Viewing Gallery

The technical section

Moderator: Global Moderators

HK

Post by HK » Sun Feb 27, 2005 7:25 pm

Thanks Mesklin ,But I can't read the printable guide either. :?
HK

mesklin

Guides

Post by mesklin » Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:55 pm

Heather

Download Adobe Acrobat 7. Guide is a PDF file.

Mesklin

HK

Post by HK » Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:13 pm

I already have it.
Hk

mesklin

Try another BB

Post by mesklin » Sun Feb 27, 2005 11:42 pm

Heather

Try this link

http://coppermine.sourceforge.net/demo/ ... hp?pos=-45

If it fails, go to http://coppermine.sourceforge.net/demo/ and see if you can download any PDF files from there, doing it as you would on TalkingScot

Try the manual.pdf in bottom RH corner. Let me know results.

Mesklin

HK

Post by HK » Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:54 am

Hello Mesklin,Lovely except for one.There are 4 blocks with:
FILE TEXT DOC FILE

on them.I can't read the DOC.I get a message that says "Cannot load word for window 6.0 files."It's a MS- Word Document.
Hope this helps.
HK

Dz

Post by Dz » Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:33 am

Anonymous wrote:Hello Mesklin,Lovely except for one.There are 4 blocks with:
FILE TEXT DOC FILE

on them.I can't read the DOC.I get a message that says "Cannot load word for window 6.0 files."It's a MS- Word Document.
Hope this helps.
HK
If you don't already possess something that can read WORD documents (e.g. - MS-Office, MS-Word, StarOffice, etc.), you can obtain the Microsoft WORD VIEWER for free, directly from their website. (However, it must be stated that MS-WORD dcouments can be very dangerous from a security standpoint; they can contain destructive macro instructions, and ANY other format is preferable, from the almost-universal and fancy PDF files to the stately old PLAIN TEXT, readable by every computer on the face of the earth.)

If you DO already have an MS-Word viewer on your windows machine (and the document ISN'T automatically opened up upon downloading), you need to fix your widnows setup for "registered" file types.

Usually, this is done by clicking on "My Computer", then VIEW/OPTIONS/FILE TYPES. Find "Microsoft Word Document" in the list, and EDIT the entry so that it calls your MS-WORD package or Wordviewer. (Add a "New File Type" if it doesn't already exist.)

When you installed the Acrobat reader, it should also have automatically included PDFs in the file type list - AND chosen the Acrobat Reader to view them when a pdf is selected or downloaded.

The problems you are seeing (neither pdf nor word docs opening automatically) indicate to me that you need to fix your "registered" file types.

Of course, if you are using the microsoft defaults without any sort of personalization changes, it will try to hide all sorts of things from you - especially "foreign" file types, such as pdf.

HeatherH
Global Moderator

Post by HeatherH » Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:38 am

Hi everyone,Mesklin has worked really hard to solve my problem and after trying 101 different things including being deleted today so that I'm now the newest member and my previous posts now belong to someone called Guest all I can say is,I CAN SEE!My only regret is that here was my big chance to get a new handle and I missed it.What do you all think.Should I have gone with Chatty Kathy? :lol:
Heather (Guest)K

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:05 am

HeatherK wrote:Hi everyone,Mesklin has worked really hard to solve my problem and after trying 101 different things including being deleted today so that I'm now the newest member and my previous posts now belong to someone called Guest all I can say is,I CAN SEE!My only regret is that here was my big chance to get a new handle and I missed it.What do you all think.Should I have gone with Chatty Kathy? :lol:
Heather (Guest)K
Heather

You want "Chatty Kathy" ?

It can be fixed :lol:

Davie

Jack

TIFF images

Post by Jack » Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:29 am

Hi Folks,

My memory is, without a doubt, failing! Annette's solution of "save target as" rang a bell, but i wasn't too sure why.

I'd thought it was maybe months back on the old DG, but no - it was on TS just a few weeks ago. I'd answered my own query (26th Feb) on my inability to view TIFFs on 13th Jan - in Wilma's post on Jeanie Fraser Gray.

"... I right clicked on the link and saved target as a TIFF Image to My Docs. Then went My Docs, right clicked on it, and in "Open With" selected Windows Picture and Fax Viewer. Perfect...."

I now know that when you hover the pointer over a file in the Gallery it says what format it's in - you then just save it as that. So yet another instruction is now printed out and pinned to the wall. :D

Thanks to all - Jack

bryanbid

viewing Gallery .TIF files

Post by bryanbid » Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:48 pm

there seems to be lots of problems here with the Gallery TIF files. I wonder if the problems are limited to users of Windows XP? or is this problem occuring under different operating systems?

I use windows 2000 and surprisingly enough it is the most stable OS I have ever used it even comes with a great program called "Imaging" which is brilliant for viewing Tif files, and as such I have no problems viewing gallery files.I did hear that Microsoft left this out of XP, and left people using XP to make do with the fax viewer which is very basic, maybe hoping that some third party software vendor would supply the solution. And surprisingly enough if u can download the .tif file then I can wholeheartedly recommend the following FREE program "IrfanView 32".

"IrfanView 32" will open almost any file and allow you to save in almost any format.

If you have in the past been able to view images, and nothing has changed but now you cannot or get "odd" images, while your browser is open, go to TOOLS then Internet Options. You will see a section called TEMPORARY INTERNET FILES, Click on DELETE FILES you can go ahead and delete offline content, this may take a couple of minutes to complete, depending on how many files you had. Once this is complete, close your browser, then reopen and you should now be able to view the images again. You may need to upgrade your Internet Explorer to the latest version also.

Anyone have QuickTime installed on their machine and are unable to View or Print Tif Images I have found that if you upgrade to Quicktime Version 6 or later and DO NOT associate it with IMAGES, Quicktime can coexist with other Image viewers and will not interfere. Open Quicktime, go to EDIT, then Preferences, then Quicktime Preferences, in Scroll Box, Select Browser Plugins, then at the bottom, click on MIME SETTINGS, Uncheck Still Images Click Ok/Apply. This should do it, but I have had to re-associate the tif/tiff extensions with the proper viewer also. I have only tried this with Version 6, so do not know if this is possible with earlier versions. You may need to upgrade your Internet Explorer to the latest version also.

anyway enuff of my ramblings I hope I may have been of help.

B