Please help! spam.

The technical section

Moderator: Global Moderators

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:10 pm

Jockbird wrote:Evening!

I'm having the same problem & like Pinkshoes mine only happened in the last 5 or 6 days.

I'm used to the bouncebacks with AOL but now I'm getting up to 10 a day from all over the globe.

I'm with Orange, I called them, got some poor girl who I could not understand and was on the phone for 37 minutes to come up with the square root of s*d all! She just referred me to one of their Help & Support bits....like I'd not read that already??? [comp-hammer]

....snipped ..................

Donna :wink:
x
Donna

Shouldn't that " * " be a " ? ", or has there been something too sheltered in my upbringing leading a deficiency in my knowledge regarding naughty words starting with "s" and ending with "d" :?: :twisted:

David

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:16 pm

Jockbird wrote:Out of interest, do any of you clever computer people know of a way to stop your e-mail address being abused once it has started???

x
Yes.

Using one of the services whereby you only agree to accept an email once you are informed that there is an email for you from an address that you haven't previously approved. (If that ain't easy to understand, today started for me at 05:30 GMT and got worse :cry: )

This may only be available if you sign up with certain ISPs, thereby requiring a change in email address, but I'm sure that I've read somewhere that there are third party sites who will offer this service for your existing email address.........

The main problem is that it can p*s off existing correspondents if you don't add their name to the approved list, never mind new folk who want to make contact with you, and you're not at home to give a quick approval.....

David

Jockbird

Post by Jockbird » Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:17 pm

David,

I was going to put the square root of b*gg*r all but thought I was in enough trouble with all this email shennanigans (apols for spelling!)

It was just an 'o' missing......I am from Bearsden, I shouldn't be talking like this at all! People will say it's my dad's Bankie influence! (Nae offence Bankies - just jesting)

x

Jockbird

Post by Jockbird » Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:27 pm

David,

I suppose, in a way, that's what is happening with McAfee's Spamkiller as I can check what I've got and rescue if necessary....I've had to pull a few pals out of junk recently. Or have I got the wrong end of the stick?

Orange won't let you change the domain part (the @username.wanadoo.co.uk bit) you'd have to register another account....I don't think so, I think once the 12 months is up with them for the livebox I'll be off as the livebox hasn't worked since a thunderstorm and their 'helpline' won't help.

Anyone recommend a good ISP?

Donna
x

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:37 am

Jockbird wrote:David,

I was going to put the square root of b*gg*r all but thought I was in enough trouble with all this email shennanigans (apols for spelling!)
I wouldn't have objected !!

Perfectly acceptable expression in my lexicon :!: :shock:
Jockbird wrote:It was just an 'o' missing......I am from Bearsden, I shouldn't be talking like this at all! People will say it's my dad's Bankie influence! (Nae offence Bankies - just jesting)

x
Bearsden? - Bankie? now you'e got me totally confused, as "Bearsden" is verging on "Kelvinside" and whatever the Embra equivalent is, but "Bankie influence" would be something different ..... ? .... ?

David

Jockbird

Post by Jockbird » Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:21 am

Well that's just the 6 dodgy emails this morning (well that I know of anyway) and my virus scan says everything is ok.

What's everyone else getting? Are your anti-viruses suggesting everything is fine?

x

p.s. David, Dad was brought up in Clydebank, Dalmuir actually, but anything common was blamed on him being from there by my gran.......haven't a clue what the Embra equivalent would be. :lol:

Rach

Post by Rach » Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:49 pm

One thing about TS is that you don't feel so alone! I can see I am not the only one who has bad thoughts [*-^+ ***!] about spam.
Thanks to everyone and if anyone comes up with a magic solution they could make a fortune.
Rae
Names of interest: Perthshire- Taylor, McDonald, McRaw, Gould; Caithness- Cormack, Campbell, Sutherland; Berwickshire- Darling, Johnson, Whitlie, Forrest/Forrester/Foster, Barns/Barnes,Buglass/Bookless; Wilson, Thorburn, Cowe, Laing, Rae, Colven, Collin,

emanday
Global Moderator

Post by emanday » Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:22 pm

Rach wrote:One thing about TS is that you don't feel so alone! I can see I am not the only one who has bad thoughts [*-^+ ***!] about spam.
Thanks to everyone and if anyone comes up with a magic solution they could make a fortune.
Rae
I can see it being a "Poacher turned Gamekeeper" situation, same as happened in the war against viruses. Some of the best anti-virus stuff was devised and is still being created by ex-virus writers!
[b]Mary[/b]
A cat leaves pawprints on your heart
McDonald or MacDonald (some couldn't make up their mind!), Bonner, Crichton, McKillop, Campbell, Cameron, Gitrig (+other spellings), Clark, Sloan, Stewart, McCutcheon, Ireland (the surname)

Jockbird

Post by Jockbird » Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:37 pm

Rach,

I was so pleased to see your post, like you say you don't feel alone and with the knowledge of the likes of Mary and others you know if there is an answer out there someone will help.

It's getting better, just the 2 have sneaked through since I posted last.....hopefully I'll be none soon!

Let's hope one of those little blighters finds a way of fixing it! [-o<

All the best
x