Edwin or Edward

Southern part of Great Britain

Moderator: Global Moderators

emanday
Global Moderator

Edwin or Edward

Post by emanday » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:28 pm

I've got a bit of a conundrum :roll:

One of my son-in-law's rellies sometimes, in various censuses, is shown as Edwin (his birth name), others as Edward. Same wife's name and same birthplaces and ages +/- 1 year for both of them. At the time they got married he was calling himself Edwin.

Oh, and yes, they have the same kids too!

Just managed to find his death. I knew where and roughly what the year was +/- 1 year.

Here's the biggy conundrum - There is an Edward AND an Edwin, both in the same year, same quarter and BOTH showing the same volume and page numbers.

Anyone got any ideas?

Could his death have been registered by two different people, each knowing him by one or the other name?
Last edited by emanday on Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[b]Mary[/b]
A cat leaves pawprints on your heart
McDonald or MacDonald (some couldn't make up their mind!), Bonner, Crichton, McKillop, Campbell, Cameron, Gitrig (+other spellings), Clark, Sloan, Stewart, McCutcheon, Ireland (the surname)

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:35 pm

Hi Mary
This is not a very qualified reply as my knowledge of English proceedures is not great, but could it be that he was registered once each under both names and on the same page because he was known by both names?

If it is "same volume and page numbers" it has surely got to be the same guy.
...unless he had a twin and they regularly swapped identities, but I'm off in the realms of silliness now..... :lol:

Best wishes
Lesley

emanday
Global Moderator

Post by emanday » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:45 pm

LesleyB wrote:...unless he had a twin and they regularly swapped identities, but I'm off in the realms of silliness now..... :lol:
Believe me, that is mild compared to some of my theories :shock: :lol:

I'm tempted to order the DC - but which one? (ain't payin for both) Unless, of course, it is entered all on one DC but indexed as two names.

Aw - some folk can be Sooooo awkward.
[b]Mary[/b]
McDonald or MacDonald (some couldn't make up their mind!), Bonner, Crichton, McKillop, Campbell, Cameron, Gitrig (+other spellings), Clark, Sloan, Stewart, McCutcheon, Ireland (the surname)

Tracey
Global Moderator

Post by Tracey » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:29 pm

Here's the biggy conundrum - There is an Edward AND an Edwin, both in the same year, same quarter and BOTH showing the same volume and page numbers.

One of mine was registered twice under two sir names - one he was born with and the one he had used most of his adult life with both having the same Vol and Page number.
Chances are that its the same person :?

Added...............i was told that my birth was registered twice (but ive never looked) all because my name was spelt wrong :roll:
Scotland - Donaldson / Moggach / Shaw / Geddes / Sim / Gray / Mackie / Richards / Joel / Coull / Mckimmie / Panton / McGregor
Ireland and Scotland - Casey / McDade / Phillips / McCandle / Dinely / Comaskey + various spellings

emanday
Global Moderator

Post by emanday » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:45 pm

Thanks Lesley and Tracey. If it isn't the same person then it is probably the wildest coincidence I've ever seen.

I think I will bite the bullet and order the DC. My son-in-law and his father are just as mystified about this.
[b]Mary[/b]

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:04 pm

Hi Mary
I think I will bite the bullet and order the DC.
Ah, but which one?? :D :D :D
I'm sure when you are sinding for the cert, if you asked nicely some kind soul would confirm if they are one and the same and what the difference is between the two entries.

Best wishes
Lesley

Tracey
Global Moderator

Post by Tracey » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:17 pm

LesleyB wrote:Hi Mary
I think I will bite the bullet and order the DC.
Ah, but which one?? :D :D :D
I'm sure when you are sinding for the cert, if you asked nicely some kind soul would confirm if they are one and the same and what the difference is between the two entries.

Best wishes
Lesley
Yes, this just reminded me that i called the relevant records office rather than order from GRO.
Scotland - Donaldson / Moggach / Shaw / Geddes / Sim / Gray / Mackie / Richards / Joel / Coull / Mckimmie / Panton / McGregor
Ireland and Scotland - Casey / McDade / Phillips / McCandle / Dinely / Comaskey + various spellings

Tracey
Global Moderator

Post by Tracey » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:25 pm

Actually the above was for the death. I just checked the marriage

Marriage 1a 17* *** to *** 1a 17* March q 1946
Marriage *** to *** 1a 19* March Q 1946

One of the original entries has 6 or A written on end - all this is hand written on form, maybe this is significant if its the same person with two entries ?

So maybe not so obvious unless you know 100% its them / him :roll:

Currie

Post by Currie » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:14 am

Here’s an interesting page (see also births and marriages)
http://home.clara.net/dixons/Certificates/deaths.htm

Name and Surname of the Deceased
This is the name by which they were known at the time of death. If, therefore, someone started life with a different name but by usage has come to be called something else you will not find any reference to the original name on older certificates.

and……..
These days a person is frequently registered in more than one name so that all previous names would be shown.

Whatever that means exactly,
Alan

emanday
Global Moderator

Post by emanday » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:27 pm

Thanks for that Alan.

Does seem to explain it, doesn't it.

I'm wondering - if I ordered the one showing his correct name Edwin, is it likely that the DC might maybe also say something like "aka Edward" or am I clutching at straws :roll: ?
[b]Mary[/b]