The technical section

Moderator: Global Moderators

Cathy

Gremlins?

Post by Cathy » Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:50 pm

I have just logged in and have this message:

You last visited on Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:42 pm
The time now is Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:42 pm

I was last on site last evening. This also happened a couple of weeks ago, which means I can't view any of the latest postings, as there are none between 1.42 pm and 1.42pm.

Does anyone understand this? No-one has been near the computer for hours, and I'm the only one who uses the site.

I'm still not receiving notice of replies.
Cathy

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:43 pm

Hi Cathy,

Occasionally that will happen. During the log on process there will be glitch (at your side, at TalkingScot's or in between, I don't know), and that will result in the system thinking that you logged in, logged out and logged back in again, giving the two same times showing at the top of the forum. The annoying part of that is if you use the "new posts since last visit", the system has then lost the time of your true previous visit. and it sees no new posts between the two times at the top of the forum.

All the best,

AndrewP

Currie

Post by Currie » Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:45 pm

No idea really - but you could check that your computer is showing the correct time and date. (i.e. bottom right hand corner - Windows XP etc.) or maybe something has changed in the time zone/date format area at the bottom of your profile page.

Don't panic but you could run a Virus and Spyware scan if you don't get a better answer from others.

Currie

Post by Currie » Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:50 pm

AndrewP beat me to the button but his is the better answer.

Cathy

Post by Cathy » Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:41 pm

Thanks Andrew.
Cathy

Cathy

Its happened again.

Post by Cathy » Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:33 pm

You last visited on Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:29 pm
The time now is Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:30 pm
Cathy

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:39 pm

Hi Cathy
What a frustrating problem. Not sure why it is happening to you.
It may not help, and Andrew may be able to advise here, but it would not do any harm to clear out your cookies just incase that might have any bearing on the problem.
If using IE7 go to:
Tools> Internet Options>General tab, then look under browing history and click Delete - you should get a list of things you can delete, cookies being one of them.

Best wishes
Lesley

trish1

Post by trish1 » Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:42 pm

Hi Cathy

It has done it to me a number of times & it is as Andrew described - the problem usually being my end - we have a "network" at home & for unknown reasons it likes to drop me out - I start being somewhat "heavy" on the keyboard & usually manage to convince TS I have been on and off within a couple of minutes

Trish

Cathy

Post by Cathy » Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:47 pm

Hi Folks,
I am Soooooooooooooooooo green at this stuff.
Lesley will it affect anything else if I delete all cookies?
There appear to be millions of them.
Cathy

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:44 pm

Hi Cathy
Lesley will it affect anything else if I delete all cookies?
The kind of thing it might affect is if you have asked for your log in names and/or password to be remembered by web sites. e.g. when I sign in to Hotmail on my own PC, it remembers my sign in name, but I have it set not to remember my password. When you sign in to Talking Scot there is a box you can tick to have it remember your log in and password and automatically sign you in - this type of info is stored in a cookie. Because I work on many different PCs (work) I don't have this ticked as an option, but if you were the only person working on your own PC you may have ticked this box to make life easier for yourself. Web sites such as Amazon also set cookies so that they can display items (e.g. books/CDs/DVDs) you may be interested in, based on what you have aready searched for.

However.... it seems several people had log-in problems yesterday, and problems with the time displayed of last log-in at the top of the forum, as you did, so it is probably nothing at all to do with cookies, but perhaps some technical glitch with either the forum software or the TS server. We are not sure what caused it. So no need to delete your cookies after all!

...and breathe..... :lol:

Best wishes
Lesley