Where did you hear of TalkingScot? (2010)

TalkingScot asks its members...

Moderator: Global Moderators

Russell

Re: Where did you hear of TalkingScot (2010)

Post by Russell » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:52 am

Hi Alimac

[scotland-flag]
Welcome to a site that's fun, capable and has some fantastic members who enjoy knocking down brick walls, hunting out obscure place names, piecing together fascinating family stories and informing about places as they are and as they used to be.
We all help each other and learn more from each other at the same time.

Russell
Working on: Oman, Brock, Miller/Millar, in Caithness.
Roan/Rowan, Hastings, Sharp, Lapraik in Ayr & Kirkcudbrightshire.
Johnston, Reside, Lyle all over the place !
McGilvray(spelt 26 different ways)
Watson, Morton, Anderson, Tawse, in Kilrenny

jaykim

Post by jaykim » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:39 am

I googled St John's Episcopalian Church Baillieston and it lead me to your website. I am looking for the burial ground of my Great Grandfather who died in Jan 2nd 1922 and cannot find out where is is buried despite asking my father whose memory is pretty bad!! I have been to Old & new Monkland Cemetary and have been in touch with Bellshill and they can't find him either.

Alan SHARP

Post by Alan SHARP » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:07 am

Greetings from New Zealand.

Unless you do things completely differently in the UK, may I suggest you try and find a newspaper notice of the death and the name of the Undertaker. Even when Funeral Director's go out of business or are bought out, the Director's client lists are a valued asset. and are normally retained by the new identity or bought by the "opposition" In New Zealand undertakers records are very helpful and the companies, are normally very helpful in assisting with "family" enquiries.

Alan SHARP.

Rockford

Post by Rockford » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:47 pm

Hi Jaykim,

Try looking for him at http://www.memento-mori.co.uk - that site has transcribed gravestone inscriptions for Baillieston Crosshill and Baillieston St John's and has the information in PDF format. If you find someone, for a small fee you can then request photos of the stone.

Best wishes

Brian

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:13 pm

I gather the episode of Who Do You Think You Are (UK version) which featured TalkingScot was shown recently in Australia Image (on 18-July?). I take it that accounts for the 20 new memberships in the past couple of days from there.

[TS_welcome]

Is that where you heard of TalkingScot?

All the best,

AndrewP

Currie

Post by Currie » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:56 am

Hello Andrew,

That was the one featuring David Mitchell. I think he’s famous for being PC in the Getamac ads. I missed that one but maybe they’ll restart him later. http://www.sbs.com.au/shows/whodoyouthi ... 7/season/6

If there are any Australian resident WDYTYAholics out there, you can still watch the first and second Australian series, 12 episodes, in full, on the small screen at the SBS Television website. http://www.sbs.com.au/shows/whodoyouthi ... hinkyouare

Alan

elise

Post by elise » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:20 am

Hi Andrew,

I found TalkingScot after seeing it featured on "Who Do You Think You Are", David Mitchell episode.

Elise

jaykim

Post by jaykim » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:02 pm

Alan SHARP wrote:Greetings from New Zealand.

Unless you do things completely differently in the UK, may I suggest you try and find a newspaper notice of the death and the name of the Undertaker. Even when Funeral Director's go out of business or are bought out, the Director's client lists are a valued asset. and are normally retained by the new identity or bought by the "opposition" In New Zealand undertakers records are very helpful and the companies, are normally very helpful in assisting with "family" enquiries.

Alan SHARP.

HI Alan

Thanks for the suggestion. I have email the newspaper archives in Scotland and hopefully will get a reply about which newspapers I need to look at. I am off to Scotland next month so can go through them when I am there. Thank heavens I have a date of death or it would be a nightmare. I am also going to write to the church as I am thinking that it is possible he could have been buried but there is no headstone just a marker. Pity my Dad has such a bad memory!!

Jackie

Alan SHARP

Post by Alan SHARP » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:15 pm

Greetings Jackie.

Best of luck with your research. Though I'm not signed up, I also keep an eye on RootsChat, looking for research ideas. A saw a similar post, to yours there, and as the poster's line of research was about burial details at a NZ provincial city cemetery, and their user name, coupled with the family name being researched, made me think of a local photographer, I made direct contact with the same advise.

Unfortunately, though I found the right poster, he had beaten my suggestion, by already contacting the Undertaker, and found that the undertaker's records, for the period he was interested in, had been destroyed by fire.

Hopefully records still exist for you.

Alan SHARP.

Trevor Paterson

Post by Trevor Paterson » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:34 am

While travelling, to Canberra about 300km from our home, my wife was casually flicking through a magazine (Scottish Memories) in a newsagent's and saw a reference to your site. I logged on and registered when we arrived home.

My family originated in and around the shires and parishes of Glasgow and came to Australia in 1864. I have since written a book on A Journey From Glasgow - The Paterson Family in Australia and hope Talking Scotland and its members will be able to help me find those Patersons who stayed behind. I plan a visit to Glasgow in 2011 to research for (hopefully) a second publication and extend our Family Tree.

I am now about to commence my first in depth perusal of TalkingScot - wish me luck

Trevor Paterson
Bermagui, NSW
Australia
trevor_paterson AT aapt DOT net DOTau