewart, Watson

carlineric

Post by carlineric » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:41 pm

I'm sure some told me they had been told there was an update to the viewer. (this was a the SAFHS conference at Galashiels). There is a way of running the viewer but it depends on the version of Windows 7 you have. If you have the professional version you can download "XP mode" from Microsoft, all this is MS Virtual PC and a copy of XP. If you do not have pro but have a spare copy of XP you should be able to install it onto Virtual PC which is available for all flavours of Windows 7.

Eric
Eric

Shortfuse

Post by Shortfuse » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:56 pm

Many thanks for the information, it is the 64 bit version I'm using so it looks like I'm out of luck. I have an old redundant desktop that I can fire up and use, not so handy but it should do a turn.

many thanks again sf

Mike Black

Post by Mike Black » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:16 pm

That is exactly what I have done. Real nuisance but does let you make full use of the CD's. New PC runs on Windows 8 64 bit so for anyone else looking to upgrade their machine be aware of this problem.

Shortfuse

Post by Shortfuse » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:16 am

Really feel :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: [rant] [rant] [rant]

sf

ninatoo

Post by ninatoo » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:50 am

:x :x :x

My familysearch vital records disks don't work either. I've sent them an email, but I expect it will be the same answer.
Researching: Easton ( Renfrewshire, Dunbarton and Glasgow), Corr (Londonderry and Glasgow), Carson (Co. Down, Irvine, Ayrshire and Glasgow), Logan (Londonderry and Glasgow)

trish1

Post by trish1 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:35 pm

The 64 bit seems to be the death of many FH CDs - I have some from the Australian states - BMD records - and although most are available online - the searching on the CDs have much better options. Couple of years ago because of a trip to hospital I bought a notebook - pure luck it was 32 bit - so it has all the CDs loaded & sits next to my main computer.

Trish

ninatoo

Post by ninatoo » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:59 am

Here's my reply:

"Thank you for contacting FamilySearch.

Resource File Viewer is not compatible with ANY 64-bit version of Windows. This includes XP, Vista, 7 and Windows 8.

Click anywhere on the blue link below for a document that addresses your question.

Sincerely,

FamilySearch
Patron and Partner Services
support@familysearch.org

Document Links:
Resource File Viewer and Vista, Windows 7 and 8: Runtime errors " (On the email I just had to click on the words on the left, but not working here, so):

https://help.familysearch.org/publishin ... ublic.html

[rant]

Of course clicking on the link does not give any extra information. On that new page it says to click on another link to find information online, but that link isn't working. :roll:

How very sad. There were times that names were listed on the disks but not the IGI website. So now do I just throw out the Vital Records CD's? Annoying!

[rant]

Nina
Researching: Easton ( Renfrewshire, Dunbarton and Glasgow), Corr (Londonderry and Glasgow), Carson (Co. Down, Irvine, Ayrshire and Glasgow), Logan (Londonderry and Glasgow)