1911 Census - Brodron, Hampshire

Southern part of Great Britain

Moderator: Global Moderators

Ted

1911 Census - Brodron, Hampshire

Post by Ted » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:19 pm

Hi Folks

Any suggestions on how to get a search on the 1911 census for Brodron, Hampshire. I think the 32nd Brigade of the Royal Field Artillery were based there then. I'm looking to see if Gunner Robert Allan, born 1885 in Aberdeen, was there on the 1911 census. He is my grandfather and can't find him anywhere on the 1911 in Scotland. Just recently found out that the brigade was in Brodron then. He was a reserve soldier then and may have been doing his yearly recall stint then. This could help sort out a long standing brick wall.

Any suggestions - or a kind soul with access to a subscription site who could check it out.

Thanks lots

Ted
Looking for Allan / Gordon / Troup / McInnes / Grant / Taylor / Jackson from Aberdeen (city & shire) & Banffshire
Alexander / Allan / Stewart in W Lothian
Allan / Burnett in USA and Canada / Davidson & Philp in Fife and Lanarkshire

SarahND
Site Admin

Re: 1911 Census - Brodron, Hampshire

Post by SarahND » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:25 pm

Hello Ted,
I had a quick look at the 1911 census for England and there were a few Robert Allans born in Scotland, but none in Aberdeen and none in the military in Hampshire.

Is he the Robert Allan, a stonecutter who was born in Aberdeen and sailed from Glasgow to New York in March 1912? His father was James Allan in Kemnay. Either the same Robert Allan or a different one had ended up at 93 Warren Street, Roxbury, Massachusetts when his sister, Ann Allan, born Aberdeen, came to visit in 1935.

So many Robert Allans...

All the best,
Sarah

Ted

Post by Ted » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:52 pm

Hi Sarah

Many thanks for your help - mine isn't the one you found. However he did travel from Glasgow to Philadelphia in August 1911 to visit his brother Alexander and returned again in November that year. The strange bit is that on the outbound voyage passenger list he gave his occupation as a stone cutter /single/ next of kin his mother in Aberdeen. That bit is a mystery as he married my grandmother in 1909 and she was at home with their son when he went to the US. He wasn't with them on the 1911 census either. He was a civilian when they married (earlier service in RFA) but I think recalled as a reserve to the BEF to France in August 1914. The son mentioned above was run over and killed by a horse and cart 2 weeks after Robert went to France.

I do have the correct man on the 1911 passenger list as I have other evidence to corroborate it. They also did spend the rest of their lives together. I just have the puzzle of where he was on the 1911 census.

Thanks again for your help.

Ted
Looking for Allan / Gordon / Troup / McInnes / Grant / Taylor / Jackson from Aberdeen (city & shire) & Banffshire

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:31 am

So I guess he's not the stonecutter in Londonderry, Ireland in 1911 either :(
Oh well, as I said, too many people of that name!
Best of luck tracking him down.
Sarah

Ted

Post by Ted » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:58 pm

Thanks Sarah - unfortunately that one is not mine either. Seems that everyone in Aberdeen was a stone cutter at that time due to the paid carriage to the US to work in stone quarries - particularily in Vermont. 3 of my grandfathers brothers took advantage of the relocation package as stone cutters - despite all having never held a stone cutters hammer in their lives.

Great stuff.

Ted

garibaldired

Post by garibaldired » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:22 pm

Hello Ted,

I think you mean Bordon, Hants.
I have had a look on FMP but I'm afraid I have had no luck.
All I can offer is I too had a missing relative on the 1911 (and 1901 ) censuses and it wasn't until I found his service records that I discovered he was in India for both.
He doesn't appear on the Overseas Military, Ships and Overseas Establishments section of the census either so perhaps you have to conclude your grandfather was also abroad in 1911?

Best wishes,
Meg

Ted

Post by Ted » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:02 pm

Hi Meg

Thanks - I know he was in Scotland in August 1911 and that he was a civilian then. The regiment thing was a bit of a long shot - just wondered if he was at annual training then - he was in reserves at that point and not a full time soldier. He was recalled to duty in 1913 full time.

His service record for WW1 was destroyed along with most others in the WW2 blitz. I think that his pre war service record would have been with it all.

Thanks very much for looking.

Ted