Old maps?

Southern part of Great Britain

Moderator: Global Moderators

SarahND
Site Admin

Old maps?

Post by SarahND » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:27 am

Hi all,
Does anyone know of a good site, comparable to the wonderful National Library of Scotland map site, where one can find old maps of England?
I'm trying to pinpoint some place names around Dartmouth from the 1600's... and the modern maps just won't do it for me!

Can't find the right sort of map online, or maybe it's because I keep getting sidetracked with pages full of self-catering accommodations and I start planning a holiday :lol:

Thanks!
Sarah

Currie

Post by Currie » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:53 am

Hello Sarah,

For Dartmouth the maps on this site may do the trick
http://www.dartmouth-history.org.uk/

I’m sure there is or was a free site with old survey maps because I downloaded some for Wales but I can’t find it now. Maybe it has gone commercial.

There’s the list at Genuki.
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/Maps.html

Hope there’s something useful there,
Alan

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:57 am

Hi Sarah,

There is www.old-maps.co.uk but if its coverage of England is the same as that for Scotland, then it only goes back to the mid 19th century. I can't say I know of an NLS equivalent that would give you older maps.

All the best,

AndrewP

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:10 pm

Alan,
Wow! That Dartmouth History site is brilliant-- thanks for finding it! Not only old maps (exactly what I was looking for) but old documents, tithe records, etc. etc. If only every town had such a site!

Thanks also for the link with the GENUKI map list-- it will be helpful for others as well, since it covers all of England.

Gratefully,
Sarah

Currie

Post by Currie » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:57 am

That’s okay Sarah,

I could do with a few like that myself. I found it by searching for Dartmouth Map in Google Images, selected the Extra Large Images filter and spotted the Churchyard maps.

The old survey map site I mentioned is probably the site Andrew referred to as they have an identical Welsh map except that it’s been watermarked since I last saw it.

All the best,
Alan

Maisie

Post by Maisie » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:36 am

If you have any Lancashire relatives try www.mario.lancashire.gov.uk which allows you to overlay the OS first edition on the current map and plot how place names have changed and where old farms have disappeared. You can also view aerial photos from the 1940s and 1960s.

Maisie

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:08 pm

Very nice site, Maisie!
It took me a wee while to find where I was going... but I finally got there and was able to overlay the old map. Interesting how even the main roads from one village to another have shifted over the years. And easy to see which of the roads are now surrounded by new housing.

Regards,
Sarah