in care

Southern part of Great Britain

Moderator: Global Moderators

hg

in care

Post by hg » Sat May 16, 2015 9:06 pm

Hi,

Wondered if anyone had any experience and/or tips on researching children in care In Bristol .....1930's and 40's. No idea where to start. Just a family story at the moment. The only information I have so far is on bc which has mother name but no father.

thank you
researching Glacken, in Edinburgh and Glasgow and Ireland, McCartney and McAnally in Glasgow, Belli in Italy and Edinburgh, O'farrel in Tyrone and edinburgh, Mchendrie, Dawson and Findlay from Banff then Edinburgh, Main in Edinburgh. Mcdonald.

hg

Re: in care

Post by hg » Sun May 17, 2015 9:52 am

I have found a contact email address for the council. Not sure I will have much luck though, the records appear to be closed until 2026.
Helen
researching Glacken, in Edinburgh and Glasgow and Ireland, McCartney and McAnally in Glasgow, Belli in Italy and Edinburgh, O'farrel in Tyrone and edinburgh, Mchendrie, Dawson and Findlay from Banff then Edinburgh, Main in Edinburgh. Mcdonald.

arthurk

Post by arthurk » Sun May 17, 2015 1:58 pm

Bristol was also home to the Muller orphanages - see http://mullers.org/ George Muller himself died in 1898, but the organisation he founded is still going.

Arthur
Kennedy (PER > LKS > ARM > England); Campbell, Rutherford, McDonald, Sinclair (all PER)
Wilson, Millar (RFW & LKS); Duncan (LKS); Hastings (KKD) (all > WRY)

hg

Post by hg » Sun May 17, 2015 2:05 pm

Thank you Arthur. I will have a look at that link.

Helen

StewL

Post by StewL » Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:00 am

Hello Helen
That was a very sad time in history for a number of children who were in care, they could easily have been taken to Canada or Australia, which sadly was a practice of the times. Unfortunately my profession were deeply involved in this sad form of human trafficking.
There is a book written by Margaret Humphrey's called "Oranges and Sunshine which details the sad sorry story, I do hope that your family members were not part of this story.
Perhaps searching for a marriage or death certificate may help, but if it is in England they are not cheap.
Stewie

Searching for: Anderson, Balks, Barton, Courtney, Davidson, Downie, Dunlop, Edward, Flucker, Galloway, Graham, Guthrie, Higgins, Laurie, Mathieson, McLean, McLuckie, Miln, Nielson, Payne, Phillips, Porterfield, Stewart, Watson

hg

Post by hg » Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:27 am

Thank you for taking the time to respond Stewie. It is my ex mother in law, she is now deceased and we have no contact with that side of the family any more. I don't think they knew much anyway as she never spoke much about it. I have her birth certificate and marriage certificate. I am afraid they have not enabled me to push forward much more. She was born in 1921, her mother is Gwennie Dyer, she was illegitimate. Then in 1944 when she was 17 she marries my ex father in law. The bit of research I have done so far about children in care leads me to believe the records would still be sealed

Helen