Gorton, Manchester; street & church query

Southern part of Great Britain

Moderator: Global Moderators

LesleyB

Gorton, Manchester; street & church query

Post by LesleyB » Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:13 pm

Hi all

Hoping somone knows this area, and can perhaps point me in the right direction. Feel like I'm going round and round in circles, partly because I do not know this area at all, and also I can't seem to find McCormack Street.

Having married in 1882, the couple I am interested in have a child born in 1883 in West Gorton and christened at St Marks Church, Gorton.(seen on St Marks Church, Gorton, Baptisms, 1862-1913. - FHL BRITISH Film [ 2113173 ]) but the above was the only child found for this family on this film, yet they appear to have lived in Gorton following this, and had five more children. I don't have a birth cert for the first 1883 birth, so don't have a street address for that year but in the 1881 census they not yet married, one living in Gorton and the other in Chorlton upon Medlock.

In 1892 they have a child whose christening I would very much like to see note of, as I suspect his registered name and his name given at christening may differ. They are still living at West Gorton, in McCormack (seems to also be spelt McCormick) Street. I'm not seeing this street on Google maps, even though I have the three churches plotted, so I suspect it perhaps no longer exists. Can anyone confirm this?

As far as I'm aware they were CoE, and there are two other Cof E churches in Gorton, apart from St Marks, in the LDS catalogue:
Parish registers for St. James, Gorton, 1600-1907 Church of England. Chapelry of Gorton (Lancashire)
Parish registers for the All Saints' Church, Gorton, 1876-1968 Church of England. All Saints' Church (Gorton, Lancashire)

Does anyone know the area? If the LDS films were still the cheaper rate, I'd have just ordered them both up, but I'd rather have some indication that I've got the more likely film before I pay my £7.50 as there is no guarantee I'll strike lucky at all! What I think might be helpful to know is how far each of these churches are from McCormack Street?
Alan Godfrey does produce an old 1905 map of the area, so if I'm really stuck, I'll maybe just have to order it!

Best wishes
Lesley

garibaldired

Re: Gorton, Manchester; street & church query

Post by garibaldired » Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:39 pm

I can't help directly Lesley even though some of my lot do come from this area.

However posting here might help: www.aidan.co.uk/forums/index.php

And Manchester Library
(http://www.manchester.gov.uk/info/448/a ... ch_service)

do offer (until 14 March 2010 as they are closing temporarily) a FREE specific look up so if you have a name and a year and only two churches.............

Sorry not to be of more help.

Best wishes,
Meg
Main family lines are Harpers from Midlothian, Fife & Kinross-shire, and Dobies/Dobbies from Midlothian. Also Strathearn, Stobie, Layden and Downie.

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:22 am

Meg

Thanks for your very helpful reply. How can I possibly resist the opportunity of a free look up!???! :lol:
Certainly one to follow up!

I have an exact date and a name, so it should not be too much of a problematic search for some poor soul at Manchester- either the christening is there or it is not, and as you say, only two other churches to check...well,OK, only two others I know of that are CofE. ....For all I know they may have joined some other congregation like the Methodists or similar after child no.1, just to make my search more of a challenge!

Best wishes
Lesley

Tracey
Global Moderator

Post by Tracey » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:30 am

Dont know if this is any use to you

http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/
Scotland - Donaldson / Moggach / Shaw / Geddes / Sim / Gray / Mackie / Richards / Joel / Coull / Mckimmie / Panton / McGregor
Ireland and Scotland - Casey / McDade / Phillips / McCandle / Dinely / Comaskey + various spellings

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:06 am

Hi Tracey

Thanks for the link - I've been there before. Unfortunately the coverage of Gorton churches is not very good yet. The only one they have covered in Gorton, St James, the date range stops too soon..... :roll:
http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/Manchester/Go ... index.html

Best wishes
Lesley

Maisie

Post by Maisie » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:08 pm

Hi Lesley

First, I'm pretty sure McCormack St doesn't exist any more. So if I understand your query corectly you want to know in which parish in Gorton it was?

By Googling McCormack and Gorton I found this entry on Rootschat

"In 1890 he re-married: Marriage 24th November 1890 All Saints Gorton
Also on Lancashire BMD marriage 1890 to Eliza Getliffe.

John Unwin 33 yrs Widower; a Carter 22 McCormack (?) Street
Father: George Unwin; Foreman (?)
Eliza Getliffe 23 yrs Spinster ; Piecer; same address
Father: John Getliffe ; Carder
both signes own names
Witnesses: Joseph Saunders (?) and Mary Ann San.... (her mark)

I found and agreed with Heywood that in 1891
RG12; Piece: 3175; Folio 47; Page 32

John and Eliza were living at 22 McCormack Street Gorton

John Unwin 34 yrs Carter b Macclesfield
Eliza 23 yrs b Ashton
Emma 14 yrs Cotton Carder
Sarah Ann 11 yrs
Arthur Wm 10 yrs
Martha Ann 8 yrs
George 6 yrs
John 2 yrs"

That suggests two courses of action. First, because they were married at All Saints you opt for that as the corect parish. Alternatively, and belt and braces, if SKS who has access to Ancestry can check the 1891 ensus entry for the Unwins above and see what the parish is? I'm afraid that because I'm mean I use the free Ancestry at the library and I wouldn't be able to call in before the end of the week. But let me know if you'd like me to do that.

Maisie

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:31 pm

Maisie wrote: Alternatively, and belt and braces, if SKS who has access to Ancestry can check the 1891 ensus entry for the Unwins above and see what the parish is?
The Unwins on McCormack Street are indeed in All Saints parish.

Cheers,
Sarah

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:29 pm

Hi Maisie and Sarah

Thanks for the clarification - I was leaning towards St James, having, with some help, located the area in which McCormack Street had been. I think I might just throw caution to the winds and order the All Saints film from my local LDS, if that is the parish the street is listed under. With any luck it will contain what I'm looking for, and if it doesn't then that is another church I can score off the list.
I'm afraid that because I'm mean I use the free Ancestry at the library and I wouldn't be able to call in before the end of the week.
That is exactly the same type of Ancestry sub I have, Maisie! :lol:

Best wishes
Lesley

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:00 pm

Hmm...just as well I'd not rushed into ordering up any films. Looks like a rethink is on the cards.

I have finally found the burial location of the father of this family, buried 1933, in Gorton, and in Non Conformist ground. Bother. :roll:
Given the number of Methodist churches, both Wesleyan and Primitive in Gorton, I could potentially be spending a fortune trying to find these guys. No way of telling when they changed congregations, so think I might have to give up on this one for the moment until either:
a. some clue appears which gives some idea as to which is the likely church they attended
b. I plan a trip to Manchester - probably not worth doing for a while though as the local studies and family history areas are currently involved in closures as part renovation and refurbishment....

:-

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:03 pm

...or
c. You take a field trip to the Family History Library in Salt Lake City and look at all the films in one go :D

[cheers]
Sarah